CX-5 Diesel Turbo is VERY likely!

Aside from boonies and mountain country (which will always be for the truck guys) i only know of one station near me that has regular sulfer content diesel....right next to thier ultra low no less

Everything diesel post '07 uses ultra low, so i think the pumps for them are plentiful

Since the guessing about CX-5 diesel in US is done here, how about the purchase price premium for US diesel buyers (how much)?

If the percentage difference price between 2.5L gas and higher output 2.2L diesel is the same as other markets, it'd be between $1700-1800 price premium... but that doesn't account for any market factors whatsoever.

I did a little more purely speculative napkin math just for fun... and it looks like the fuel cost break-even point for the AWD diesel over the AWD 2.5G in our market could easily be as much as 70-75k miles. That's assuming the 26mpg combined rated for the gas and an equivalent increase for the diesel (~33.75mpg), today's average prices of $3.563 for unleaded and $3.828 for diesel, and $1750 for the price difference. That's not considering any fuel price volatility, maintenance and depreciation cost differentials, real world mileage results, and the fact that we have no real freaking idea what it would cost if it even happens.

But then again, I personally want the diesel for the sheer fun factor of greater torque... the possibility of it being more cost effective over long-term ownership is just icing on the cake, especially because the torquier engine option for any other vehicle in the small crossover segment (like the turbo Kia Sportage or V6 Chevy Equinox) is a guaranteed increase in ownership cost both in terms of greater purchase price and poorer fuel economy.

If the percentage difference price between 2.5L gas and higher output 2.2L diesel is the same as other markets, it'd be between $1700-1800 price premium... but that doesn't account for any market factors whatsoever.

I did a little more purely speculative napkin math just for fun... and it looks like the fuel cost break-even point for the AWD diesel over the AWD 2.5G in our market could easily be as much as 70-75k miles. That's assuming the 26mpg combined rated for the gas and an equivalent increase for the diesel (~33.75mpg), today's average prices of $3.563 for unleaded and $3.828 for diesel, and $1750 for the price difference. That's not considering any fuel price volatility, maintenance and depreciation cost differentials, real world mileage results, and the fact that we have no real freaking idea what it would cost if it even happens.

But then again, I personally want the diesel for the sheer fun factor of greater torque... the possibility of it being more cost effective over long-term ownership is just icing on the cake, especially because the torquier engine option for any other vehicle in the small crossover segment (like the turbo Kia Sportage or V6 Chevy Equinox) is a guaranteed increase in ownership cost both in terms of greater purchase price and poorer fuel economy.

Great post.

Hi, I'm new here and a girl, and don't know a lot about cars...But I've been waiting for this diesel vehicle for a long time. Does anyone have any real estimation of when this will be available? And at what cost?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can give me an idea of when (if) this car will be on the American market.

Kit

Hi, I'm new here and a girl, and don't know a lot about cars...But I've been waiting for this diesel vehicle for a long time. Does anyone have any real estimation of when this will be available? And at what cost?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can give me an idea of when (if) this car will be on the American market.

Kit
I didn't know girls drove cars. To answer your question no one really knows. All we can do is speculate.

Hi All...

I thought I would add my experience regarding the diesel, which I do now own.

Please bear in mind, my previous car was a CX7 that was remapped (by me) and was a very quick car. In fact it did 0-100kmh in seven seconds. And yes, I do have dyno charts.

Anyway....

My Partner and I waited until the 2.5L variant was locally available. And when it was, we went to my Dealer to have a test drive. We drove the top of the range version. It was nice, but compared to my CX7, was really very sluggish. My Partner was actually very unimpressed with the car. If she had the final say, she would not have bought the car, despite the comfort and features.

When we returned to the Dealership, the Sales Manager walked up to me, and handed me another set of keys. He simply told me to go and drive the "white one." I asked him if that was the diesel version, and he replied that it was. Ok, so it's a diesel... BIG DEAL.....

Then I drove it.

The acceleration was crazy compared to the 2.5L car. It literally sank us into the seats. I still remember the first thing my Partner said! "I like this car..!!" I looked at her and told her that it was exactly the same car, but a different motor. Nonetheless, she was happy now.

So I bought it......

What kind of comment is that?

In my State girls start driving at 15 1/2 years.

Not to mention the fact that it is common for grown women to refer to themselves as "the girls".

