CX-5 Fuel Leak Recall and Stop Sale

Bought my 2016 CX-5 GT last November. At 4800 miles I took it to the dealer for its first oil change. Asked if they could also do the recall fix. I was in and out the door for both in 40 minutes.

Went in for an alignment before I get new tires and they did it.

Got it done with the free 5k oil change. Service adviser told me it'll take them 5 min.

Mazda recall notice

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    467.2 KB · Views: 294
My recall notice also arrived in today's mail. I took my CX-5 in for it's 2nd scheduled oil change in February and they did not mention the recall. I will probably have it done later in the summer or fall. Had my vehicle for nearly 2 years now and only have 9500 miles on it.

Just noticed the first scrape on the passenger door. (mad)

Just got a letter in the mail regarding our 2.0L mazda 3. Two special service bulletins (like a recall but not a recall...), one was to bring it in and have the coolant concentration checked, apparently some were shipped with it off spec. The other SSB was regarding the spare tire pressure not being up to spec coming from the factory. Obviously, that one is easy to check...

Other than getting the recall "on-record" as completed one could do this recall in 5 minutes at home.

Other than getting the recall "on-record" as completed one could do this recall in 5 minutes at home.

I think it would important to get it on official record so there are no outstanding recalls visible when selling or trading it in.

I think it would important to get it on official record so there are no outstanding recalls visible when selling or trading it in.

Not disputing that at all... just acknowledging that this one is about as basic as it gets for the shade tree mechanic as it doesn't require any additional parts (removal only) other than applying something equivalent to vehicle undercoating to a minuscule area.

Not disputing that at all... just acknowledging that this one is about as basic as it gets for the shade tree mechanic as it doesn't require any additional parts (removal only) other than applying something equivalent to vehicle undercoating to a minuscule area.

So what EXACTLY does it require them to do?

Do the techs have to remove any interior or exterior panels??

Only area that was disturbed was shown in picture.... they probably have put it on a lift....unsure on that part. I'll try simulating getting my hand up there with a ratchet. If I was doing this at home I would be using some ramps to ensure the undercoating was applied properly.

Some good info here

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/jaxrs/download/doc/UCM497833/RCLRPT-16V064-9283.PDF

Vehicle : 2014-2016 Mazda CX-5
Vehicle Type : LIGHT VEHICLES
Body Style : SUV
Power Train : GAS
Descriptive Information : 2014 - 2016 model year CX-5, built from June 27, 2013 through January 20, 2016 at
Hiroshima plant of Mazda Motor Corporation, Japan.
Production Dates : JUN 27, 2013 - FEB 02, 2016

Update on 2/6/2016, the total number of subject vehicle and the VIN range
of 2016MY vehicles, production period have been revised.
S6.4 of FMVSS No. 301 requires that, when a vehicle is rotated on its
longitudinal axis to each successive increment of 90 degrees, following an
impact crash test of S6.2 (b), fuel spillage shall not exceed the limit of S5.6.
There was no spillage during the impact crash test of S6.2 (b), however
when the vehicle was rotated according to S6.4, the amount of fuel spillage
exceeded the limit of S5.6.
FMVSS 1 :301 - Fuel system integrity
FMVSS 2 :NR
Description of the Safety Risk :There is a possibility the fuel filler pipe could rupture during an impact crash
similar to S6.2 (b) of FMVSS No. 301 and for the fuel to leak from the rupture if the vehicle has a rollover similar to S5.6 of FMVSS No. 301. Leakage of gasoline
presents the risk of a fire.
Description of the Cause : When the vehicle was tested according to S6.2 (b) of FMVSS No. 301, a rupture on
the filler pipe appeared to be created during the impact.
NHTSA performed a compliance test of FMVSS No. 301 on a 2015MY Mazda CX-5 at
KARCO Engineering LLC, CA. There was no fuel spillage during the test of S6.2. When the vehicle was rotated
according to S6.4, the amount of fuel spillage exceeded the limit of S5.6.
Mazda attendees for the test observed this phenomenon on site and reported it to Mazda Motor
Corporation in Japan.
January 19, 2016: Mazda Motor Corporation in Japan started the investigation.
January 29, 2016: On the basis of the test result and investigation, Mazda concluded that the test
performed by the NHTSA was valid and decided to conduct a noncompliance recall campaign on 2014 –
2016MY Mazda CX-5 vehicles.

Owners of record will be notified of this issue and instructed to take their
vehicles to a Mazda dealer for repair. The repair will be to remove an
attachment bolt on a left rear side member attaching the bracket of the fuel
filler pipe. This will prevent the rupture on the fuel filler pipe by changing
the load path during the rear crash impact. For the remedy in the field and at
ports, a tape will be applied to cover the hole for the bolt mount.. For the
production on or after February 1, 2016, a rubber pad will be placed
between the body member and the bracket and a plastic fastener will be
used for attaching the bolt.
The repair will be performed free of charge to the
vehicle owners.
How Remedy Component Differs from Recalled Component : The attachment between the fuel filler pipe and
the left rear side member will be changed, so it
can be distinguished easily when it is inspected
the area.
Identify How/When Recall Condition was Corrected in Production : Implementation date will be February 1,

Only area that was disturbed was shown in picture.... they probably have put it on a lift....unsure on that part. I'll try simulating getting my hand up there with a ratchet. If I was doing this at home I would be using some ramps to ensure the undercoating was applied properly.
If this is all the recall fix did, that's really just a patch work to me. The filler neck will be even looser after that.

Back