Carplay and Android Auto coming soon? Crossing fingers...

Status
Not open for further replies.
We may be the most vocal haters here but Mango, everyone gives you a hard time.
This thread needs to be closed. It has far outlived its purpose. 10% legit questions. 30% Mango beating a dead horse. 40% Mango bashing. 20% discussion about AA and ACP.

We may be the most vocal haters here but Mango, everyone gives you a hard time.
This thread needs to be closed. It has far outlived its purpose. 10% legit questions. 30% Mango beating a dead horse. 40% Mango bashing. 20% discussion about AA and ACP.

No one else is giving me a 'hard time' here. And no the thread doesn't need to be closed because you 2 clowns cant control yourselves. A better idea would be to stop name dropping me every chance you get, and stay out of this thread. You've both already stated your opinion on why do don't like/need this feature, so why are you still in here? Move along. And do me a favor and put me back on that on that ignore list, at least is lessens the chances of getting attacked by both of you.

Have a nice day:)

You don't have anything to contribute to this thread either, so why don't you take your own advice and then us 3 clowns can be gone from this thread. :)

Usual Suspects at it again (deadhorse). Obviously there is a fundamental disagreement (group). Fact is aa/carplay still hasn't arrived and it doesn't seem to have been hurting Mazda sales. I'm active on the CX-5 club fb page and I constantly see people popping in with their new or new to them CX-5. Makes me wonder if the people who are most concerned with this stuff are the current owners who just want something new or updated. In my opinion, foregoing licensing/royalty fees, tech support, and whatever $$$ strings from those two gimmicks and investing in the new hardware such as HCCI supercharged (powerful engines) is an excellent trade off. I mean, the driver who cares so much about aa/carplay and other whack gimmicks most likely has less interest in the actual performance of a vehicle. Just watch any Chevy advertisement for proof...

Last edited:
Usual Suspects at it again (deadhorse). Obviously there is a fundamental disagreement (group). Fact is aa/carplay still hasn't arrived and it doesn't seem to have been hurting Mazda sales. In my opinion, foregoing licensing/royalty fees, tech support, and whatever $$$ strings from those two gimmicks and investing in the new hardware such as HCCI supercharged (powerful engines) is an excellent trade off. I mean, the driver who cares so much about aa/carplay and other whack gimmicks most likely has less interest in the actual performance of a vehicle. Just watch any Chevy advertisement for proof...

Well stated and nothing more really needs to be said. (drinks)

Meh. I was just trying to have a little fun with my evil Mango imitation. [emoji3]

You don't have anything to contribute to this thread either, so why don't you take your own advice and then us 3 clowns can be gone from this thread. :)

Actually I use it everyday and know the ins and outs of it, so yes I do have a lot to contribute. In fact I would say more so than anyone else. You on other hand don't and have no interest in it, but keep posting about it for some strange reason. That and looking up my post count at other forums on the internet. A little creepy IMO...

Usual Suspects at it again (deadhorse). Obviously there is a fundamental disagreement (group). Fact is aa/carplay still hasn't arrived and it doesn't seem to have been hurting Mazda sales. I'm active on the CX-5 club fb page and I constantly see people popping in with their new or new to them CX-5. Makes me wonder if the people who are most concerned with this stuff are the current owners who just want something new or updated. In my opinion, foregoing licensing/royalty fees, tech support, and whatever $$$ strings from those two gimmicks and investing in the new hardware such as HCCI supercharged (powerful engines) is an excellent trade off. I mean, the driver who cares so much about aa/carplay and other whack gimmicks most likely has less interest in the actual performance of a vehicle. Just watch any Chevy advertisement for proof...

I don't think it has anything to do with the reasons you gave(royalties, tech support etc...) because you see smaller companies like Mitsubishi implementing it in their vehicles. I believe Mazda just doesn't want Apple/Google tech in their vehicles for whatever reason.

I don't think it has anything to do with the reasons you gave(royalties, tech support etc...) because you see smaller companies like Mitsubishi implementing it in their vehicles. I believe Mazda just doesn't want Apple/Google tech in their vehicles for whatever reason.
ishitsubi is by no means a small company. It's an industrial giant. Many manufacturers use Mitsu components/electronics in their vehicles. i.e our Mazda key fobs, our ECUS (some Denso), radar blind spot etc. Oh and don't forget stock in apple product components

ishitsubi is by no means a small company. It's an industrial giant. Many manufacturers use Mitsu components/electronics in their vehicles. i.e our Mazda key fobs, our ECUS (some Denso), radar blind spot etc. Oh and don't forget stock in apple product components

That not how most multi-national conglomerates work. Yes, the Mitsubishi group is a huge company but the automotive group and the electronics group will be will be set up as independent entities. That way, one company is not a drag on another.

Lol Mango, it makes a point.

Lol, k. This thread is about when it's coming to Mazda, not how to use it, so no you don't. Nice try. On that front you have no more data then anyone else.

Last edited:
If the likes of Alpine, Kenwood, Pioneer, Clarion, etc. can offer aftermarket head units for under $500 that feature CP/AA and sell in much lower volumes than cars with CP/AA, then surely cost is not the obstacle. Licensing cost is minimal. CarPlay is part of Apple's MFi licensing program which costs $4 per device (i.e. $4 a head unit).

