CX-5 Premium Plus Engine leaking oil

Never heard of a Skyactiv leaking oil. With the exception of the cylinder head issues on the turbo's, seldom do i hear much go wrong at all on these cars. I know I always talk about 300K KM plus (no leaks, ever...) on my Skyactiv 2.5, but really there are individuals on the same NA drivetrain who have nearly doubled this with barely any issue.

Never heard of a Skyactiv leaking oil. With the exception of the cylinder head issues on the turbo's, seldom do i hear much go wrong at all on these cars. I know I always talk about 300K KM plus (no leaks, ever...) on my Skyactiv 2.5, but really there are individuals on the same NA drivetrain who have nearly doubled this with barely any issue.
Thank you for this insight with high mileage Mazda's.

The more time I've spent under the hood of our 24 CX5 T, the more I like what I see. Mazda has nice brackets to firmly hold tubing and wiring from vibrating. The wire looms are of heavy material. The intake has more bolts and RTV to seal it vs a Honda 2.4l.

I pulled a wheel to look at the brakes and suspension. I like the brake caliper and strut design over Honda. Calipers are like the Ram but smaller. Easy to remove and replace pads. The strut on the Honda is clamped at the bottom, not bolted. I always thought this was weird.

I put a torque wrench on some of the intake bolts. They were to spec. The fasteners and connectors look to be of good quality.

I'm just getting into these cool cars. So far I'm impressed with the workmanship and engineering.

As an example of not supported hoses, I changed out power steering return hoses on my 2006 2500 Ram, CTD. These hoses had developed pin hole leaks by the clamps. Granted they have lasted 265K and 18 years. These hoses were hanging from the bottom of the power steering pump. I'm going to zip tie them to prevent movement. Did the same to other cables and hoses.

Timing cover leaks and oil pan leaks were common a few years ago. It's a 3 piece block design and the timing cover fits right over where two pieces are bolted together. My 2014 CX5 had the infamous timing cover leak/weep whatever you want to call it, and my 2015 had the timing cover and oil pan leak as well. Oil pan was replaced.
Incidentally, when the CX5 was a fairly new model my dealer would bend over backwards to fix "seepage" or any little annoyance there was. Now over the years I notice they tend to explain away stuff as a wait-and -see-how-bad-it-gets kind of a deal. I guess that's called progress.

Timing cover leaks and oil pan leaks were common a few years ago. It's a 3 piece block design and the timing cover fits right over where two pieces are bolted together. My 2014 CX5 had the infamous timing cover leak/weep whatever you want to call it, and my 2015 had the timing cover and oil pan leak as well. Oil pan was replaced.
Incidentally, when the CX5 was a fairly new model my dealer would bend over backwards to fix "seepage" or any little annoyance there was. Now over the years I notice they tend to explain away stuff as a wait-and -see-how-bad-it-gets kind of a deal. I guess that's called progress.
Sounds reasonable to me. Some seepage is not a hazard, will impact engine life or dripping on the floor.

My 2.4l Honda had seepage around the valve cover. It never dripped on the floor or require adding oil between oil changes.

At 100k, I removed the v cover to adjust the valves, replaced the v cover gasket, rtv on the corner and off we went. I washed the engine and engine bay with Dove so that I could see any seepage.

I try not to let the dealership touch my cars. I don't have confidence who is working on them. It's a scrap shoot.

I have invested in tools over the years to handle easy procedures. I have worked up to assembling engines, rebuild differentials and transmissions. This way I know what parts are in it and the work was performed with care. Who else wrenches rather than finger point.in this forum?

Overall Mazda makes an excellent car. It's difficult to prevent oil seepage at joints, even with rtv. This is occurs across the industry. Yet engines go 100 of thousands of miles.

I can't imagine why you would consider those two things to be mutually exclusive. I do both of them - a great deal of the former but also the later, whenever I believe it's justified. And I know that a number of others here do likewise.
I was beginning to believe there were only "the later" folks here.

Good to see I'm not the Lone Ranger! :)

You are not incorrect. Majority of new owners come to post and complain, some ask for advice.
The trend is definetely shifting but it is what it is. Its same with some other car brands forums.
If you browse through old topics you would see a lot more useful information. Lately its mainly my mirror is shining too much or whats that noise or cant update my navigation, etc :)

You are not incorrect. Majority of new owners come to post and complain, some ask for advice.
The trend is definetely shifting but it is what it is. Its same with some other car brands forums.
If you browse through old topics you would see a lot more useful information. Lately its mainly my mirror is shining too much or whats that noise or cant update my navigation, etc :)

What I've seen a lot in recent years are 'helpless' people getting on a forum and asking questions, expecting someone else to do the legwork for them, instead of picking up the owner's manual and reading it.

Last edited:
Part of the reason I join forums like these is to research and reference other people's experience before attempting to tackle something on my own. If I can't find any answers in the usual channels, or if I want clarification on particular steps, I'll create a post or start a thread.

