2017~2024 CX-5 Doors not closing as smoothly/easily on new purchase

:
Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring
I am a valet driver on the side.
I drive 80+ every day from 1970's Peugeots to Toyota Camerys to Ferrari Californias.

We just bought a <30 mile CX-5 Grand Touring and the first time I close the door during the test drive (before buying it), the doors don't close fully with my normal closing tug.
Obviously, if I close with a strong pull, they close.

I had this with all four doors on the truck.

We've since bought it, and I continue to not close the door fully.

It almost feels like the hinges aren't lubricated enough.

Have any of you experienced the same?

Last edited:
Its not the hinges. The new models has improved and double seals to reduce interior noise transmission. If you look between the two closed doors, there is now an extra seal which gets compressed as the doors are shut.

Its not the hinges. The new models has improved and double seals to reduce interior noise transmission. If you look between the two closed doors, there is now an extra seal which gets compressed as the doors are shut.

And the reward for the extra pull is indeed glorious silence.

Is there a reassuring "thump" when closing the door?

It needs a firm pull but yes, it is quite pleasing. I shut the door on a brand new Mercedes E Class taxi the other day and it sounded like I'd kicked a trash can over. The new CX-5 eclipses that.

If the dashboard door open indicator light is not on then then doors are closed.

I had to shut my door twice almost every time for the first week I had it so I know what you mean. But that is good, because it is sealed up so tight the air pressure pushes back on the door. If you have your windows down or cracked, it is not a problem. Well, it's not really a problem anyway, but a good thing.

Correct me if I am wrong but if the door doesn't close properly, in theory you won't be able to lock it and if you have a top spec model then some sort of beep or possible lack there of would indicate to you a door isn't closed. Am I right about this (scratch)

05/17/17
Other
NHTSA ID: 10099445
TSB ID: SA-042-17

On some 2017 cx-5 vehicles, the drivers door is slightly harder to close than the other doors. this occurs when all the other doors and windows are fully closed.

I remember seeing this some time ago when I noticed the same issue with closing the doors.

Yes, the 2017 requires the strongest effort to close the doors of any vehicle I have ever been in.

One of my prior cars, a BMW if I recall, would automatically roll down the window a bit when the door is opened, and then roll back up after the door is closed so as to equalize the air pressure in the car and make the door easier to close.

One of my prior cars, a BMW if I recall, would automatically roll down the window a bit when the door is opened, and then roll back up after the door is closed so as to equalize the air pressure in the car and make the door easier to close.

By any chance did it have pillarless doors as in was a convertible (scratch)

I'm used to closing the door with a bit more force. On my 2014 mazda 3 it was a really noisy car on the freeway so I added a layer of weather seal around all doors and body to create a better seal. I have to close the door harder on that car because of the extra weather seals. On the CX-5 I haven't really had many issues with it not closing on the first try. My mom will slam the door pretty hard tho, at times I feel like she's going to break something :(

I had to shut my door twice almost every time for the first week I had it so I know what you mean. But that is good, because it is sealed up so tight the air pressure pushes back on the door. If you have your windows down or cracked, it is not a problem. Well, it's not really a problem anyway, but a good thing.

Yes, the 2017 requires the strongest effort to close the doors of any vehicle I have ever been in.

05/17/17
Other
NHTSA ID: 10099445
TSB ID: SA-042-17

On some 2017 cx-5 vehicles, the drivers door is slightly harder to close than the other doors. this occurs when all the other doors and windows are fully closed.

I remember seeing this some time ago when I noticed the same issue with closing the doors.

It needs a firm pull but yes, it is quite pleasing. I shut the door on a brand new Mercedes E Class taxi the other day and it sounded like I'd kicked a trash can over. The new CX-5 eclipses that.

Better the door to be solid than flimsy

I'm glad that I'm not imagining it and others are experiencing it too.

It will be a different experience for everybody, but for me, it's poor engineering.

In your average day, you may drive to work visit 5 stores, drive home. You've done 7 open/close cycles for that day.

As a vallet driver, I calculated I've done ~126 open/close cycles in a day. That's with all car brands across many years.

To me, I noticed it the 1st time I used the door and I continue to have the problem 90% of the time.

To me, the problem doesn't just seem to be with the gaskets, with the final impact to the body.
It feels like a poorly lubricated hing as well.
It definitely does not swing "like butter", like it's on ball-bearings. It definitely doesn't swing as smoothly as those fidget spinners.

To me, it reminds me of when I have to open/close the doors on one of these,

1975_cadillac_deville-pic-8935989852057054988.jpeg

It reminds me of a car that's been in an accident.

It reminds me of an old heavy car that isn't running well.

I can assure you that the top of the line, $150k+ BMW, Mercedes, Jaguar, or Bentley have amazing sound insulation. I know because I've driven them.
None of them close as difficulty as our new CX-5.

Even much heavier Lamborgini and McLaren overhead swinging doors are very very easy to close. You would think they aren't, but they are easy and require a light touch.

However, what many of these high-end cars have a slow close feature. It stops the door from closing fully, and then slowly, squeeze itself closed on its own.

See the following videos,

However, you can see with all these, they only need a light touch to close. The doors swing freely.

The 1st 15seconds of this video below, is how our doors feel to me.

I'm happy to know that I don't have a car with a unique problem that needs to get fixed, but I'm not happy that it feels so low quality to me and requires more effort to close.

Last edited:
Back