Complete CX-5 Wheel Specs

I hadn't noticed that in your OP, but why would you go with WIDER wheels when switching to winter tires? Narrower and taller (tires) always work better in snow, certainly. It creates a longer, narrower tire patch as opposed to a wider one. So the tire will "cut through" the snow better rather than float over it. Floating is equivalent to hydroplaning. You lose control.

Last edited:
yea was getting a good deal on the 8" they are a rota boost wheel would they still be alright?

I don't know for sure, but I wouldn't go with a wider wheel for winter driving. Besides, the winter weather, snow, ice, road grime and salt would ruin them in short order.

Ok thanks very much, was going to put 225/65/17 but they a too narrow right? should be 235.

you should be fine with 225 on an 8 inch wheel. I ran a that on my six for a bit. Its just a little stretch.

So if i get some 20"... what tire size should I go with? I don't care much for the low profile tires.. I wanna get as much comfort as i can get, the taller the tire the better.. but whats the highest I can go to without rubbing and dealing with alignment/camber issues?

Hope you don't mind. I took the info from the first post and made a quick reference for myself.

Stock Wheel Spec

Bolt Pattern: 5 x 114.3mm
Center Bore: 67.1mm
Offset: 50mm (ET50)

Wheel Size: 17" x 7.0" JJ; 19" x 7.0 " JJ
Tire Size: 225/65R17; 225/55R19

Also to share, I've found this tire size calculator to be useful. It's made for Mazda Miata, but works for all tire sizes to calculate fitting different size wheels/tires on your car.

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

20jmwax.jpg

Kampfire,
Thank you for your post on tire sizing. I'm a new Mazda 2013 CX 5 with 19 inch stock wheels and I want a more aggressive taller and wider tire look that will fit on the stock wheel. Do you have any suggestions for a tire size or a contact that I can correspond with to get advice?

Not quite complete without weights? I don't want to buy heavier wheels then stock.

The stock CX-5 17" wheels are about 20-21 lbs. each. I found some OZ Alleggerita HLT's under 15 lbs. each. It made the car feel slightly peppier. The only thing I don't like about them is the inside of the rim is level so they hold road sand in there.

Plenty of aftermarket wheels are heavier than the OEM wheels so be careful what you buy. The OEM 17" wheels are decent quality.

I just pulled off one of the OEM 19's with the OEM tire and weighed it on my digital bathroom scale. It fluctuated between 57.5 and 58 lbs.
I calibrated my scale with a couple of 20lbs dumbells and it was within .5lbs, so it's close.
Something else that was interesting, the Optional Wheel Lock lugs started to grab at approx 20 ft/lbs, so go torque them up. I have about 200 miles on my car.

Last edited:
I just pulled off one of the OEM 19's with the OEM tire and weighed it on my digital bathroom scale. It fluctuated between 57.5 and 58 lbs.

Interesting. The OEM 17" wheels w/tires are only 49.4-49.6 lbs. That's a difference of 8 lbs. per wheel or 32 lbs. total which is significant since the extra weight has more rotational inertia as well as the normal inertia associated with carrying around extra weight. That's enough to affect fuel economy significantly even without considering the extra wheel weight is carried further from the axle centers which increases the rotational inertia more than the simple weight differences would indicate.

A lot of great info here.
Haven't checked into it but would 17x7.5 with +55 offset and 225-65-17 tire fit good? I can't see such a small difference being an issue on a cuv. Correct me if I'm wrong

I recently did the same, my readings were showing around 62 pounds.(just recently bought a set of four for spares)

I calibrated my scale with a couple of 20lbs dumbells and it was within .5lbs, so it's close.
Something else that was interesting, the Optional Wheel Lock lugs started to grab at approx 20 ft/lbs, so go torque them up. I have about 200 miles on my car.

Hi all! My CX-5 come with tires size 225/65/17. Is it possible for me to replace it with size 235/65/17 so the tire will be wider. I need comment on this before I order the tires. Thanks!

No. The diameter will also be different and your speed and odometer will be off.

The nearest larger tire size that would match the diameter, would be 245/60/17. No idea if they would rub though.

Latest posts

Back