Nothing wrong with a gentle reminder to nudge these "helpless" people in the right direction, while also providing the answer to their question. Gotta remember that some of these users come from places like Facebook or Reddit, where it's much more common to ask the question instead of researching the answer.

Part of the reason I join forums like these is to research and reference other people's experience before attempting to tackle something on my own. If I can't find any answers in the usual channels, or if I want clarification on particular steps, I'll create a post or start a thread.

Nothing wrong with a gentle reminder to nudge these "helpless" people in the right direction, while also providing the answer to their question. Gotta remember that some of these users come from places like Facebook or Reddit, where it's much more common to ask the question instead of researching the answer.
X2, exactly why I searched and joined this forum!

It would be nice if the moderator started a Newbie Sticky section where good tech write ups are saved and easy to access.

On the Cummins forum, we see the same question several times a week. These guys are new to the forum and don't know about Newbie Sticky section. We refer them to this area and they can find most of their answers.

Another handy feature on this forum is a Signature shown at the bottom of the post. Since most of us have modified our trucks over the years, this helps the helpers see what is going on and zero in on the issue. This would be handy on this forum to see at a glance NA/Turo, mileage, mods and so forth. I'm not sure if the format supports a signature feature...

I read requests for help and they leave off info like mileage, year model, NA or Turbo and any mods. When asked about service intervals, so far these requests have been ignored. :rolleyes:

There are signatures, but there's a downside: they don't show when the page is loaded on a phone. I've put my current car next to my name.

It would be nice if the moderator started a Newbie Sticky section where good tech write ups are saved and easy to access.

Another handy feature on this forum is a Signature shown at the bottom of the post. Since most of us have modified our trucks over the years, this helps the helpers see what is going on and zero in on the issue.

We do have stickied Resource threads in the General sections of most of the current Mazda model subforums. These threads explain the Resource feature and contain a link to the related Resources for that model. Some of the newer model forums do need Resource sticky threads created (CX-50 to CX-90), I'll get started on that soon.

Users can also edit their profile information to include the vehicles they own/drive and their locations if they want to. Much like signatures, they only work if users take the time to fill that info out.

We do have stickied Resource threads in the General sections of most of the current Mazda model subforums. These threads explain the Resource feature and contain a link to the related Resources for that model. Some of the newer model forums do need Resource sticky threads created (CX-50 to CX-90), I'll get started on that soon.

View attachment 325863

Users can also edit their profile information to include the vehicles they own/drive and their locations if they want to. Much like signatures, they only work if users take the time to fill that info out.
Thanks @sm1ke for the correction!

I'll look through this these Stickies and get educated. Maybe there are instructions on installing front and rear sway bars. Saturday the CX-5 is getting stiffer bars with urethane bushings!

In a few weeks, coilovers will arrive and I'll add the toe and camber kit when installing the coilovers and drop this beast a couple of inches.

Thanks @sm1ke for the correction!

I'll look through this these Stickies and get educated. Maybe there are instructions on installing front and rear sway bars. Saturday the CX-5 is getting stiffer bars with urethane bushings!

In a few weeks, coilovers will arrive and I'll add the toe and camber kit when installing the coilovers and drop this beast a couple of inches.

Less a correction, more of a clarification (y) Thanks for the indirect reminder about the Resources.

Also, something I just realized - if you go to the Resources section, you can then click on the Search button (top right), and in the drop-down menu, you can change "Everywhere" to "Resources" to only show results from the Resources section.

I did happen to find this resource, which might help with your upcoming installations:

Aside from that, I remember seeing a thread or two about sway bar installations in the CX-5 forum, but I don't remember if it was specific to the 1st gen or the 2nd gen (or if there is much of a difference in the installation between the two generations).

Less a correction, more of a clarification (y) Thanks for the indirect reminder about the Resources.

Also, something I just realized - if you go to the Resources section, you can then click on the Search button (top right), and in the drop-down menu, you can change "Everywhere" to "Resources" to only show results from the Resources section.

I did happen to find this resource, which might help with your upcoming installations:

Aside from that, I remember seeing a thread or two about sway bar installations in the CX-5 forum, but I don't remember if it was specific to the 1st gen or the 2nd gen (or if there is much of a difference in the installation between the two generations).
I've scanned CX5 resources and found a front sway bar install for a 2nd Gen. That will be close enough or the same as a 3rd Gen.

Thank you for creating and maintaining this section.

The procedure looks similar to replacing a front sway bar on an 8th gen Honda...fun...!

If one never drops the plastic cover under motor they may never notice any weeps or seeps that could be collecting under the motor that don't make it to the ground. My rear main seal leak was not obvious from the topside or even on simple oil changes without dropping the cover...but the TC cover leak that comes and goes to this day can be viewed topside. Nothing weeping, seeping or leaking to point of affecting the oil level to any noticeable amount on the dipstick.

