Considering a new CX-5

Hello everyone, new to the forum here. So lately I have been considering a new CX-5, either a 2023 or wait for the 2024's to come out. I currently drive a 2016 Ram 1500 sport that has been fully paid off for over a year now but after my recent move across the country for a new job I no longer have or foresee any use for a truck any longer and with gas prices in Canada going through the roof each fill up hurts more and more.

In Canada a fully loaded CX-5 Signature is around 46.5k + tax, local dealers have offered 27-29k for my truck making the new vehicle cost very reasonable. Now my question for everyone here, how do you like your CX-5? Any regrets, things to look for, worthwhile upgrades to make right away, etc?

I would most likely be making a few purchases right away such as front/rear dash cams and full front PPF as I know the paint is rather thin on Mazda vehicles.

Any and all feedback would be greatly appreciated.

I'm not sure if the lineup is the same but when we purchased our 19 Reserve there were 3 trim levels.
Touring, Reserve and Signature. The Reserve was basically the same as the Signature except for the 360 camera and the seat colors. There was a couple thousand dollars price difference for basically the same vehicle. The Reserve was the better deal.

No regrets so far, roughly 40k miles and no problems. Will probably trade-in later this year or early next b4 the powertrain warranty expires on another CX-5 due to the cylinder head problem on the earlier turbos.

2016 CX-5 Grand Touring AWD. 70k miles no regrets. No issues, standard service - oil brakes tires.

I will say I could not live without sport mode. It gets around 10 to 12 mpg in sport mode but it’s worth it. If you need the extra power to get out of a jam or get by someone on the freeway it’s always there.

2016 CX-5 Grand Touring AWD. 70k miles no regrets. No issues, standard service - oil brakes tires.

I will say I could not live without sport mode. It gets around 10 to 12 mpg in sport mode but it’s worth it. If you need the extra power to get out of a jam or get by someone on the freeway it’s always there.
You don't need "sport mode" with the Turbo.

There's a fairly steep hill that bisects my town which I frequently traverse. Using sport mode in my 2018 Mazda3 2.5l, the car sails effortlessly over this incline, a gear lower and with different throttle mapping than it would use in normal mode. If I do this in my wife's 2023 CX-5, it just sounds like it's a gear too low and it doesn't go any faster. It's all in the gearing! The CX-5 is geared significantly lower than the M3 (with the same engine) because it has to carry around 500 more pounds. All of which makes sport mode kind of useless.☹️

I’ve had two cx5s. One was a 2020 and my current one is a 2022. I’m quite happy with them. Both were Signature trims. The Signature trim used to be the only trim that had the black headliner which I find makes a huge difference in the feel of the rig (reminds me of my beloved VW GTi). The parking sensors are/were a Signature trim option I really wanted as well.

Things I like: ventilated seats, turbos torque, new and updated infotainment screen/software, interior is very nice and has a quality feel, headlights (very impressive brightness (new headlight design in ‘22 and the adaptive feature is a bonus), highway fuel economy is decent, fairly quiet on highway and it handles great and has suspension that is perfectly firm (not floaty).

Things I dislike: no hybrid drivetrain option, the transmissions in all my Mazdas have been a little rough in slow speed situations (parking lots), the absence of wireless CarPlay with the inclusion of the wireless charger is a head scratcher ( I think wireless CP is available again in ‘24).

I highly recommend the CX5. The model has been around for awhile so Mazda seems to have perfected it, in my opinion!

Last edited:
My new 2023 CX-5 s select arrived in Baltimore today. I'm in CT. Hope to see it later this week or early next week. It will be my third CX-5, so you can guess I'm happy with the vehicle. I am moving on from a 2018 with 26000 miles, the first CX with CD. Power train warrantee is up so I'll get another 5 years. What I like is fit and finish, and safety features. I don't have to add on a sunroof to get blind spot warnings.
I have had zero problems with the two I've owned. I do wish the rear vision was better but I'm really careful about checking what's behind me before making a move.
Plenty of power for me. Elderly couple so my big power days are gone.
I will appreciate the remote start and android auto as well. I did look around, but nothing swayed me enough to move away from the Mazda. Good luck with your shopping.

Back