2017~2024 CX-5 Cranking time and battery (lead acid battery, efb, AGM)

q1054521247q

:
CX5 17GT,21SIG
In my 2021 CX5 turbo, I have 45k miles. I notice that starting the car now requires a little more time than before. The cold start takes about 3 seconds of cranking time. after the car is driven for a little bit then restart the car will start up with 1 second of cranking time. Is it my battery problem?

Also, I think my CX5 came with a lead-acid battery from the factory. Can I go with the AGM battery as an upgrade without changing the charging system or i can only go with EFB?

went to Autozone they tested my battery at 89% yesterday.

no idea if your battery is a problem but
Yes you can install/swap to AGM if you want.
I have AGM on both CX5s. One was installed almost 3 yrs ago. Just stay away from Optima :)

The oem battery has small capacity out of the box. Around 480 CCA as new. The problem usually is they loose electrolyte liquid over time and then sulfation starts which degrades the battery plates further if not taken care on time.
The good part is the oem battery is serviceable and with proper maintenance the oem can go 5-6 yrs but one has to monitor and add distilled water to each of the 6 cells before the level drops, etc. There is level mark (high low) on the side of the battery and Mazda conveniently put an opening on the side cover for checking. Still its a bit of effort so rarely anybody does it. Not even the dealer shops.

In comparison new battery (group35 for the CX5) even non agm have larger capacity CCA. They start usually at 600 and higher.

here is the oem on a new car just for info.

C16EEAE4-3891-45CA-BBD7-AB9B776917D0.jpeg

Last edited:
And, from what I've seen, for a given group size, a standard battery will have greater CCA's than an AGM.

And when you do change plugs, NGK OE Laser Iridium and literally nothing else. Are they expensive? You bet. But nothing else works nearly as well.

real AGMs have higher CCA but they are realy expensive and probably not worth it on a Mazda.

example group 35 thin plate AGM Northstar
View attachment 314849
Almost 5 years old and OEM still started in sub zero temps last week. Kicked a few times but started. Ok now but probably due for new one next winter, might even switch now, either a New OEM or maybe a Braille AGM.

AGMs are Lead-acid batteries. The chemistry results in them running about 0.2V higher than common flooded cell batteries. That is still compatible with your charging system.

Just a heads up that if you want to move up to a larger battery size the 24F fits into the tray perfectly if you just nip off the front two stays (essentially making it about a half inch longer). Having 840 CCAs now makes cold starting a breeze.

Looking to either stay at same weight)as OEM or drop weight but still get decent CCA.

Will be deciding between these 3

Panasonic Yuasa OEM - $199

Exide Sprinter LA- similar to OEM size and weight with slightly more CCA crank power and more reserve capacity and good price point @ $129.

Braille 21 AGM- only 21 lbs with similar CCA but lower reserve capacity. $239.

Really want the Braille but not sure about the lower reserve capacity. So leaning to the Exide.

I would get the Exide. I expect to replace a battery about every 4-5 yrs on today's electronics laden vehicles. I suspect you will get the same life out of it vs the OEM. No idea about the Braille as I have no experience, but in cars I have used AGM batteries in, no difference in longevity between LA and AGM.

Looking to either stay at same weight)as OEM or drop weight but still get decent CCA.

Will be deciding between these 3

Panasonic Yuasa OEM - $199

Exide Sprinter LA- similar to OEM size and weight with slightly more CCA crank power and more reserve capacity and good price point @ $129.

Braille 21 AGM- only 21 lbs with similar CCA but lower reserve capacity. $239.

Really want the Braille but not sure about the lower reserve capacity. So leaning to the Exide.

if you are in US, check out Duracell agm group35. Made by east penn and good battery (think same battery is also sold in oreilly but with diff name) but its in the 220-230$ range.
Almost all agm batteries under 300$ are same as with flooded battery. main difference is no liquids to spill, etc. The "real" AGMs are usually dual purpose and are above the 300s but thats another world.

Back