None of the automakers want to support CP/AA because it's disruptive to their business model of charging extra for navigation and infotainment. That stuff is pure profit to them. Further, they don't want their infotainment system to look just like everyone else's. But most manufacturers have acquiesced to customer demand. Toyota is the only remaining holdout I can think of among the major manufacturers.

When I read that statement a couple months ago saying "we may add CP/AA in the future when we feel they meet our company philosophy", I took that to mean they think their infotainment system is somehow unique or better or "premium" and differentiates their cars from other offerings in the segment. I had to LOL considering Mazda's system is pretty much a direct rip-off of BMW iDrive, and the user interface feels like a relic of the 20th century. I'll cut BMW a break since iDrive came out way back in 2001, before Apple showed the world what a touch screen interface can do. BMW has also improved it in recent years by adding proper touch screen support, moving from menus to tiles, and adding CP/AA support. So now it's not half bad. And Audi has finally decided to ditch the MMI knob. On the other hand, Mazda has resisted allowing any touch screen input while driving, which previously you could get around with a hack, but now they've moved the screen up and away from the driver. They're doubling down on a bad interface design that's a decade+ out of date while everyone else moves on.

The only system I've tried that's worse is Lexus' touch pad controlling a mouse cursor system, which is downright dangerous. The sooner that the likes of Apple and Google can wrest control of infotainment out of the ignorant and incompetent hands of Toyota and Mazda, the better IMO.

Just about everyone I know buys the car for the car itself....don't know anyone buying it or removing it from list due to Carplay. I mean the largest car maker in the world Toyota...do they have it? Cool feature though. Enough to detract mass buyers? Eh some I guess.

Just about everyone I know buys the car for the car itself....don't know anyone buying it or removing it from list due to Carplay. I mean the largest car maker in the world Toyota...do they have it? Cool feature though. Enough to detract mass buyers? Eh some I guess.

Agreed. While I think the argument can be made that Mazda is a smaller company and therefore detractors would effect them more, I am just not seeing data to support that assessment. They seem to be selling just fine.

Agreed. While I think the argument can be made that Mazda is a smaller company and therefore detractors would effect them more, I am just not seeing data to support that assessment. They seem to be selling just fine.

Paging the Mazda 6 department for a sales update!

If the likes of Alpine, Kenwood, Pioneer, Clarion, etc. can offer aftermarket head units for under $500 that feature CP/AA and sell in much lower volumes than cars with CP/AA, then surely cost is not the obstacle. Licensing cost is minimal. CarPlay is part of Apple's MFi licensing program which costs $4 per device (i.e. $4 a head unit).

When I test drove a Honda Accord Hybrid, and couldn't fit in the EX-L I started looking at the base hybrid model. Two things it was missing were navigation and AA/Car Play. So, I went to Crutchfield to see if I could replace it and discovered that, in fact, I couldn't. However, in my 2015 CX-5 I could for roughly $500 and it's pretty easily self-installed. In a 2017 CX-5, probably because of the knob, I can't.

None of the automakers want to support CP/AA because it's disruptive to their business model of charging extra for navigation and infotainment. That stuff is pure profit to them. Further, they don't want their infotainment system to look just like everyone else's.

This is the problem. They've been selling overpriced navigation systems for so long that they're afraid of losing the revenue. Some of these are integrated into the car's functions but I almost wonder why we couldn't just get an empty dashboard and drop our own tablets in place of the car's entertainment system.

The sooner that the likes of Apple and Google can wrest control of infotainment out of the ignorant and incompetent hands of Toyota and Mazda, the better IMO.

This is really the issue. It's not that AA/Car Play is magic, it's just better than the alternatives.

When I test drove a Honda Accord Hybrid, and couldn't fit in the EX-L I started looking at the base hybrid model. Two things it was missing were navigation and AA/Car Play. So, I went to Crutchfield to see if I could replace it and discovered that, in fact, I couldn't. However, in my 2015 CX-5 I could for roughly $500 and it's pretty easily self-installed. In a 2017 CX-5, probably because of the knob, I can't.

This is the problem. They've been selling overpriced navigation systems for so long that they're afraid of losing the revenue. Some of these are integrated into the car's functions but I almost wonder why we couldn't just get an empty dashboard and drop our own tablets in place of the car's entertainment system.

This is really the issue. It's not that AA/Car Play is magic, it's just better than the alternatives.

Fortunately an aftermarket unit with AA/Car play is better than any Japanese stock unit. Better in quality, sound, and in looks. Should also provide better sound quality too. Would not mind the ones that fold and hide. Not sure what the latest updates are but there should be a way to connect to the commander knob. The steering wheel controls are easy for shops to do.

Paging the Mazda 6 department for a sales update!

Seriously. Wouldn't surprise me if they pulled the 6 from the states. The new Camry is really really good and offers everything(except CarPlay/AA) than an enthusiast might want. New Accord has a new turbocharged engine and 10 speed automatic.

Also don't know about the world market, but Mazda's market share in the states has been at under 2% since 1992. They also have one of the lowest customer retention rates in the industry. Note to Mazda: Refusing to offer CarPlay/AA in your vehicles will not help your retention rate.

Holy s*** y'all. I've been away from the forum for 2 months and this SAME debate is going on?

SMDH.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back