Circuit's 03.5 Protege5

looking good! I feel like your car doesnt get the credit it deserves

^What Brian said. You have probably the cleanest P5 around dude, big props for all your hard work! That bay is straight money haha very nice!

Thanks guys. Honestly it's impossible to get recognized with a protege out here. If it's not a Miata or rx7, no ones cares lol. And that's even if there's a Mazda category.

I'm happy with the bay but it's no way up to par with the Hondas out here.

Can't compare our cars with Hondas. Honda parts are 2 times more plentiful, 5x the options, and a quarter the cost vs what's out there for the P5. Even for older generations. And your car looks 10x better than most Hondas

Hondas are overrated.

Can't compare our cars with Hondas. Honda parts are 2 times more plentiful, 5x the options, and a quarter the cost vs what's out there for the P5. Even for older generations. And your car looks 10x better than most Hondas

Hondas are overrated.
+1

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Hondas are overrated.

I agree with that pretty much any kid can take some janky Honda and slam it full of rice without any effort but it takes actual dedication and time and effort to make a protg proper most people give up and get a Honda or whatever because its "easier". circuit's car is at the pinnacle I love it thanks for all you do man!

Hondas are overrated.

+1

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

I agree with that pretty much any kid can take some janky Honda and slam it full of rice without any effort but it takes actual dedication and time and effort to make a protg proper most people give up and get a Honda or whatever because its "easier". circuit's car is at the pinnacle I love it thanks for all you do man!

Thanks guys. I'm talking about the top Hondas in the show car game. There is nothing plentiful or cheap about those cars. Those are the types of builds I look to for inspiration. They are truly on another level.

Some examples:

http://stickydiljoe.com/2015/01/05/the-chronicles-top-ten-hondas-of-2014-10-6/
http://stickydiljoe.com/2015/01/07/the-chronicles-top-ten-hondas-of-20145-1/

Ah nope. Finding parts for a civic or s2000 is going to be 5 times easier than finding parts for a P5. As clean as your P5 is and as old as it is (12ish years old) I am sure there are 16 year old kids and general public (non car type people) have no clue that this car is not some new Mazda model for 2016. On the other hand almost everyone can tell an old civic or accord when they see one. There was just too many of them. Our P5s where here in the states for like 2 years. No one knows about them, and almost no one has mod parts for them. Why would they? Including my daily P5 all the P5s I see around here are rotted out s*** boxes.

s***, my cam gears came from Australia and Montana I think. My ECU came from Canada, and my header originally who the hell knows! I live in Chicago and there are plenty of mod shops around, and they have nothing but Honda, Subaru, and Mitsubishi parts in stock. If you tell them you have a P5 they have no idea what a P5 is. Its a clear PITA to find "bolt on parts" for a P5.

Modding the P5 has always been a uphill struggle. Especially N/A. And as the years keep ticking by the harder it will be. So man take the compliment and sit back and soak it in cause your car is at the top man. If you need inspiration, OK I can see it. But for comparison... you need to find something as rare as the P5.

Nothing against Honda, they make a great car. But.. **** EM.

Ah nope. Finding parts for a civic or s2000 is going to be 5 times easier than finding parts for a P5. As clean as your P5 is and as old as it is (12ish years old) I am sure there are 16 year old kids and general public (non car type people) have no clue that this car is not some new Mazda model for 2016. On the other hand almost everyone can tell an old civic or accord when they see one. There was just too many of them. Our P5s where here in the states for like 2 years. No one knows about them, and almost no one has mod parts for them. Why would they? Including my daily P5 all the P5s I see around here are rotted out s*** boxes.

s***, my cam gears came from Australia and Montana I think. My ECU came from Canada, and my header originally who the hell knows! I live in Chicago and there are plenty of mod shops around, and they have nothing but Honda, Subaru, and Mitsubishi parts in stock. If you tell them you have a P5 they have no idea what a P5 is. Its a clear PITA to find "bolt on parts" for a P5.

Modding the P5 has always been a uphill struggle. Especially N/A. And as the years keep ticking by the harder it will be. So man take the compliment and sit back and soak it in cause your car is at the top man. If you need inspiration, OK I can see it. But for comparison... you need to find something as rare as the P5.

Nothing against Honda, they make a great car. But.. **** EM.

Most often it gets mistaken for a Subaru :D since I only have the Mazda badge on the hatch. Rare FWD NA square-eye.

If you look at those top Hondas, there's tons of custom 1-off parts. Because the cars are so plentiful it's hard to make one that stands out. That's why the top Hondas are so crazy. The attention to detail is insane.

The protege is similarly hard to build because of lack of parts. I agree. I have parts from all over the U.S., Japan, Australia, Canada, etc.

Again I thank you guys for all the compliments and support. The car is at a good stopping point but there's no point in keeping it. I won't just let it take up garage space. It won't win at any shows (which is what I built it from). It's not enjoyable to drive long distances.

I'll definitely be moving on from this car probably January next year. I'd love for it to get sold whole, but that likely won't happen. Part out as close to stock as possible and then sell it to carmax. Pay off my Jetta TDI (especially now with dieselgate) and move up to an A6 Avant. Keep it simple for that build: bags, TE37's, OEM+

Man, Chris I know exactly what you're saying. Protege's get no love.

Yeah if I put the same amount of money, time, and work into an FC or Miata I'd have a way faster and more well-known car lol. But I'm not about that 2-door life. So Audi here I come.

LOL By the time its actually for sale if indeed it is itll already be all dibbed out!!

Why an a6? Why not an s3 or rs4(dance)

This is Alex btw, dibs on carbing struts!

Don't like the dumb pop-up screen on the S3. And I want a wagon, which the RS4 is not offered as. I LOVE the super long body of the A6 Avant especially when laid out. The 3.0 TFSI is the same supercharged V6 as in the S4.

PS no dibs on anything haha. I'll give preference to local pickups of course. But no part-out talk until the time comes...

Don't like the dumb pop-up screen on the S3. And I want a wagon, which the RS4 is not offered as. I LOVE the super long body of the A6 Avant especially when laid out. The 3.0 TFSI is the same supercharged V6 as in the S4.

Ahhh, I see where you're going with that now. Can't leave the wagon game alone..

A couple months ago my buddy Ivan (owner of Wagonsteez) called me at 10pm on a Friday night and said, "Do you want to be in a magazine? Meet me at BecauseBags tomorrow at 10."

350590C7-D455-49D3-B463-9A93E445FC89_zpsuo0sqijv.jpg

Needless to say, this is awesome. Wagonist Magazine November 2015 issue. Feature of the Vankulture crew with a couple wagons in the background. And yes, that's me on the far right with my P5 in the background.

Last edited:
Back