CX-5 Android Auto / Apple CarPlay

ANYONE THAT BRICKED THIER CMU, PLEASE READ.

My mistake like others is I got very excited to install the new firmware and missed a step. Save yourself a ton of time and headaches by taking your time, inquire with members that can give you the correct firmware and follow the instructions carefully. Take an extra 20 minutes and read it a few times! It's better then the 20 hours you will spend on attempting to fix it.

What step did you miss?

The upgrade on my 16 was totally worth every penny. Hardest part was getting the USB hub out, which I got stuck on on my first attempt. My brother came over the next day with a power drill and we got it out no problem, just a drill hole in each corner of the hub. First attempt took about 2 hours, mostly due to my nervousness of damaging body panels. Turns out working in cell phone repair pays off, because I managed to get everything off and together again twice. Second attempt was about 45 minutes total, including wiring the harness.

I just bought a 2018 CX-5 GX. I am in Canada.

I don't have Nav package and was trying to figure out how to get Android Auto. A Mazda YT video says just install AA app on your phone, plug in via USB and it will be detected on both sides. I tried this and it did not work. Neither end seemed to detect the other, despite the fact that I had no issue with bluetooth and was easily able to use connect it for music and calls etc.

Any advice on what I need to do to get AA to work. I suspect I may need a SW update at the dealer?

I just bought a 2018 CX-5 GX. I am in Canada.

I don't have Nav package and was trying to figure out how to get Android Auto. A Mazda YT video says just install AA app on your phone, plug in via USB and it will be detected on both sides. I tried this and it did not work. Neither end seemed to detect the other, despite the fact that I had no issue with bluetooth and was easily able to use connect it for music and calls etc.

Any advice on what I need to do to get AA to work. I suspect I may need a SW update at the dealer?

The required components for AA/ACP did not come as an available option on 2018 models. I think it became an option in 2019, and later that year, Mazda offered retrofit kits that would allow owners to get AA/ACP on their older cars. Check your firmware version in the infotainment screen, under Settings. If it's at 70.xx.xx or higher, there is a possibility that the previous owner installed the retrofit kit. If it's lower than that, you definitely don't have AA/ACP, and you probably don't have the required components installed.

You can buy the AA/ACP retrofit kit for around $150-200 online, and you can install it yourself if you feel confident removing and reinstalling parts in the cabin. Otherwise, you can have any competent A/V shop or the Mazda dealer install the kit for you. But before you do all of that, be sure to update your firmware first.

The required components for AA/ACP did not come as an available option on 2018 models. I think it became an option in 2019, and later that year, Mazda offered retrofit kits that would allow owners to get AA/ACP on their older cars. Check your firmware version in the infotainment screen, under Settings. If it's at 70.xx.xx or higher, there is a possibility that the previous owner installed the retrofit kit. If it's lower than that, you definitely don't have AA/ACP, and you probably don't have the required components installed.

You can buy the AA/ACP retrofit kit for around $150-200 online, and you can install it yourself if you feel confident removing and reinstalling parts in the cabin. Otherwise, you can have any competent A/V shop or the Mazda dealer install the kit for you. But before you do all of that, be sure to update your firmware first.

Thank you, I talked to the Mazda dealer recently and they said the same thing.

If I went to a A/V shop, can they flash the firmware for me?

If I went to a A/V shop, can they flash the firmware for me?

I don't know if I'd be comfortable with them flashing the firmware. I'd probably just do it myself. Depending on your current firmware version, you'll either flash directly to the newest version, or you'll flash to a 70.xx.xx fail-safe version, then flash again to the newest version. The process is detailed somewhere in this thread, and if you request the newest firmware version in this thread, @ASH8 may be able to provide the required files to you.

You just have to be sure to read the supplied instructions and follow them closely. And you'll need a bit of patience when the progress bar seems to hang occasionally.

On the bottom of AA on my display, there are 4 icons, right now they are maps, spotify, phone and Whatsapp. I want to change Whatsapp to textmessages.

In the AA app, there is customize launcher, but it appearrs to only work for other screen, not the main one I am referring too.

I'm looking to add Apple Carplay to my wife's 2018 CX-5 GT. I know I'll need to update the firmware. I'm comfortable opening up the dash and console.
Looks like I need to order the TK78-66-9U0E and the C922-V6-605A harness.
Is that correct?

Thank you.

Hi all,
I have a 2018 CX5 KF series with firmware OS version 59.00.540 4A N / Fail safe 59.00.540. I read the guide by ASH8 and it looks I need to update it to 70.00.100 first, and then to "4A N_70.00.367A".

Now my question is, does this 70.00.100 need to match my region? I am based in Australia. If yes, what is the complete firmware name?

