Cost to replace brake pads and rotors on 2011 CX-9

That's because even actual race cars don't use that drilled crap, and the only race cars I can think of that uses slotted is NASCAR, the very races where brakes are hardly used!
Well, most of the time you and I agree, but in this case, your interest theories are not exactly accurate?

I will agree that on most street cars having either or both drill and slotted rotors in most cases has no benefit except aesthetic value the performance look of a racecar... or just KOOL looking! . On the performance side for what they on a sanctioned track vs the street is very different. And most that are available for OEM replacements unfortunately most drilled rotors are not drilled correctly for the finished product, and these are the ones you often read that have issues, mostly cracking or breaking. There are some slight benefits on a street car for slotted rotos but very small.

As for competition many like NASCAR depending on who is building it may use none drilled or slotted rotors preferring more braking surface area for braking which is lost by when you remove any of the surface of a rotos that make pad contact.

When I machine the rotor from high quality machined raw discs I am carefully with not build fictional heat during the machining and drilling rotors I micro polish every hole from front to back. My rotors have never had any incident of fracturing or breaking.

Drilled and or slotted rotors on a street car with some wheel designs you can see clearly the rotor and IMHO KOOL! All my vehicles for the "KOOL" drilled and slotted rotors.

This the most resent MAZDA BBK rotor I machined drilled for an application that did not offer both drilled and slotted rotors in the size needed for the BBK kit.

Attachments

• received_306207087541346edited.jpg
    received_306207087541346edited.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 95
Theblooms seems to have his panties in a bunch and thinks he is right about everything so on that note, in order to avoid conflict by the instigator it's best his responses are ignored.

thinks he is right about everything
I get accused of this as well at times on some threads. I don't participate on that many in this forum mostly only those that I feel I have experienced based information that I can pass on or support and help members providing.
BRAKES and DIY I feel that they should be informed with real facts and choices as well service procedure is extremely important. Your car that you work on yourself having to do with the brakes if you fail in any aspect of it may result in you damaging my vehicles or property or worse. So I do take brakes very seriously.

Most of the information on this thread is not bad at all. There were a few responses that made my go "really wtf" but I consider where some get their information and try to smile and respond without to much injury to a member. :giggle:

I actually read things and consider at times if there is real facts to support some things posted. I can tell you I learn all the time on forums even with my background in the automation industry in many aspects. (y)

Curious what the dealer would charge for a brake job? I had the brakes done on my Jeep GC 8 years ago and the charge from the dealer was very completive with big store brake places. ed

Curious what the dealer would charge for a brake job? I had the brakes done on my Jeep GC 8 years ago and the charge from the dealer was very completive with big store brake places. ed
I think this all depends on the location. In my state dealers are very competitive with service shops for many things like brake jobs electrical tune ups, oil changes etc.
If some separate their dislike for the new and used vehicle sale end of a dealerships business the service and the parts departments in many places are as competitive in price and want your business.

Btw, just so there's no confusion on cost, the prices for the parts for a complete 4 wheel brake job I'm quoting are in USD, not Canadian. That is for quality parts.

I've replaced the pads and rotors on my CX-9 myself multiple times. If you know what you're doing then you can do each wheel/side in an hour, so about 4-6 hours total for all 4 sides. If you live in a harsh climate (like I do) then more than likely your rotors will be stuck on and you'll have to hit them/heat them/whatever trick you can find on youtube to get them off. It once took me a good hour to get one of the rear rotors off. Also, the rear rotors will not come off until you retract the parking shoes, which in and of itself can be problematic if, like me, you live in harsh climate, because the adjustment screw may be rusted and seized and will require heat (propane blow torch) and lots of PB Blaster/your favourite penetrant.

Like others here, I recommend replacing the pads & rotors at the same time, as does Rockauto. I've replaced just the pads and left the old rotors in and after the pads bedded in I had brake pedal pulsing issues and braking performance just wasn't as good as when I've replaced rotors and pads.

Last year I replaced the CX-9's rotors, pads, and calipers. I found EBC blank rotors on amazon.ca for very cheap (they actually come in a pair), got Raybestos EHT pads from rockauto, and Centric calipers locally at a parts store here in the GTA. Here's a list of the parts I got and approximate prices I paid:

EBC Premium RK1698 front rotors: $28.22 CAD (for 2)
EBC Premium RK7467 rear rotors: $54.55 CAD (for 2)
Raybestos Element3 EHT1258H front pads: $28.89 USD
Raybestos Element3 EHT1259H rear pads: $25.79 USD
Centric 141.61130 (L), Centric 141.61129 (R) front calipers: $200 CAD
Centric 141.45568 (L), Centric 141.45567 (R) rear calipers: $199.98 CAD

^ As you can see above, you can find really good deals on rotors and pads. My cost for rotors and pads was $120 USD for all four sides, which is a steal, and I admit that I was lucky to have found EBC blank rotors on amazon.ca at those ridiculously low prices. Initially I thought they were single rotors and actually ordered double of everything, and was shocked when the boxes arrived and each box had 2 rotors inside. I had 8 rotors at home at one point and ended up returning all the extra ones back to amazon.

I also flushed and replaced my brake fluid since I replaced the calipers. Braking was significantly improved after all the work was done and even my wife commented that the car had not stopped so well since when we first got it brand new. I actually think it stops better now than it did then :)

Back