2013~2016 CX-5: Coming up on 7 years

Status
Not open for further replies.
Keep driving it until it breaks. It's not worth trading at this point anyway.

The next 10-15 years will be very interesting when it comes to this push by governments to mandate EV's. Personally, I think there will be a day of reckoning in the near future, when reality sets in that mandating EV's will not work, from an economical or environmental standpoint.
Yes, there's zero emissions on that little grocery run to Walmart, but that's only a very small part of the bigger picture. There's already issues about the mining and refining processes, and their consequences, to yield the materials needed for batteries , motors etc.
Then, what will the reaction be in 10 years when all those dead batteries start showing up in landfills? And don't kid yourself folks, that's where they will end up. The battery recycling facilities and processes are not yet geared up to handle even a small percentage of these massive battery packs. Even if/when recycling plants exist, you and I both know that people will take the easy way out, and just dump all these dead batteries in the garbage. Heck, I do it all the time with my dead AA batteries, even though I can recycle them, supposedly.
That's just one concern. How about electrical infrastructure to support these future EV's?. Globally, we are not even close to being ready. You can also rest assured that as they push to increase electrical capacity to support these things, that electricity rates will skyrocket to pay for it all. Charging your car will not be cheap. One way or another EV owners will pay.
These are but a few concerns and thoughts.
I'll keep my ICE car for as long as I'm around. Thankyou.

Before CA bans sales of ICE vehicles, I will get myself an ICE sports car.
One with manual-shifting to be theft proof. ;)
But you still can’t prevent people breaking the rear quarter window with a manual shift in California ⋯ 😛

Yes, there's zero emissions on that little grocery run to Walmart, but that's only a very small part of the bigger picture. There's already issues about the mining and refining processes, and their consequences, to yield the materials needed for batteries , motors etc.
Then, what will the reaction be in 10 years when all those dead batteries start showing up in landfills? And don't kid yourself folks, that's where they will end up. The battery recycling facilities and processes are not yet geared up to handle even a small percentage of these massive battery packs. Even if/when recycling plants exist, you and I both know that people will take the easy way out, and just dump all these dead batteries in the garbage. Heck, I do it all the time with my dead AA batteries, even though I can recycle them, supposedly.
That's just one concern.
You forgot to mention the pollution caused by US power plants. To me, EV only transfers the emissions to the power plant.

How about electrical infrastructure to support these future EV's?. Globally, we are not even close to being ready. You can also rest assured that as they push to increase electrical capacity to support these things, that electricity rates will skyrocket to pay for it all. Charging your car will not be cheap. One way or another EV owners will pay.
These are but a few concerns and thoughts.
I'll keep my ICE car for as long as I'm around. Thankyou.
Another perfect example is the 55-car mechanical parking garage my daughter’s condo has in the Bay Area can’t support the EV charging system due to the movement of the parking platform needed to move the parked cars around. How can the CA government force the condo to replace that expensive mechanical parking garage facility to be EV compatible?

You forgot to mention the pollution caused by US power plants. To me, EV only transfers the emissions to the power plant.

Another perfect example is the 55-car mechanical parking garage my daughter’s condo has in the Bay Area can’t support the EV charging system due to the movement of the parking platform needed to move the parked cars around. How can the CA government force the condo to replace that expensive mechanical parking garage facility to be EV compatible?
What about all the apartment complexs that don't have indoor parking? Are we going to see wads of extension cords hanging down over the balconies to charge the cars. What about people that live in row houses and can't always park in front of their house. The people mandating these things have not thought it through. This is not going to end well.

Most will not have cars of their own. Most will be forced to use public transportation, or other services (IMHO)

What about copper thieves cutting off the heavy charging cables that are easily accessible and charging stations would be dispersed everywhere. Not at a central location like gas pumps at a station.

Personal view.
I think PHEV makes more sense with synthetic fuel to come at lower price than it is today.
A PHEV with small battery pack that is enough for daily commute.

Before CA bans sales of ICE vehicles, I will get myself an ICE sports car.
One with manual-shifting to be theft proof. ;)

I hear tell that Mazda makes an excellent sports car, world class even. ;)

Theft proof? I'm afraid not. Theft resistant perhaps as most young thieves can't drive a manual.

What about copper thieves cutting off the heavy charging cables that are easily accessible and charging stations would be dispersed everywhere. Not at a central location like gas pumps at a station.
Ha ha. Catalytic converter thieves will have to move on to a new career: Copper thieves.

Copper thieves BTW are already aplenty. Lots of stories of cables being cut and stolen. It's not new.

As for generating electricity. How about China and all their new coal fired power plants? China is building six times more new coal plants than any other country. A new report found that last year, China granted building permits for the equivalent of two new coal plants per week. Yup. Clean electricity is the answer.

As for generating electricity. How about China and all their new coal fired power plants? China is building six times more new coal plants than any other country. A new report found that last year, China granted building permits for the equivalent of two new coal plants per week. Yup. Clean electricity is the answer.
a/o July 2022 China had 1118 coal fired power plants compared to US with 225. If they're permitting 2 per week - well you do the math.

Even if you could snap your fingers and make every car and light truck an EV with all of their electricity supplied by renewables you've only scratched the surface in reducing net global CO2 output. The only reason cars are picked on is because the technology exists. Addressing cars is better than nothing, I suppose. It might delay being totally ****** by a few years. I probably won't be around to see it.

Guys, just own it. We prefer an ICE vehicle, it contributes to climate change, and that's just the way it is. When fast charging stations are as ubiquitous as gas stations I might change my mind.

California has finalizes rule to ban sale of new ICE-powered cars by 2035.
We have a similar rule where I live but at least literally 100% of our electricity is from clean hydro power but I agree EV are not for everyone and that's why hybrids and PHEV should stay for a while IMO. I think people will keep their ICE vehicles much longer and/or buy used. In the mean time, Stellantis is going all out with its last Challenger as the next one is supposed to be an EV. This is like someone who decided to stop smoking and smokes 4 packs on the last day before the final puff!

Last edited:
I plan to keep my ‘15 CX-5 (purchased summer ‘14) for 20 years (summer 2034). My next vehicle purchase will probably come up in early 2027 when I replace my ‘07 G35x.

I plan to keep my ‘15 CX-5 (purchased summer ‘14) for 20 years (summer 2034). My next vehicle purchase will probably come up in early 2027 when I replace my ‘07 G35x.
There will be plenty of ICE vehicles to choose from in 2027. Unfortunately, many will be hybrids or turbos and something with a CVT. Before worrying about not having an ICE available for purchase I'm wondering if 6 cylinder NA / 8 speed / AWD will be available without paying through the nose when I go to replace my Sienna.

CX-90 is going against the grain with the inline 6 but I'll have to see pricing and reliability after a few years. I may pick up a 2022 Highlander, the last year with a V6, coming of lease in 2025. That would be ahead of schedule but would get me 2037 or so at which point I'll be so old as to not give much of s*** about anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back