2017~2024 Clunk on sharp turns with brand new CX-5

Hi all, last week I took delivery of a new Touring AWD CX-5. I have 350 miles on it now and there is a clunking noise when I make sharp turns coming from the dash/glove box area on the right side. I thought maybe someone left something in the glove box or in the storage compartment of the door but they are all empty. Then I thought maybe it was the passenger seat belt hitting the B pillar but I don't think that is the cause either. Is there a known issue with CX-5 and clunking noise on sharp turns? Thanks for any help before I have to take it back to the dealer to look at.

Check for any loose bolts under the hood, near the plastic cowl by the windshield. Also check the strut tower bolts to make sure they are tight. A few owners have reported that this solved their clunking problems.

There was a pretty detailed thread on this, if you do a forum search it should come up.

By a "sharp" turn do you mean a hard turn at speed that might cause something to move from the centrifugal force of the turn? Or a turn like in a parking lot where you're at a slow speed and turning the steering wheel hard in one direction?

By a "sharp" turn do you mean a hard turn at speed that might cause something to move from the centrifugal force of the turn? Or a turn like in a parking lot where you're at a slow speed and turning the steering wheel hard in one direction?
The first option..definitely enough centrifugal force to move something side to side.. Sounds like something loose being thrown around to one side of the glove box but there is nothing in there but the manual and the window sticker.

Check for any loose bolts under the hood, near the plastic cowl by the windshield. Also check the strut tower bolts to make sure they are tight. A few owners have reported that this solved their clunking problems.

There was a pretty detailed thread on this, if you do a forum search it should come up.
I'll try a search and see if I can find the thread you are referencing...thanks.

At only 350 miles, my take on it is that it's a Mazda problem.
Take it back to the dealer and let them figure it out.
True, was just hoping it was something easy or a common problem. I hate going to the dealer just to be told "we can't replicate the issue".

Try taking the manual out of the glovebox, and also check the pockets in the door panels for loose items. Anything that can move has the potential to make some noise.

Hi all, last week I took delivery of a new Touring AWD CX-5. I have 350 miles on it now and there is a clunking noise when I make sharp turns coming from the dash/glove box area on the right side. I thought maybe someone left something in the glove box or in the storage compartment of the door but they are all empty. Then I thought maybe it was the passenger seat belt hitting the B pillar but I don't think that is the cause either. Is there a known issue with CX-5 and clunking noise on sharp turns? Thanks for any help before I have to take it back to the dealer to look at.

Have the dealership tighten the cowl bolts. All mine were able to be turned by hand which were very loose. They also tightened the chassis bolts. I had a clunking sound coming from the front as well. Once they tightened them the clunk is gone and car is quiet.

Have the dealership tighten the cowl bolts. All mine were able to be turned by hand which were very loose. They also tightened the chassis bolts. I had a clunking sound coming from the front as well. Once they tightened them the clunk is gone and car is quiet.
That was my thought as well. Seemed to be a common CX5 issue.

My brother had a mystery noise driving him nuts (19' signature). Turned out to be something in the overhead console glasses holder.

I'm going to give the car another look over before driving it this evening. Won't leave any nook or cranny unchecked for loose items. If I can't figure out the issue I guess it's off to the dealership.

I'm going to give the car another look over before driving it this evening. Won't leave any nook or cranny unchecked for loose items. If I can't figure out the issue I guess it's off to the dealership.
If possible, record the noise...we would love to see it/hear it! Also, showing the Technician looking at your car a recording of the noise can help them know what to listen for.

If possible, record the noise...we would love to see it/hear it! Also, showing the Technician looking at your car a recording of the noise can help them know what to listen for.
I am going in on 2/20/23 for the pop noise and small oil seepage see photo, and I will try to remember to record sound and take out the SD card (map) now incase lol.

Attachments

• IMG_3458.jpeg
    IMG_3458.jpeg
    110.1 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_3459.jpeg
    IMG_3459.jpeg
    101.4 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG_3460.jpeg
    IMG_3460.jpeg
    108.2 KB · Views: 182
I tried to look for them but when I took the plastic loose those bolts seem tight. Anyways I got my 21 GTR on 6/2021 so should be warranty. I will report back on 2/20/23 my appointment date.

Last edited:
interesting , i have the same on mine 2022 turbo but only when there is a drop in the road surface and a turn. It is from the outside. Will check them at the next oil change. Thank you for the suggestion sig-cx5.

interesting , i have the same on mine 2022 turbo but only when there is a drop in the road surface and a turn. It is from the outside. Will check them at the next oil change. Thank you for the suggestion sig-cx5.
The one pop noise happens on dips too. Its only one pop. I should record the noise and post it on YT.

Back