Changing oil grade? Y/N?

Are there any forum members from Japan that post here? I wonder what oil they are using. I won’t be changing my oil for awhile since my 2023 2.5 T only has 2,500 miles but when I do I’m going with the manufacturer’s recommended weight in a full synthetic.
I used Pennzoil 5W-20 synthetic in my Chrysler 300 V-6 for 7 years and never had an issue. As the saying goes “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it.”

If you're at 2500 miles I'd recommend changing it now to get fresh oil. You have silicone from the engine assembly and initial wear metals floating around in there. You also have more fuel dilution as the rings let more fuel into your oil until they fully break in and seat. This drops the viscosity of your oil. I did mine at 1200.

If you're at 2500 miles I'd recommend changing it now to get fresh oil. You have silicone from the engine assembly and initial wear metals floating around in there. You also have more fuel dilution as the rings let more fuel into your oil until they fully break in and seat. This drops the viscosity of your oil. I did mine at 1200.
The dealership did it at 2,190 miles which was just before I purchased the vehicle. It shows on the CarFax. Thanks for the recommendation.

Never said there's any damage using 0W-20. Just said that in my vehicle, 5W-30 is noticeably quieter in normal use, which it is. My opinion and experience.
It's said on BITOG website that an 0w-30 will eventually shear down to an 0w-20. Can't imagine what an 0w-20 eventually shears down to.
Were you using the same brand when you switched? I'm finding different brands run quieter than others. I used PP for years, then switched to Ravenol for a bit. Man, that thing was quiet and oil mileage was significantly improved, then switched to Mobile 1 EP- ran just as quiet. These were all 0w-20 grades before I switched to 0w-30.

Back in my LS1 days, it was well known that Mobil 1 ran loud (pushrods and lifters, you know). I ran Amsoil in that car but the cost/benefit doesn't make sense in my daily driver CX-5. I can get 95% as good for 50% of the cost.

5W-30 will objectively protect your engine better than 0W-20 due to its viscosity. This is really important for turbo motors, less so for the NA motor.
It depends on the additives in the oil which protect the oil base (viscosity) from breaking down.
But yes, 0w20 is too thin to begin with.
The oil in the turbo motor will get hotter and needs the viscosity protection (oil breaks down and thins out at high temperatures).
Especially as it goes through the turbocharger. Also, your turbo engine runs considerably richer than the NA variant.
0W-20 produces less drag. Less drag, more friction. Pick your poison.
We are talking about a small difference in friction and drag here.
Maybe use 5W-30 if you live in a climate that is just always hot, like near the equator.
5w30 serves as a good mid range for most conditions. Near the equator, I would certainly prefer thicker.
0W-20 would be more desirable this week here in Nebraska because we are experiencing temps below zero. Sometimes as much as -20°F, the limit of 5W oil.
For sure.

In short, the owners manual in other countries specify that up to 10w50 is fine for these engines. Why 0w20 only for north america? it is suspicious. I have not used it in my vehicle for many years. (300,000KM 91 octane tuned skyactiv 2.5 NA here)

if 10w50 can clear the internal tolerances of this engine, it was NOT designed for only 0w20 oil. 0w20 wasn't even a thing when Mazda was designing the engine. It was designed for a wide range of viscosities. Can you imagine how thin clearances inside these engines would have to be to only accept 0w20 oil???

In short, so long as the additive package in your oil is sufficient, you're fine. But, I would not use 0w oils unless it is like -30c steady outside.

It's funny that the "0w-20 is too thin" conversation is finally making it here after a decade. Last year Toyota started using 0w-8 oil in its 2.0L Corollas. I can just imagine the "oil is too thin" crew going nuts at that

It's funny that the "0w-20 is too thin" conversation is finally making it here after a decade. Last year Toyota started using 0w-8 oil in its 2.0L Corollas. I can just imagine the "oil is too thin" crew going nuts at that
Yeah, except currently you can't get it in the USA, so those cars end up with 0W-16 after the first oil change.

Back