I thought the post just mentioning that she was a girl was strange in it of itself

Mike, I was being facetious. The sounded odd when I read it, as if that was a disclaimer. I'm 6"1 btw.

Hi, this may help with the figures.....

http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/petrol-versus-diesel-which-is-cheaper-/248139

theres also a direct link which does all the work for you but it relates to the uk market.

I wanted the diesel full stop, I like the power delivery for that type of car.

Geez, all this talk about being a girl. Just wondered if anyone knew when it would be available in the US! Yeah, and I am looking for a 'real estimation of when this will be available'...Is that a problem? Lots of slicing and dicing of semantics!

Just wondering if it will be out sometime in 2013?

Hi, this may help with the figures.....

http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/petrol-versus-diesel-which-is-cheaper-/248139

theres also a direct link which does all the work for you but it relates to the uk market.

I wanted the diesel full stop, I like the power delivery for that type of car.

Funnily enough, when I bought mine, the last thing on my mind was how much the fuel will cost, short term or long term. I was more thinking how will it drive in a Swiss winter when we head to Zermatt with 4 adults and a boot full. The 2.0l wouldnt pull the skin of my cold custard so diesel it was!

Nicely surprised to see the l/100k better my golf Tsi dsg though!

Last edited:
Geez, all this talk about being a girl. Just wondered if anyone knew when it would be available in the US! Yeah, and I am looking for a 'real estimation of when this will be available'...Is that a problem? Lots of slicing and dicing of semantics!

Just wondering if it will be out sometime in 2013?

I read somewhere dec 2013 for the maz6 diesel and that the maz 6 gets the diesel 1st in the US. perhaps checking the news on the 6 forum will give you an 'early warning'?

I was more thinking how will it drive in a Swiss winter when we head to Zermatt with 4 adults and a boot full. The 2.0l wouldnt pull the skin of my cold custard so diesel it was!

That hasn't been my experience with the little 2.0L AWD CX-5 in mountain passes. I believe Zermatt itself is car-free (except for local electric taxis, etc.) so you can only drive to the 4,800 foot level. Of course Zermatt itself is only 5,250 feet so, even if you could drive there, the 2.0L would not slow you down. Loaded with 4 big adults and a full boot the 2.0L has plenty of power to whisk me and family/friends up the mountain passes. I only wish the slow-pokes would get out of my way so I could open up the little 2.0L engine and let it rip. The times I had clear road in front of me it performed admirably (even during heavy snowstorms).

But it does take more driver skill to use a smaller engine to it's limit than to drive a more powerful engine the same speed. And, IMHO, it's way more fun.

Depends what you want from the car, my baby and passengers probably wouldnt want to be transported on holiday with an engine at the limit! There are cars and places to have that fun and a CX5 isnt that type of car for me. Something like a S2000 at the Nordschleife, I have done that, and it is fun!

Last edited:
Depends what you want from the car, my baby and passengers probably wouldnt want to be transported on holiday with an engine at the limit!

If you read my post you'll see that even the 2.0L is not at the limit going up 4-5000' mountain passes, even fully loaded. But if you want to drive in a sporting manner, there is more available.

And, no, I wouldn't be driving like that either in the winter with a baby in the car!

read somewhere that since CX-5 sales are red hot, best selling mazda model, therefore Mazda isn't so eager to introduce the diesel as much now. They want to see the take rate of the diesel in Mazda 6 before deciding on introducing it in any other model. So that means it may take another year of waiting... hope they do release it soon.. I would be pretty excited if they would make it awd, manual, and diesel under 25K, but that maybe wishful thinking..

They are not hot here, not sure why. 190 for sale, I recognise many at the same price range as mine, they have not been sold in 6 months. Most common are X3 , Audi Avants, Cayennes etc,I think the Mazda badge just doesn't do it for the Swiss...loads of dealers in the area though!

Nice to drive someone exclusive but not handy when you want to moan about a problem and the dealer says its not very common problem.

Japan public has a negative view of diesel cars in general, too the point the general take rate for diesel cars is about 5%. Probably similar take rate as the US, but very surprisingly the take rate for CX-5 diesel version is a whopping 95%. Yes, that means of every CX-5 being sold 95% are with a diesel engine. Maybe Mazda makes more profit with the regular gasoline engines and US has very price sensitive buyers. Who knows....

Back