WhatsApp Image 2023-07-02 at 11.20.19 AM.jpeg

Much appreciated. Thanks.

On the bottom of AA on my display, there are 4 icons, right now they are maps, spotify, phone and Whatsapp. I want to change Whatsapp to textmessages.

In the AA app, there is customize launcher, but it appearrs to only work for other screen, not the main one I am referring too.
In case you didn't already figure it out, you can change, add/remove AA/carplay icons from the phone menu. On the AA/carplay screen the icons on the first screen are usually the ones that you're using the most.

We have a 2014 CX5 and are wanting to upgrade the infotainment system. I seem to have 3 options but do not know as much about one of them (the dealer upgrade).
1) Best Buy will install a Pioneer system for about $600
2) A car audio shop will install a Sony system for about $700
3) The Mazda dealership will do the upgrade for about $500

With options 1 and 2 I can research the system, see reviews and know well what we are getting. The dealership has not been able to describe what the upgrade system will have or look like so it is hard to know what to expect.

The 2014 has the system in the dashboard and the current screen is nice but is not as vivid, bright or nice as the Sony or Pioneer systems. Does the dealer upgrade use this system? Does the upgrade provide a clear, bright screen that is comparable to replacement brands?

Any suggestions or tips for any of the 3 routes, let me know.

Thanks

Well, I cannot guess what your Mazda dealer would use, but if the dealer has "not been able to describe what the upgrade system will have or look like", I would stay away!

I replaced my 2014's with a Kenwood system myself. Not too difficult, you just need to get the correct interface module to keep the steering wheel buttons, etc. ONE THING YOU SHOULD NOTE: when you replace the factory head unit, you will lose the ability to configure things through the head unit (like press door unlock once or twice to open doors, etc). So make sure you have everything set up exactly the way you want it to stay (forever), before you bring it in for the swap.

Well, I cannot guess what your Mazda dealer would use, but if the dealer has "not been able to describe what the upgrade system will have or look like", I would stay away!

I replaced my 2014's with a Kenwood system myself. Not too difficult, you just need to get the correct interface module to keep the steering wheel buttons, etc. ONE THING YOU SHOULD NOTE: when you replace the factory head unit, you will lose the ability to configure things through the head unit (like press door unlock once or twice to open doors, etc). So make sure you have everything set up exactly the way you want it to stay (forever), before you bring it in for the swap.
I am probably an average DIYer these days. It looks like the biggest part of the install is being patient while you detach the car dash parts. What level DIY skill do you think is neccessary

Well, it was many years ago, but I didn't think anything was that complicated. A lot of the dash just unclips (see first couple of pages of attached pdf - included since photos have gone from that original thread.).

However, after I started looking back at my saved links and pics, I remembered about a lot more complexity with the wiring (for reusing Mazda microphone, usb port and factory rearview camera, etc) so may have been looking through rose-tinted glasses :)

This may dissuade you, but remember, the car installers will probably not do a lot of this stuff, and simply not reuse the mic/USB/camera.

Tips threads here:

...and lastly, my "plug and play" radio harness:

1690229335856.png

Attachments

• How To Remove Dash Vent Shiny Trim, Head Unit and Center Floor Piece.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 86
We have a 2014 CX5 and are wanting to upgrade the infotainment system. I seem to have 3 options but do not know as much about one of them (the dealer upgrade).
1) Best Buy will install a Pioneer system for about $600
2) A car audio shop will install a Sony system for about $700
3) The Mazda dealership will do the upgrade for about $500

With options 1 and 2 I can research the system, see reviews and know well what we are getting. The dealership has not been able to describe what the upgrade system will have or look like so it is hard to know what to expect.

The 2014 has the system in the dashboard and the current screen is nice but is not as vivid, bright or nice as the Sony or Pioneer systems. Does the dealer upgrade use this system? Does the upgrade provide a clear, bright screen that is comparable to replacement brands?

Any suggestions or tips for any of the 3 routes, let me know.

Thanks
Go with the dealership. They will install a Mazda upgrade and you won't lose any Mazda settings.

Totally fdsagree with going to Mazda. Personally, I would do the Sony at the shop that specifically does this kind of thing. Surely they know what they are doing and that includes the harness for the steering wheel buttons. Well worth the $100 you'd save at BB, I'd bet.
How often does anyone really change those car settings anyway? Me? Never. The only thing I mess with is audio stuff...which would be part of the new headunit anyway.

CX5 2016: Hi Is there a link to the latest firmware EU please? Tia
We don't offer links for that stuff as Mazda doesn't offer it online. And they will send the lawyers after you if you do post it somewhere.

Back