Carplay and Android Auto coming soon? Crossing fingers...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seriously. Wouldn't surprise me if they pulled the 6 from the states. The new Camry is really really good and offers everything(except CarPlay/AA) than an enthusiast might want.

I looked up the Camry on Crutchfield and it looks like you might be able to replace the entertainment system. They only had a single device so I'm not convinced but they didn't say it couldn't be done.

You couldn't pay me to drive a camry. So as long as there's people like me alive (and there are plenty), I can't see the 6 going anywhere anytime soon. All it was missing this generation was more power. Reviewers loved the interior and exterior. The only common complaint was a lack of a 6 cylinder. I know because I was on the fence about the 6 for two years reading every review. Mango, no disrespect but I don't understand the noise coming from you.

Mazda's aren't not selling because of their lack of Carplay or AA. I'm probably the biggest Android proponent on this forum and even I didn't see it as a reason to not buy this car.

Proud Android user since October 22, 2008.

I'm probably the biggest Android proponent on this forum and even I didn't see it as a reason to not buy this car.

You're not. I'll give you #2. ;) But I agree with you #2.

Guys: I did start an alternate thread to this if you wouldn't mind abandoning this long and rambly thread. One that we hope to keep more on point.

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123861528-New-AA-ACP-Thread-(with-Poll!)

giphy.gif

I hate Apple with a passion, love the GIF, 7!

Let's be honest, I don't know about other places, but here in Colorado, people just aren't buying sedans. Most cars you see here on top 10 lists are wagons and CUV's/SUVs. Maybe 3 sedans on the list? I highly doubt CP/AA is the reason why.

For me, this very well could be the deciding factor. I don't necessarily need Android Auto or Car Play, but I really DO need decent nav with real time traffic/road conditions.

I'm in the Boston metro area and we're in an economic boom and we have more traffic than ever. I won't bore you with the details, but it's bad enough that unless I'm just going to the grocery store or running an errand around town, every time I get in the car to go somewhere I mount my phone and monitor traffic while I drive, staying prepared to reroute on short notice. I'm sure the people in the NYC, LA, DC, etc. can relate.

I really don't want to buy a new vehicle knowing that I'll have to continue using my phone on a mount. It's 2017 ffs.

My wife has SiriusXM traffic in the latest UConnect nav in her car. The traffic data tends to lag what I get from Google nav, it frequently misses accidents and small and/or short duration jams, its dynamic re-routing is sometimes questionable, panning and zooming the map is sluggish compared to a phone, and even though we have the latest map data it's missing a major road reconfiguration that finished 3 years ago. It sucks, but it is just useful enough that it keeps me from reaching to check my phone most of the time when driving her car.

If Mazda had integrated SiriusXM traffic, and dynamic rerouting worked at least as well as FCA's UConnect, I could probably swallow my disdain for the commander knob interface and live with it. But with no AA or CP and no real time traffic, buying a CX-5 involves resigning myself to spend another 10 years clicking my phone into an ugly dashboard mount.

Anybody who has followed my posts on the diesel threads knows that I'm very keen on getting the 2.2D or even the 2.5T. Keen enough that I can probably overlook the nav thing. So now that it looks like AA/CP may never be coming after all, it's pretty much diesel or nothing for me.

For me, this very well could be the deciding factor. I don't necessarily need Android Auto or Car Play, but I really DO need decent nav with real time traffic/road conditions.

I don't know why this post triggered me but it did.

Anyways, I hadn't thought about this, because I've never had real-time navigation in a car or the need in a commute, but a lot of tourist's come to where I live. The traffic around these parts is pretty horrible, especially on weekends. What's been interesting is that the freeway pretty much locks up. What I'm starting to see is a lot of traffic on the side/back roads that I used to be able to sneak around in. It never dawned on me that with nav systems being what they are all of these people are being rerouted to my secret paths.

Pretty soon it'll all be blocked. /sad

The new Camry is really really good and offers everything (except CarPlay/AA) than an enthusiast might want. New Accord has a new turbocharged engine and 10 speed automatic.

