CX-5 Fuel Leak Recall and Stop Sale

+1 My kids are 24 and 26 and if they're in the park, I'm always suspicious...

Really wondering if it does apply to all Mazda CX-5... Looking up by VIN on Mazda website, safecar.gov, etc., no open recall applies to my 2014 CX-5 Touring

An article posted in the other thread stated that the affected change was applied to vehicles built Summer 2013 and later. Check the build date on your driver's door sill. Mine was built in a January 2013 and as of today still no listing on Mazda site or the gov's.

Hey gang, I just found out about the recall yesterday while using Yahoo.

Anyhow, I called my local dealership in Central Florida and I was told that they don't have the parts or information to do the fix.
I stated that I needed a loaner for my wife and the kids since it was stated in an article I did read. Also, I made it clear I didn't feel comfortable the family driving the CX5.
I was put on hold for few minutes while they checked with the manager, the lady was nice and I was told to pick up a loaner.

I got a Mazda 6 with 350 miles.
I'm glad Mazda is proactive, but it makes me realize that the problem must be serious since they gave me a loaner for God knows how long.

I'll keep you posted about the length of the repair.

They want customers to be comfortable. Unlike Ford, who refuses to provide loaners for people affected by the Takata airbags in their cars, Mazda has more to lose. It's expensive to be sure, but the right decision in the long run to put worried owners in a loaner, even if it is sort of unnecessary.

An article posted in the other thread stated that the affected change was applied to vehicles built Summer 2013 and later. Check the build date on your driver's door sill. Mine was built in a January 2013 and as of today still no listing on Mazda site or the gov's.

Guess mine is probably not affected since I bought mine in July and build date was around April if I remember correctly.

Was this a letter / notification you received? The Mazda recalls website doesn't display anything when entering my VIN.

I got this to show up on the mazdausa website. Remedy not yet available? ok.

I got this to show up on the mazdausa website. Remedy not yet available? ok.

Yup...my VIN came up now. Keeping it all in perspective...I'll call my dealer after business travel and vacation. Given everything posted on the subject the timing will likely be right as I expect parts / fix to be available towards the end of February.

I just contacted the service manager via email about loaner vehicle from them. There service advisor was of no help yesterday. My wife is not wanting me to drive with the kiddos until the car is fixed. She like to worry like that. If I get the run around from the service manager what should be my next step? Should I call Mazda USA and talk to someone there? I don't want to be "That Guy" that creates more problems then necessary at the dealership. Makes me worry what they are going to do with my car while it waits for repair. I have Zero faith in this dealership and as soon as my last free oil change is used I doubt I will ever be back. I really wanted to like the dealership, they are going thru a remodel that looks really nice but they fall flat on their face every time I bring up an issue. Seat rocks = they won't do anything cause one other CX-5 has seat that rocks. Headlights aimed a bit low = they can shim the whole housing cause they don't even know if the headlights have a vertical adjustment. I haven't even mentioned to them the "drips" and runs that are on the inside of the passenger headlight. Help me out, what should I do since my wife doesn't want me driving the CX-5 as is?

Demand a Mirage rental imo.

Try here
https://vinrcl.safercar.gov/vin/

mine shows up there but not on Mazda site

My VIN is in the recall. Here is what site says.

SUMMARY:
The fuel filler pipe could rupture during a rear collision, and could potentially cause fuel leakage.

SAFETY RISK:
When fuel leakage occurs there is a risk of a fire.

REMEDY:
The attachment between the fuel filler pipe and the vehicle body will be changed.
RECALL STATUS: Recall INCOMPLETE. Remedy not yet available

From when I originally got the paperwork from the dealer I purchased it from, it said they do not provide loaners but will get me a discounted rate through a car rental place.

The second dealer, who had to replace my AC condenser offered the same. However now that I think back, I am not sure if they were going to cover the entire cost of a rental or just negotiate a deal for me. I declined the rental because it was too much of a hassle at the time - the car was only in the shop over 1 night. It definitely wasn't going to be a loaner from their lot though.

I guess it all depends on the dealer that you're working with. My dealer was good in this department, but crappy in giving me a BS story about how the drivers side seat rock is normal.

when i traded in my last cx5 for my new one they gave me a loaner cx5 till they could locate the cx 5 i wanted. i had a loaner car for like 6 days. it was sweet. best mazda dealer i have ever delt with. ive bought 4 cars from them. cj wilson mazda in countryside illinois.! i need to go in for an oil change soon so ill see if i can get any info from them about this.

Mazda has sent us (Mazda Dealerships) dealer packets explaining the recall. As of now they are preparing to distribute any tooling or parts required to perform the recall repair. We had a technical meeting regarding this recall today. Mazda CX-5 owners should be receiving a letter on or shortly after February 9th. There is no need to ask for a loaner vehicle or abandon your car at the side of the road. IF the car was filled up in the last 10 or 20kms and IF you were in a rear end collision, the fuel filler MIGHT crack, and fuel MIGHT spill out. Regardless to that Mazda is fixing the problem on all of the affected CX-5s one the dealerships are ready to handle the repair.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

If you're concerned about it run the vehicle with half a tank of fuel until its fixed.

cartracer12....thanks for info!!!

I am feeling really good how Mazda is stepping up on this even if minor in the grand scheme of things.

Mazda has sent us (Mazda Dealerships) dealer packets explaining the recall. As of now they are preparing to distribute any tooling or parts required to perform the recall repair. We had a technical meeting regarding this recall today. Mazda CX-5 owners should be receiving a letter on or shortly after February 9th. There is no need to ask for a loaner vehicle or abandon your car at the side of the road. IF the car was filled up in the last 10 or 20kms and IF you were in a rear end collision, the fuel filler MIGHT crack, and fuel MIGHT spill out. Regardless to that Mazda is fixing the problem on all of the affected CX-5s one the dealerships are ready to handle the repair.

Do you think they will authorize loaners for all affected vehicles? Or is it up to each dealer?

citybrake windshield recall

While checking out the fuel recall I found this (may already be a thread here):

Manufacturer: PILKINGTON NORTH AMERICA, INC.

SUMMARY:
Pilkington North America, Inc. (Pilkington) is recalling certain replacement windshields, model FW04026 GTY, manufactured November 23, 2015, to December 16, 2015 for use in Mazda CX-5 vehicles that are equipped with the Smart City Brake Support system. The affected windshields have a bracket mounted on the inside to hold a laser sensor or LIDAR device for the Smart City Brake Support system. These brackets were improperly affixed with only tape instead of tape and urethane and therefore may loosen.
CONSEQUENCE:
If the bracket loosens or detaches from the windshield, the safety features of the Smart City Brake Support system may be disabled and therefore increase the risk of a crash.
REMEDY:
Pilkington will contact the wholesalers and retailers that purchased the windshields to try to identify the affected customers. The affected windshields will be replaced, free of charge. This recall is expected to begin on February 12, 2016. Owners may contact Pilkington at 1-844-278-7230.
NOTES:
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.

Back