Axxess or PAC for steering wheel adapter?

Thanks, but it seems like everybody thinks that I'm going for the cheaper one. No I'm not. I just want to know the difference between the two.
I have checked on that, but I don't think that is enough only that adapter, at least crutchfield said it.

Thanks, but it seems like everybody thinks that I'm going for the cheaper one. No I'm not. I just want to know the difference between the two.
I have checked on that, but I don't think that is enough only that adapter, at least crutchfield said it.
Hey there's absolutely nothing wrong with picking the cheaper one if it fulfils your needs. Ignore the snide remarks from the snooty folks :)

I've had enough of the stupid MP3 playback and crappy sound of the Mazda radio and have finally decided on (and ordered) a new Kenwood head unit to replace it (DDX491HD). As part of that I've been investigating the accessory parts I'll need, hence chiming in on this thread. I've decided (for my NON-Bose Touring) I'll be getting the PAC SWI-RC for myself. Don't see why I should pay 4 times as much for the other PAC, for functionality extras that I don't need or want.

Thank you for the nice words.
I have checked out Pac site and there it said that the SWI-RC should work, but if you if you go to crutchfield there they don't mention this adapter. If I remember well, they say that you will need an additional adapter, other then the SWI-RC. I would send an Email to them, before you buy any of the adapters.
I have picked up 2x DNX6990HD, sent out for repair and one is already sold, need to send out the second unit. I ahve also picked up a broken DNX9990HD which I will take it to a Kenwood sevice department, not to far from where I live. I will use the DNX9990HD for my car, when is repaired. I have done some repair on it, but There is still something on the video board, which I'm not able to repair.
Not to long ago I have even build a carpc on a dual core Intel board, with touch screen, HD radio adapter, bluetooth, SSD HDD, microphone, Garmin GPS, Centrafuse interface software, Windows 8. I have never ended up installing it in any of my cars.

I don't know the price of the Axxess, but the PAC is 50% off at Crutchfield.com when you buy a car stereo.

As I posted earlier in this thread, you can get 50% off the PAC-RP4-MZ11 at Crutchfield if you buy select head units from them, including Kenwoods.

The advantage of this adapter over the cheaper one is that this one comes with the brown connector shown here that allows you to plug right into the Mazda factory interface without cutting into factory wires.
x541RP4MZ11-o-1.jpg

Last edited:
So basically the SWI-RC and this wiring harness is needed.
This harness, is not the regular wire harness that everybody sells?
I see the jack, which is most likely the steering wheel control harness, on the right, but what is the small connector on the left?
Where is the antenna adapter?
I have already purchased, the brown connector harness and the antenna adapter.

The small connector on the left plugs into the PAC. This image (above) is just one part of the kit. All the loose wires would connect to the new stereo, then you bring it to the car and plug the brown connector right into the existing Mazda stereo harness.

OK, an update from me. Been doing more investigation, and am now swaying back toward PAC RP4-MZ11 :(

Basically, I want to re-use the Mazda rear-view camera and so need a reversing signal. The RP4-MZ11 apparently supplies this (derived via the CAN bus). The alternative is to (a) hook in to the reverse switch under the transmission, and add a relay for power, or (b) hook in to the reversing lights at the back and then route a wire all the way back to the head unit. So now wondering if the ~$55 cost difference is worth my time and effort running/attaching just that wire. Aggh!

OK, so after all this discussion, I've decided to summarize the pros/cons of using the RP4-MZ11 vs. the PAC SWI-RC or Access ASWC-1 (the latter two seem the same feature-wise) as they apply to the CX-5. So here goes:

PROs (of RP4-MZ11)
  • Feature allows 2 different functions on same button (short/long press)
  • Supplies Amp power-on signal on CAN bus (if you have Bose, you need this)
  • Supplies Reversing signal for use with back-up cameras. (Probably not reqd if you are running your own aftermarket camera+wires.)
  • Supplies VSS (speed) signal for NAV or other units that require it.
  • Supplies Handbrake signal (though this is not needed for most radios, where you can simply ground the wire)
  • Includes Mazda radio harness plug/adapter (though these are available for only ~$5 if you buy separate)
CONs
  • Costs WAY more. Available online for ~$100 vs. ~$40+$5 for SWC-RC & harness adapter.

Decisions. Decisions.

RedBaron, just so you know, the RP4-MZ11 will not directly make the stock back up cam work. It is designed to work with aftermarket cameras.

Just fyi: To make the stock camera work at all, the power supply needs to be reduced to 6v, and you would have to manually splice in an RCA type connector, or whatever connector is on the back of your new head unit.

I will have to run wires in the back, anyway. I will install a JL Audio shallow sub in the spare wheel and maybe even the amp will go there. Maybe even a camera if I can't reuse the original.
Kenwood supplies amp power on signal.
VSS, I don't need, but Pioneer units do need them.
Handbrake is not an issue.
Mazda harness and antenna adapter I have already.
The only difference is, the long press button functions, which are really needed? What are they doing?

RedBaron, just so you know, the RP4-MZ11 will not directly make the stock back up cam work. It is designed to work with aftermarket cameras.