The base 2018 Accord (which most people will probably buy), will come with the CVT. The same crappy CVT as in a CR-V.
As for a 10 speed transmission, I just don't see the logic there (that's not necessarily aimed solely at Honda).
A nine or ten speed transmission is pretty much just a CVT with programmed shift points.
They also tend to get confused, and have delays while it hunts for the proper gear. Very unnerving from what I've read.

I find it funny too that most car manufacturers are now desperately trying to program their CVT's to mimic a traditional automatic transmission.
That says a lot about what they really think of their CVT's and how much confidence they have in them.
If they want the CVT to mimic an autobox, why not just put in an autobox?
I just don't get the love affair that car manufacturers have with the CVT.

You couldn't pay me to drive a camry. So as long as there's people like me alive (and there are plenty), I can't see the 6 going anywhere anytime soon. All it was missing this generation was more power. Reviewers loved the interior and exterior. The only common complaint was a lack of a 6 cylinder. I know because I was on the fence about the 6 for two years reading every review. Mango, no disrespect but I don't understand the noise coming from you.

35k for a loaded 6 speed with 184 HP, a dated rental car look and a noisy cabin and you wonder why it's not selling? For the same money, you can buy a fully loaded Accord with a V6, better wheels, and better looks too IMO. Plus it's a Honda so reliability will be excellent and comes with CarPlay/AA. The new Accord will improve even further on that. It's a no brainer in most peoples eyes.

The base 2018 Accord (which most people will probably buy), will come with the CVT. The same crappy CVT as in a CR-V.
As for a 10 speed transmission, I just don't see the logic there (that's not necessarily aimed solely at Honda).
A nine or ten speed transmission is pretty much just a CVT with programmed shift points.
They also tend to get confused, and have delays while it hunts for the proper gear. Very unnerving from what I've read.

I find it funny too that most car manufacturers are now desperately trying to program their CVT's to mimic a traditional automatic transmission.
That says a lot about what they really think of their CVT's and how much confidence they have in them.

Who cares about base level trims? Does anyone here ever buy a base trim CX-5? The point is yes the base will come with a CVT, but the option of the 10 speed automatic is there. Much like the option of a 2.0T is there. Much like the option is getting Apple CarPlay/AA is there. Get my point? Mazda doesn't like to give you options. You get a 5 year old 2.5 NA engine, a 5 year old 6 speed auto all running on a 5 year old platform and that's what you get.

No, 2017 Honda CR-V has the best CVT you can find on the market. Many people can't tell they're driving with a CVT on the 2017 CR-V! Although I personally will avoid a CVT as much as I can while making my new car purchases.

The fundamental design differences between conventional geared automatic transmission and CVT is the key. We can say both sides are trying to mimic the better end of the other side making the customers like their system. Having more gears with 9 of 10-speed on a conventional automatic transmission is one way to make conventional AT more efficient like a CVT utilizing the best engine power band for all kind of driving situations. Whereas CVT with programmed shift points makes it feels like a conventional AT!

Car manufactures who preferred conventional 9 or 10-speed automatic transmission mostly are from high-end brands and all use 9/10-speed AT with no issues of hunting gears or shift delays. In fact they drive almost seamlessly during the gear shift almost like a CVT! These issues are not from the 9/10-speed AT itself per se, but the software programming issues as a whole.

Of course another reason why many car manufactures who are after the CVT is the cost in addition to fuel efficiency. The design is simpler and cheaper to make on CVT than those 10-speed conventional AT! (whistle)

No, 2017 Honda CR-V has the best CVT you can find on the market. Many people can't tell they're driving with a CVT on the 2017 CR-V!

I've said several times here I don't pay attention to the CVT because quite honestly it's not something I notice, so yes it is true. What's also funny is the obsession with conventional transmissions here. A RAV4 comes with a 6 speed auto, does that somehow make it enjoyable to drive? My moms 2008 Saturn Vue also comes with a 6 speed automatic, soooooo impressive right? If they're going to try and start marketing themselves as a 'premium' brand, a few more gears from that transmission might help them as the rest of the world has moved onto 8/10 speed automatics.

