2017~2024 CX-5 Doors not closing as smoothly/easily on new purchase

The more air tight the vehicle the harder it is to close. The seals prevent the air from escaping and adds a little more resistance when closing the doors. This is a good thing, over time as the seals wear the doors will shut easier. Perfectly normal.

The original Beetle was the first car I experienced this in. Ears almost pop closing the doors in those things. Crazy how such an inexpensive car was so well built.

The original Beetle was the first car I experienced this in. Ears almost pop closing the doors in those things. Crazy how such an inexpensive car was so well built.

Was well built in the beginning... by the time we sold ours back in the 1990 (it was almost 30 years old), the drivers door wasn't closing properly.

I can remember when we were trading it in, the dealer's salesman came along for the test drive (dad drove it) and whilst driving, the door was rattling because it hadn't closed properly/the mechanisms were loose and casually whilst driving at around 28mph, he just opened the door and then pulled hard to close it properly in place. For me it wasn't an issue at all since I'd seen him do it numerous times but the salesman was petrified! (lol)

Anyways I digress... it's better that the doors on the 2017 CX-5 require a bit more effort to close and stay closed rather than having them be flimsy.

Aren't there suppose to be air vents with one way flaps?
Yes. You can see the exit to the rear panel if you drop a seat then the flaps are down behind the bumper.
This's my question too. The cabin can't be "air tight" to make doors harder to close as the air can be escaped through these two rear air vents when you close the door.

The cabin air can also be escaped through HVAC air inlet when you shut the door if your HVAC system is set to "Outside Air".

This's my question too. The cabin can't be "air tight" to make doors harder to close as the air can be escaped through these two rear air vents when you close the door.

The cabin air can also be escaped through HVAC air inlet when you shut the door if your HVAC system is set to "Outside Air".

When I mentioned air tight in my previous post I meant it in terms of air resistance. Yes, the car is not air tight, but if the air can not escape at a quicker velocity than the compression of it by closing the door, it will build up more back pressure preventing the door from closing with a light push.

When I mentioned air tight in my previous post I meant it in terms of air resistance. Yes, the car is not air tight, but if the air can not escape at a quicker velocity than the compression of it by closing the door, it will build up more back pressure preventing the door from closing with a light push.

I know what you are saying but if you roll all the windows down it's still tight on the seals - which is good. If they were loose they wouldn't be doing anything.

People suggest that my problem is that it's because it's more airtight.

It's definitely not the case when you see the video I created.

It feels like the spring that creates tension on the balls that roll over these is too tight.

It frequently requires much more umph to get through the bumps and even when it does, it doesn't roll super smoothly the rest of the way as the door closes.

When you close your doors, do they feel the same way as in the video?
It does not feel normal or acceptable and I'm trying to confirm if it is for the model.

I've never felt a doors like this, unless the body's been tweaked in an accident.

Thank you,

One of my prior cars, a BMW if I recall, would automatically roll down the window a bit when the door is opened, and then roll back up after the door is closed so as to equalize the air pressure in the car and make the door easier to close.

By any chance did it have pillarless doors as in was a convertible (scratch)

My VW CC was that way. Pillarless Door. Also when you open one door all windows roll down 1/2 inch. Close the door and all windows roll up to form a seal again real quick. It would scare my passengers LOL.

Folks with the 17's experience "back pressure" or whatever the scientific term is. A more air tight seal would cause that. When I added 3m weatherstrip seals to our 2013 CX-5 we experienced the same thing.

People suggest that my problem is that it's because it's more airtight.

It's definitely not the case when you see the video I created.

It feels like the spring that creates tension on the balls that roll over these is too tight.

It frequently requires much more umph to get through the bumps and even when it does, it doesn't roll super smoothly the rest of the way as the door closes.

When you close your doors, do they feel the same way as in the video?
It does not feel normal or acceptable and I'm trying to confirm if it is for the model.

I've never felt a doors like this, unless the body's been tweaked in an accident.

Thank you,

Some of the times you are just gently closing the door and because of all the extra seals, it indeed won't close properly.

Some of the times you are just gently closing the door and because of all the extra seals, it indeed won't close properly.

I can see how you might think that from the video because you can't feel in your hand, when I feel in my hand, when I pull the door closed. I also didn't have my hand on the video to who how I was touching the door. I planned for it to be, but after the fact, I wasn't going to record again.

I had the opportunity to close the doors of a few other 2017 CX-5's and they close like butter, like I expected, and nothing like the doors on mine.

The drivers door, as you can see in the video, is no where near as bad as the rear doors, and it seems to be a bit better after owning it for ~ 3-4 weeks.

I'm concluding at the moment that it's a problem with just my truck, I am more sensitive to it than most people, and that it may improve with time.

I had the opportunity to close the doors of a few other 2017 CX-5's and they close like butter, like I expected, and nothing like the doors on mine.

The drivers door, as you can see in the video, is no where near as bad as the rear doors, and it seems to be a bit better after owning it for ~ 3-4 weeks.

I'm concluding at the moment that it's a problem with just my truck, I am more sensitive to it than most people, and that it may improve with time.

I guess "breaking in" the rubber night help if there is such. However it's better to bring it to nous dealer if it's near you.

I can see how you might think that from the video because you can't feel in your hand, when I feel in my hand, when I pull the door closed. I also didn't have my hand on the video to who how I was touching the door. I planned for it to be, but after the fact, I wasn't going to record again.

I was going to suggest you try others, in a post I began typing but deleted. Have you taken it to the dealer and complained? Sounds like a parts/workmanship problem.

If it is the case that yours has an issue take it back to the dealer and get them to compare it with one in their stock

There may be an adjustment. You're within the free adjustment period - ask the dealer. This kind of door sealing is new for Mazda and it could be they don't have it yet quite dialed in right. They will also send you a lengthy survey where you can mention details like this.

Edit: Just saw your post about other vehicles working fine - definitely go talk to your dealer. There's almost certainly some kind of adjustment to be tweaked.

If you have compared it to other 2017 CX-5 and others are "softer" then you should talk to your dealer.

However here's a comment from my daughter after spending more than 12 days of riding with me. She said she now finds herself closing her boyfriend's Honda City door harder than usual because she got used to the CX-5. So in comparison with the Honda City, yes the CX-5 is definitely requires more effort to close.

But in your (thread starter) case, since you are into valet hence your exposure to different doors, it would also be difficult to get use to your CX-5. Best you go to your dealer and compare it side by side with other 2017 CX-5 for proper reference.

Aye but when they start backing the latches off and you get wind whistling round the door shuts, don't be too surprised.

Your "truck" is just more rugged so it needs more force :D My CUV is not a truck and closes fine. Btw, the cx-5 is not a truck lol

In comparison to my 2014 mazda 3 sgt hatchback, the cx-5 does requires a bit more force to close. The mazda 3 I can just close normally. However, after adding more seals on that car I had to use a bit more force to close to doors as it'll get "stuck" if I close it normally. I do not think it's necessarily because the car is more air tight but it was because of the extra seals. The mazda 3 was still noisy after adding the seals but the doors sound more solid when shutting them. I probably got used to it on that car so the cx-5 feels fine for me. I'm still thinking it's the extra seal on this car that's causing the "issue."

But yeah I think you should take your truck in to have the dealer check it out, the rear doors do look odd. Mine doesn't seem to be that stiff.

Back