Just fyi: To make the stock camera work at all, the power supply needs to be reduced to 6v, and you would have to manually splice in an RCA type connector, or whatever connector is on the back of your new head unit.
Yes, I understand that, but the head unit needs the 'reverse signal' to switch the camera view on. THAT's what the RP4-MZ11 will provide.

For the camera itself, I will supply ground and (accessory switched) 12V thru a 6V regulator to it, and adapt the signal & shield to an RCA plug to plug into the Kenwood radio. The camera will be on all the time ignition is on, but the radio will only display video when the reverse signal from the RP4-MZ11 goes 'high'. This will also allow the manual turn on of the camera at the radio (the Kenwood allows this), even when not reversing.

Last edited:
I will have to run wires in the back, anyway. I will install a JL Audio shallow sub in the spare wheel and maybe even the amp will go there. Maybe even a camera if I can't reuse the original.
OK then that's fine.

Kenwood supplies amp power on signal.
If you have Bose, my understanding is that the "amp on" signal comes over the CAN bus, NOT from a signal wire. I don't have Bose, so cannot confirm this - but you should check carefully first. (Ignore if you don't have Bose :))

VSS, I don't need, but Pioneer units do need them.
Handbrake is not an issue.
Mazda harness and antenna adapter I have already.
Agreed, fine.

The only difference is, the long press button functions, which are really needed? What are they doing?
It allows you to put two commands on any/each button if you want to. There are only a few commands that the PAC will send anyway, so this may or may not be very usefull. Certainly not a swing vote in my book.

On my previous two cars, I have used the back up bulb signal for the cameras.
I don't have the Bose system. Just the basic Touring, with some accessories.
The Kenwood unit provides the power on signal. I think even the antenna adapter needs a 12V turn on signal if I remember well. At least on my ex VW I had to hook it up to a 12V source, because inside the adapter, had an RF amplifier build in.

Update here, per tibimakai reminding me in another thread...

Did you end up buying the PAC RP4-MZ11 adapter?
Yes, I did.

As I said earlier, I was tossing up the extra cost vs. having to supply a reversing signal wire. Since I found the RP4 for less than $45 more (on eBay) than the cheaper Axxess ASWC-1 box, I figured the $45 was worth it for the saving in time and frustration running a wire from the reversing lights back up to the front of the car. Also, the RP4 derives the backlight/dim wire from the CANbus for you. If you use the Axxess, you'll have to run another hardwire to a backlight bulb circuit somewhere. UPDATE: I found that there is, in fact, a dash illumination wire in the standard harness that works just fine. Not sure why the PAC instructions explicitly say to use theirs for the CX-5, but at least with my 2014, either the car's harness wire, OR the PAC's, work fine for night dimming.

One other thing I found too... the wiring harnesses you can get to use with the Axxess, e.g. the Metra 70-7903 for one, do NOT have all the pins needed for the SWC wires! You need three (audio buttons, phone buttons and common) but the Metra harness only has two of those (audio and common).

In the end it was simply easier to use the RP4-MZ11, the extra cost was more than offset by the time and effort saved. Plus I now have the '2 functions/button' feature :).

So, to update my Pros/Cons list:

PROs (of RP4-MZ11)
  • Feature allows 2 different functions on same button (short/long press)
  • Supplies Amp power-on signal on CAN bus (if you have Bose, you need this)
  • Supplies Reversing signal for use with back-up cameras. (Probably not reqd if you are running your own aftermarket camera+wires.)
  • Supplies illumination/dim signal (saves hardwiring to dashlight bulb somewhere) <Not required>
  • Supplies VSS (speed) signal for NAV or other units that require it.
  • Supplies Handbrake signal (though this is not needed for most radios, where you can simply ground the wire)
  • Includes Mazda radio harness plug/adapter (though these are available for ~$5 if you buy separate, the alternatives do NOT have all the wires you need. Buy two and transfer/merge wires :))
CONs
  • Costs more. Available online for ~$100 (as low as $92 on eBay, or $80 if you buy with radio from Crutchfield) vs. ~$45+$5 (+$5) for ASWC-1 & harness adapter(s).

For your reference, this is the Metra 70-7903 adapter harness, showing what wires are populated (or not):

attachment.php

Compared to the RP4-MZ11's harness plug:

attachment.php

Last edited:
Updated my Pros/Cons post above... I found that there is, in fact, a dash illumination wire in the standard harness that works just fine. So you don't need the RP4-MZ11 for that one function.

Also, the PAC instructions are slightly incorrect. Corrections are:

- Instructions show the PAC module illumination wire in the Interface connector is Orange/White. In fact it is just Orange.
- Instructions show a Blue/White "Amp Turn-on Input" in the Interface connector. In fact it's in the Vehicle Harness connector.

Here is the spreadsheet I generated, that describes each wire from 2014 CX-5 Touring vehicle harness plug, through PAC module, to my Kenwood DDX491HD radio. Note: my car does not have Bose, if yours does, you're on your own, but at least you'll need the turn on wire too (I'm guessing). Hopefully this helps someone, at least as a basis to work from...

View attachment CX5-PAC_wiring.zip

Last edited:
Thank you very much for your help. I don't have the Bose system either.
I will buy the same setup then.

Back