Guidelines released in late 2019 to determine what will be repaired in regards to leaks, weeps, seepage

If one never drops the plastic cover under motor they may never notice any weeps or seeps that could be collecting under the motor that don't make it to the ground. My rear main seal leak was not obvious from the topside or even on simple oil changes without dropping the cover...but the TC cover leak that comes and goes to this day can be viewed topside. Nothing weeping, seeping or leaking to point of affecting the oil level to any noticeable amount on the dipstick.

Guidelines released in late 2019 to determine what will be repaired in regards to leaks, weeps, seepage

Thanks for the tip!

I'm going to drop the belly pan every 15k when I change the ATF. I'll look for a W/S/L around the main seal and such..

Weird the VC W, S or L intermittently. An irritant for sure, not a deal killer for me. Every vehicle I've ever owned had the special charms...😁

Belly pan is coming off Monday when I install Meagan Racing front and rear anti roll bars with urethane bushings. We may have 500 miles on it by then.

Waiting on BC Racing coilovers and lighter wheels. That should do it until we can tune a 24...

Last edited:
Total BS!!!

Care to name this dealer?

If it's an option for you, find another dealership and have them take a look. Then never return to the first dealer, tell them why.
Tim Dhale Murray, Salt Lake City.

seeps and weeps and leaks...leaks get fixed weeps and seeps not always. I have said Japanese workmanship has fallen way off over the last couple of years....my Ram truck has been flawless since I bought it new in 2020...mexican workmanship has surpassed Japanese workmanship....:)
this is honestly sad. We should be enjoying our brand-new cars - anything opposite shouldn't be acceptable. New cars are purchased because they are new and without problems. We had plenty of options to buy cars with weeping, seeping, or leaking for less money than this.

I've just about replaced, repaired or fixed every system on my 06 RAM except the engine. It was steeler up to 230K. The past 35K has been renewal time. I think I'm through for another 250k.

I just replace the power steering pump, hydroboost and 5 hoses. It worked but LEAKED. Most folks would have ignored these small leaks. Turns out it had 3, P pump seal, hydroboost and 2 hoses. For today, the 18 year old 365k has no leaks, seeps or weeps. :p

I hope I'm so lucky on the Mazda. Time will tell. A seep, weep is an annoyance. But a puddle of oil on the floor will not be tolerated.

I'm impressed with the Mazda paint finish, the body panels fit up and general engineering.
Nothing to be impressed with cx5 2021. Sadly, more issues than any other car I owned and purchased as pre-owned. Electricity issues came up in February, completely dead engine. Towed twice to the dealership, a master warning sign. The dealership doesn't know what is going on. or they are ignorant, or they are covering Mazda's bad engineering. NEVER AGAIN to buy Mazda.

Thank you for this insight with high mileage Mazda's.

The more time I've spent under the hood of our 24 CX5 T, the more I like what I see. Mazda has nice brackets to firmly hold tubing and wiring from vibrating. The wire looms are of heavy material. The intake has more bolts and RTV to seal it vs a Honda 2.4l.

I pulled a wheel to look at the brakes and suspension. I like the brake caliper and strut design over Honda. Calipers are like the Ram but smaller. Easy to remove and replace pads. The strut on the Honda is clamped at the bottom, not bolted. I always thought this was weird.

I put a torque wrench on some of the intake bolts. They were to spec. The fasteners and connectors look to be of good quality.

I'm just getting into these cool cars. So far I'm impressed with the workmanship and engineering.

As an example of not supported hoses, I changed out power steering return hoses on my 2006 2500 Ram, CTD. These hoses had developed pin hole leaks by the clamps. Granted they have lasted 265K and 18 years. These hoses were hanging from the bottom of the power steering pump. I'm going to zip tie them to prevent movement. Did the same to other cables and hoses.
Hm, wonder how nicely you describe these new Maxda CX5... Lol. Some bots maybe???? I'm not sure how your posts have any relation to the issue and the theme I posted????? Few drops of positive marketing maybe?

Yeah authorized dealership told me to wait and see. Once I am stuck in the middle of Wyoming desert again, I'll cry and they will laugh. this is honestly sad. Unbelievably sad.

Appears to be weeping and not leaking. If within the 3/36 get it fixed by the dealer.
No weeping or leaking should happen with the new car. this is honestly sad.

:) Thank you! Good to use your resources!

Hm, wonder how nicely you describe these new Maxda CX5... Lol. Some bots maybe???? I'm not sure how your posts have any relation to the issue and the theme I posted????? Few drops of positive marketing maybe?

They are not a bot.

Yeah authorized dealership told me to wait and see. Once I am stuck in the middle of Wyoming desert again, I'll cry and they will laugh. this is honestly sad. Unbelievably sad.
Chances are that you're not going to be stuck in the middle of a Wyoming desert, or anywhere else, because of a slow weeping leak of oil anywhere on your engine.

I could be wrong though; I was once before...

Back