In the UK we get a 9 speed ZF auto in the CRV, I don't know why Honda would fit a CVT in the US. Perhaps its cheaper.

I've said several times here I don't pay attention to the CVT because quite honestly it's not something I notice, so yes it is true. What's also funny is the obsession with conventional transmissions here. A RAV4 comes with a 6 speed auto, does that somehow make it enjoyable to drive? My moms 2008 Saturn Vue also comes with a 6 speed automatic, soooooo impressive right? If they're going to try and start marketing themselves as a 'premium' brand, a few more gears from that transmission might help them as the rest of the world has moved onto 8/10 speed automatics.

In the UK we get a 9 speed ZF auto in the CRV, I don't know why Honda would fit a CVT in the US. Perhaps its cheaper.
That's something I always wonder. Most countries are getting CVT on Honda CR-V for fuel efficiency and cheaper to make; but why a 9-speed AT on CR-V for UK?

Interesting, I didn't know Carplay/Android Auto gets installed in a transmission... oh wait, it doesn't.

I've said several times here I don't pay attention to the CVT because quite honestly it's not something I notice, so yes it is true.

Hey Mango loves his US spec CVT CRV!! The reason why folks everywhere...yes even Honda CVT owners too...give CVTs grief is because they've historically sucked in terms of driving experience. Honda just recently produced a manageable CVT but you can't get away from the droning. The droning one gear sound kills the experience for many. Ahhh but that's what the AA/CP is for..to drown out the droning so you don't notice it.

Hey Mango loves his US spec CVT CRV!! The reason why folks everywhere...yes even Honda CVT owners too...give CVTs grief is because they've historically sucked in terms of driving experience. Honda just recently produced a manageable CVT but you can't get away from the droning. The droning one gear sound kills the experience for many. Ahhh but that's what the AA/CP is for..to drown out the droning so you don't notice it.

When you have to use terms like "I don't notice it", "It's good....for a CVT" and the like, you know that it sucks. Nobody is excited over a CVT.

No droning in mine, sounds like you're confusing it with a Rogue. The CVT in the CRV has programmed 'shifts' so it feels just like every other automatic, all with increased fuel economy to boot. Iv'e heard the CVT in the Forester behaves the same way.

BTW speaking of transmissions, how that's trusty, reliable 6 speed auto on your CX-5?

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123814755-First-CX-5-Transmission-Has-Been-Replaced
https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/sho...-My-CX-5-transmission-failed-and-was-replaced
https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/sho...-shifting-after-2015-transmission-replacement
https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123854272-2015-CX5-Transmission-Replacement
https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123854261-Full-Transmission-Replacement
https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/sho...se-having-Transmission-Issues-with-their-CX-5

Nuff said (lol2)

So does the UK Nissan Xtrail CVT it has 8.

No droning in mine, sounds like you're confusing it with a Rogue. The CVT in the CRV has programmed 'shifts' so it feels just like every other automatic, all with increased fuel economy to boot. Iv'e heard the CVT in the Forester behaves the same way.

BTW speaking of transmissions, how that's trusty, reliable 6 speed auto on your CX-5?

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123814755-First-CX-5-Transmission-Has-Been-Replaced
https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/sho...-My-CX-5-transmission-failed-and-was-replaced
https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/sho...-shifting-after-2015-transmission-replacement
https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123854272-2015-CX5-Transmission-Replacement
https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123854261-Full-Transmission-Replacement
https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/sho...se-having-Transmission-Issues-with-their-CX-5

Nuff said (lol2)

i think that you wish you would have gone with a Mazda instead of your CRV. That has to be the only reason why you're still here. You want us to feel miserable like you. I'm sure if you were given a choice between a crv and a 6 speed transmission you would have jumped at it. Back on topic, you should stay over in the Honda forums. Lol, I mean AA needs to hurry up and get here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back