CX-5 Fuel Leak Recall and Stop Sale

Hmmmm, I have not received recall notice yet and my dealer says they cannot do fix until I get the notice. They say notices should be sent out within two weeks. Does that sound right because it seems some folks are already getting the fix done.

Might wanna check another dealership as ours is not on the Mazda site but the dealer is doing the recall for us no problem.

Most likely it was built before the change was put in. Vehicles built before summer 2013 aren't affected.
I bought it in April of 2013. It was one of the first 2014 models to hit my dealers lot.

My service rep ran a printout with no recalls for that as of yet. I asked about the loaner car and she said that until instructions come from Mazda they can't do a thing.

OK my dealer called me back. They have the parts and instructions from MAZDA and are fixing my car 8:15 tomorrow morning

Having mine done tomorrow and it'll only be an hour so I'll wait...no biggie...
I'll actually feel better cause now that I've got my snow tires on I'm paranoid about getting crunched by "ALL SEASON" tire drivers...(omg)

Last edited:
Hmmmm, I have not received recall notice yet and my dealer says they cannot do fix until I get the notice. They say notices should be sent out within two weeks. Does that sound right because it seems some folks are already getting the fix done.

My dealership said the same thing when I inquired about it last week. I don't have a letter yet either. I actually brought in my Mazda3 to have some work done and a couple there was bringing in their new CX-5 to have this fixed per the recall, so I asked about it and the service tech said I shouldn't schedule anything until I get the letter because they don't have enough parts on hand to repair all of them right away. I guess that couple had received their recall notice.

I was told that they take the bolt out, run some teflon tape on it, reinsert it and then spray some undercoat on the assembly. Will pick mine up tonight.

Just had mine done at Keffer Mazda. that's also what they did to mine Took about twenty minutes

Service call was at 3pm today..arrived at 2:30pm..fuel filler tube bolt was replaced and I was out the door at 2:45pm...
My Dealer however didn't buy it when I told them I also won the lottery drawing on the hot red Miata out front though...
Great car, great Service...very happy CX-5 owner...

I was told that they take the bolt out, run some teflon tape on it, reinsert it and then spray some undercoat on the assembly. Will pick mine up tonight.

This sounds pretty fishy if this is true. I love to see the engineering test the proves tape and a little undercoating fixes the issue. Would it not make more sense to replace the bolt with a smaller plastic version, or even a zip tie that would break away in a collision? We need pictures of the fix!

im concerned as a 2016 CX-5 owner from Canada, that I have not received any notice from Mazda either in mail, or email or phone about this, and the only reason I found out was by coming to these forums. I looked up my VIN on Mazda canadas website and sure enough, recall. yet they send me surveys, oil change notices, you name it.

im concerned as a 2016 CX-5 owner from Canada, that I have not received any notice from Mazda either in mail, or email or phone about this, and the only reason I found out was by coming to these forums. I looked up my VIN on Mazda canadas website and sure enough, recall. yet they send me surveys, oil change notices, you name it.

I have a 2015 Mazda 5 and also have not received a notice. I believe they will get to me in due time. If you are concerned, I think you should contact your dealer and ask for a prompt repair.

I have a 2016 CX-5 as well and I haven't received notice from Mazda either. However, I did look up my VIN # and it comes up for the recall.

I had my CX 5 first service last week. I questioned the apparent recall and was told they would look into it.
Received my car back with no work done regards the recall.

Same here; Infact, Paris1 pointed out to me that I missed it on the forum too! I joined the forum a few months shy of a year ago and have noticed that the sheer number of posts from then to now has more than doubled...This forum rocks! Thanks to all.

I have a 2016 CX-5 as well and I haven't received notice from Mazda either. However, I did look up my VIN # and it comes up for the recall.

Notices are sometimes sent out as part supplies become available.

^exactly. I had my car in this week because I had push button start problems. I figured I would have this done at the same time. They said that notices would be sent out as soon as they had the supplies for the repair, which they currently did not have.

I had the repair done this morning during an oil change visit. I can confirm that the repair involves removing a bolt, applying a kind of tape, and spraying with undercoat. The removed bolt stays off and for good reason. It was the part causing the pipe ruptures under the right conditions. I hope this information is helpful and cuts through a lot of the misinformation about the recall.

Anyone know which bolt?

5470535.gif

Back