CX-5 Fuel Leak Recall and Stop Sale

I would never buy a mazda miata, not really my thing.
But every review says they are the most fun car out there to drive.
That is what I would ask for as a loner, just to see what all the fuss is about....................

That is what I would ask for as a loner, just to see what all the fuss is about....................

The loaners are usually base mazda3 sedans.

Be careful. I test drove one and ended up buying....they're just too much fun.

My dad has one. Yes, absolutely a blast to drive. Like a gokart. And the thing actually has some speed for its small engine. Well, certainly feels like it.

Be careful. I test drove one and ended up buying....they're just too much fun.

Yeah, no surprise. Love to drive his. The tranny in that thing is just so smooth and responsive. The whole package is awesome.

Yeah, you just might buy it. My friend east of the mountains has an older Miata and he loves it. When he wants a romantic getaway with his wife they just throw two small bags in the trunk and roam around the greater PNW, stopping at a different hotel/motel each night. With all the money they save on gas they don't feel guilty hitting up interesting places to eat and drink nor do they feel bad covering a lot of ground, seeing the sights.

It good business for a car dealership to offer the latest models as loaners. Sometimes the customer and the new car just click and the customer decides to upgrade to the latest/greatest or add to his/her "fleet". This probably won't happen very often with a Mazda 3 (but you never know).

Just bought a CX 5 today and they wouldn't let me drive it off the lot. They gave us Mazda 6 with 8 miles on it for a loaner. Hopefully get the CX 5 in a day or 2.

Just bought a CX 5 today and they wouldn't let me drive it off the lot. They gave us Mazda 6 with 8 miles on it for a loaner. Hopefully get the CX 5 in a day or 2.

I'm confused. So they were allowed to sell you a car, that you can't even have. Makes no sense.

But congrats on the purchase.

I don't know if this is funny or sad....you guys seem more excited about the possibility of driving a different car, rather than actually having to continue driving the cx5. lol

It speaks for how desirable Mazda's other offerings are though. Miata's are definitely fun cars to drive.

I'm glad Mazda is stepping forward and offering a fix before something actually happens. It's sad that it affects so many units but I'm happy that it's a relatively minor problem. I definitely wouldn't be happy if they told us to stop driving the car immediately until further notice.

24420297799_53169c8c4f_o.jpg

Hey gang, I just found out about the recall yesterday while using Yahoo.

Anyhow, I called my local dealership in Central Florida and I was told that they don't have the parts or information to do the fix.
I stated that I needed a loaner for my wife and the kids since it was stated in an article I did read. Also, I made it clear I didn't feel comfortable the family driving the CX5.
I was put on hold for few minutes while they checked with the manager, the lady was nice and I was told to pick up a loaner.

I got a Mazda 6 with 350 miles.
I'm glad Mazda is proactive, but it makes me realize that the problem must be serious since they gave me a loaner for God knows how long.

I'll keep you posted about the length of the repair.

I'm confused. So they were allowed to sell you a car, that you can't even have. Makes no sense.

But congrats on the purchase.

Yeah it is kind of crazy. They didn't seem to think it was going to be a big deal. Our down payment check has a hold on it though.

Oh and I did ask for a Miata, but they didn't even have one on the lot.

Really wondering if it does apply to all Mazda CX-5... Looking up by VIN on Mazda website, safecar.gov, etc., no open recall applies to my 2014 CX-5 Touring

I'm glad Mazda is proactive, but it makes me realize that the problem must be serious since they gave me a loaner for God knows how long.

It sounds like they are taking good care of you. I wouldn't read much more into than that. They will be reimbursed by corporate Mazda.

Really wondering if it does apply to all Mazda CX-5... Looking up by VIN on Mazda website, safecar.gov, etc., no open recall applies to my 2014 CX-5 Touring

I'm wondering the same. This is a worldwide recall?

Funny thing is right now I am on a Holiday Roadtrip 1,000 kilometers from home.

...No really funny.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Had to call Corporate to get authorized for the loaner but will be picking it up tomorrow and dropping off my CX-5. The Service Manager says they hope to have the parts in next week.

I just contacted the service manager via email about loaner vehicle from them. There service advisor was of no help yesterday. My wife is not wanting me to drive with the kiddos until the car is fixed. She like to worry like that. If I get the run around from the service manager what should be my next step? Should I call Mazda USA and talk to someone there? I don't want to be "That Guy" that creates more problems then necessary at the dealership. Makes me worry what they are going to do with my car while it waits for repair. I have Zero faith in this dealership and as soon as my last free oil change is used I doubt I will ever be back. I really wanted to like the dealership, they are going thru a remodel that looks really nice but they fall flat on their face every time I bring up an issue. Seat rocks = they won't do anything cause one other CX-5 has seat that rocks. Headlights aimed a bit low = they can shim the whole housing cause they don't even know if the headlights have a vertical adjustment. I haven't even mentioned to them the "drips" and runs that are on the inside of the passenger headlight. Help me out, what should I do since my wife doesn't want me driving the CX-5 as is?

I just contacted the service manager via email about loaner vehicle from them. There service advisor was of no help yesterday. My wife is not wanting me to drive with the kiddos until the car is fixed. She like to worry like that. If I get the run around from the service manager what should be my next step? Should I call Mazda USA and talk to someone there? I don't want to be "That Guy" that creates more problems then necessary at the dealership. Makes me worry what they are going to do with my car while it waits for repair. I have Zero faith in this dealership and as soon as my last free oil change is used I doubt I will ever be back. I really wanted to like the dealership, they are going thru a remodel that looks really nice but they fall flat on their face every time I bring up an issue. Seat rocks = they won't do anything cause one other CX-5 has seat that rocks. Headlights aimed a bit low = they can shim the whole housing cause they don't even know if the headlights have a vertical adjustment. I haven't even mentioned to them the "drips" and runs that are on the inside of the passenger headlight. Help me out, what should I do since my wife doesn't want me driving the CX-5 as is?

I called the dealer first and they actually told me to call Corporate so they can authorize it. They were super nice.

It sounds like you may want to find another dealer also.

Last edited:
Get a grip people!!! (gah)

I just crunched a few numbers.

One million CX-5 had been constructed last May (almost a year ago), so just for the sake of simplifying things, let's say we have one million CX-5 on the road with an average of 20k miles on them (older models will have more, newer will have less). That means that there has been 20 billion miles driven in CX-5s with not a single incident. So as it stands right now, assuming that the very next mile driven in any CX-5 anywhere in the world results in death or injury because of this, you still have one chance in 20 billion of hurting you kid by driving him/her to school or to the groceries. And since I doubt the next mile driven by a CX-5 will result in death or injury, these odds actually are getting better in your favor with each passing minute that goes by from the moment I post this!

Now, in any given hour, someone has an average of one chance in 6 billion of getting struck by lightning. That' worse than driving a mile in a CX-5!

For the love of God, please stop bringing your kids to the park! Oh the humanity! (nailbyt)

Get a free loaner from the dealer just because you can if you want to, but stop kidding yourselves that you are protecting anyone by doing so. I'll be taking my chances with my AWD CX-5 with Nokian winter tires in today's snow storm, thank-you...

Last edited:
On the bright side, at least no one would be tailgating too closely now....

Back