CX-5 Diesel Turbo is VERY likely!

Daihatsu pulled out of Europe because the costs of meeting new euro standards didn't make sense for the volume of sales they had in europe :(

Daihatsu sales in Europe had been on a steep decline in the years leading up to their withdrawal from the European market. It had more to do with unfavorable exchange rates and dismal sales (only 19,000 vehicles in all of Europe in 2010) than any particularly onerous standards. Daihatsu exited the US market in 1992 for similar reasons.

Daihatsu sales in Europe had been on a steep decline in the years leading up to their withdrawal from the European market. It had more to do with unfavorable exchange rates and dismal sales (only 19,000 vehicles in all of Europe in 2010) than any particularly onerous standards. Daihatsu exited the US market in 1992 for similar reasons.

Yes, that was another factor. My point is valid though because the Daihatsu's sister car the Perodua myvi is still sold in the uk, the small sales numbers aren't bothering them. They are not selling the NEW version of it because the cost of getting type approval on the new model doesn't stack up for them.

I looked at getting the new Daihatsu Sirion in as a personal import but it was too expensive and a load of hassle. Back to the mazda US & AUS differentials mazda have 'targeted' the individual markets quite differently so the prices will look different too.

we don't get a base model cx-5 here yet as suv's here have a more 'premium' image. Me, I don't give a fig about that kinda stuff, but I do like a high driving position.

Hello all...

I had my heart pretty much set on trading in my CX7 and buying a CX5. But all the reviews I read left me with the thoughts that the 2.0L motor was quite underpowered. Not what I wanted coming from a remapped CX7..!!!

When the 2.5L landed, I went to my Dealer and took it for a drive. I was to say the least underwhelmed. It was a nice car, but really lacked the power I was used to under my right foot. The Dealer Sales Manager then handed me the keys to the diesel CX5. Being very skeptical, I decided to give it a go.

Glad that I did..!!!

I was staggered at the power and acceleration this engine produced. I always believed that diesels were pretty sluggish, but not the CX5. It absolutely blitzed the 2.5L in sheer pulling power. It really was a case of surprise. I then looked at the fuel consumption on the dash. It was 6.1L/100km. That was the tipping point for me. My CX7 was sitting on 14.4L/100km.

I bought the diesel that afternoon.

^^^The crazy thing is the diesel makes less power than the 2.5L does. What you're feeling is the gobs of torque and it is quite addicting.

^^^The crazy thing is the diesel makes less power than the 2.5L does. What you're feeling is the gobs of torque and it is quite addicting.

I agree. With 420nm of low end torque, the car easily powers up hills. It just sits there plodding along, barely ever needs to rev at all.

Anyone have the current status... any news/date?

Nothing from Mazda to be found, would make sense to me for them to roll out the diesel in the Mazda6 and see how it goes before they make any moves.

I think that any news to come from Mazda will be heralded with great pomp and circumstance... We're talking about the very first application of a diesel powerplant in this vehicle segment in North America, with accompanying fuel economy figures that will utterly blow the competition out of the water. My gut tells me that's the type of announcement they're going to make at a major auto show to steal the thunder while the media is already turning its eyes to cars.

Personally, I'd be shocked to hear anything substantial from Mazda themselves before this year's LA Auto Show in November. If there's no word then or during the other major events in next season's show circuit, we're probably looking at waiting another few model years until a mid-cycle refresh.

Hello all...

I had my heart pretty much set on trading in my CX7 and buying a CX5. But all the reviews I read left me with the thoughts that the 2.0L motor was quite underpowered. Not what I wanted coming from a remapped CX7..!!!

When the 2.5L landed, I went to my Dealer and took it for a drive. I was to say the least underwhelmed. It was a nice car, but really lacked the power I was used to under my right foot. The Dealer Sales Manager then handed me the keys to the diesel CX5. Being very skeptical, I decided to give it a go.

Glad that I did..!!!

I was staggered at the power and acceleration this engine produced. I always believed that diesels were pretty sluggish, but not the CX5. It absolutely blitzed the 2.5L in sheer pulling power. It really was a case of surprise. I then looked at the fuel consumption on the dash. It was 6.1L/100km. That was the tipping point for me. My CX7 was sitting on 14.4L/100km.

I bought the diesel that afternoon.

The diesels in the cx-5 really pull like trains. which country are you in?

Still no offical word on when the new Mazda 6 diesel is coming out. There isn't any question of weather it will do good, but if they can meet the demand. I'm waiting to trade in my Mazda 5 for a new CX-5 diesel as soon as they go on sale.

Still no offical word on when the new Mazda 6 diesel is coming out. There isn't any question of weather it will do good, but if they can meet the demand. I'm waiting to trade in my Mazda 5 for a new CX-5 diesel as soon as they go on sale.

That makes two of us.

Actually, I am in the process of parting out and selling my Speed6 currently. I have got a couple of hoopties to drive, while Mazda takes their sweet time releasing the oil burner stateside.
I'll be ready to buy as soon as that thing hits the lot, though!

Well, Mazda "officially" announced the 6 diesel at last year's LA show, and now the expected on-sale date is projected to be December 2013, more than a year after it was announced, which itself was about a year or more after they showed prototypes in Canada with the diesel. Going by that, even if Mazda "officially" announces the CX-5 diesel for North America at LA, it could easily be summer or fall 2014 before it hits showrooms.

Since the guessing about CX-5 diesel in US is done here, how about the purchase price premium for US diesel buyers (how much)?

I feel like they are putting off releasing the diesel version for the North American market because of the engine failures they've experienced while road racing them. I believe all 4 of their cars experienced the same failure and with the U.S. market being amongst the most conservative they don't want to tarnish their name by releasing it too early and want to iron out any bugs.

I'm thinking it'll be $2k over a 2.5 model.

If they do release the 6 diesel in the US and not the cx-5 anytime soon after you could always swap a wrecked madza6 d motor lol

I feel like they are putting off releasing the diesel version for the North American market because of the engine failures they've experienced while road racing them. I believe all 4 of their cars experienced the same failure and with the U.S. market being amongst the most conservative they don't want to tarnish their name by releasing it too early and want to iron out any bugs.

Nothing to do with their Mazda 6 Clean Diesel racing car, which, by the way, have won their last several races, as the Porsche Cayman that they've been up against has been having mechanical difficulties, too.
At the end of the last race on June 30th, Mazda was officially 1 point behind Porsche for the class they are competing against each other in.

Nope, the reason for the delay to the US market is two fold:

First off, not all of the US market actually has diesel fuel with the low enough sulfur content, which risks parts like the fuel pump, and injectors.
Second, they make way more money off of diesel sales in other markets, so if you can maximize profits, and decrease risk of fuel related failure, why rush the vehicles to a market that historically hates diesels?

Honestly, I would rather Mazda keep making huge profits in all their markets with the right mix of vehicles and engine sales, than to expose themselves to pointless risk for a small share of a small, problematic market.

BC.

Back