Car insurance higher

madar

Contributor
:
2016.5 CX 5 Touring AWD, 2015 SCION XB
Well, just got my car insurance renewal notice and it's $150 higher than last year, which was $100 more than the year before per six month period. Bad thing about it is when I go to other companies like Progressive or Geico for a quote it's about the same or a bit higher when I plug in the same coverage I have. They always come out quoting minimum coverage the first time around. No accidents, claims or traffic incidents in the last 5 years. Inflation is a b****!

Well, just got my car insurance renewal notice and it's $150 higher than last year, which was $100 more than the year before per six month period. Bad thing about it is when I go to other companies like Progressive or Geico for a quote it's about the same or a bit higher when I plug in the same coverage I have. They always come out quoting minimum coverage the first time around. No accidents, claims or traffic incidents in the last 5 years. Inflation is a b****!
Yes, all insurances are going up like crazy nowadays! My yearly auto insurance premium now is over $2,000 that’s with $1,000 deductible comprehensive on 2 newer cars and liability-only on 2 old cars! Homeowner insurance is worse. Although my premium is $2,700 per year paid last April, but my agent has warned me the premium will be over $4,500 per year next April! That’s of course having no claims in past 5 years!

The price on Mazda OEM parts has also been skyrocketed after the pandemic. Just a couple of days ago I went to my Mazda dealer for a driver side rear outer LED tail light assembly on our CX-5 as wife accidentally hit a wooden fence and broke the lens while backing out in a hurry. It cost me $536.46 (MSRP) before tax! Heck even the Costco can’t keep the rising prices in the bay. I just paid $119.99 before tax on an Interstate Group 35 battery for my 2018 Toyota Yaris iA and that comes with a worse 36-month pro-rated warranty instead of 36-month replacement / 60-month pro-rated warranty and $78.89 price in 2020!

Go to the grocery stores or restaurants we see the price doubled or even tripled!

Yes the inflation is the worst I’ve ever seen, even worse than energy crisis in 1970s!

Mine went up $20/month on my last renewal! It's been doing this like every year since 2018 (of varying amounts). I've exhausted any tricks to lower it at this stage with $1000 deductibles and other crap. I've shopped the other guys and it's the same story. Just sucks to live in Denver as a 30's male I guess.

Honestly the way everything has been going, I'm wondering what the breaking point will be for a lot of people. Food, energy, housing, transportation, insurance, medical - literally everything is going through the roof.

My auto policy renews every six months and back in August it went up $50/month. I called to inquire and got the "it has nothing to do with your clean driving record but claims are up across the board so all members must offset the cost". So how does insurance help me? I keep a clean driving record, no at-fault accident claims or moving violations and my premium goes up. I hate to think how much they will raise it should I need to make a claim or have a moving violation. Either way, I am screwed as are most others out there. The system is broken.

However my flood insurance did go down ~$100 a year. I thought it odd but prepared to celebrate my small victory until I noticed that they raised my deductible from $1250 to $2000. I called and was told that because I am in a newly mapped flood zone (since 2014) that I should have never been given the option of the $1250 deductible. The good news, if I have no claims in the next eight years, I break even. hahahahahaha

Food, energy, housing, transportation, insurance, medical - literally everything is going through the roof.
Speaking about the energy, the utility expenses are up through the roof too. My electricity bill in July was $480 for a 2,650 sq ft single family home! Granted this summer in Dallas area was hot; but the highest electricity bill we’d ever paid was $230 that was last year!

The water bill from the city is getting much higher too with our sprinkler system watering the lawn. We paid $190 in July that’s the highest ever too. It used to be just over $100 in heavy-watering month in July!

Just learned our SSI check will have 3.2% increase next year for cost-of-living adjustment. That’s way off from our real-world experience!

*knock on wood* Our utilities have been ok. We had a new central a/c system installed a year ago and added a heat pump to the system. We have already seen a return on savings there as we did not need to use the electric baseboard once last winter. We are on the budget plan and this time last year it was $222, it is now $181 (was down to $172 over the summer) but our anniversary is next month so they raised it trying to get the balance to $0.

We did get the bombshell over the summer of a new "stormwater management FEE*" starting in Jan 2024. It will be an avg of $20 per household and added to our quarterly sewer/garbage bills. My wife was asked to be on the committee (because of our history of flooding) and we attended one of the meetings last month to see their very pretty slide show. *scoffs* We left during Q&A as the engineers were talking around questions.

In a nutshell, the township has known about the M4S Federal Mandate for around 10 years but never did anything about it. Now that they are at the point of being fined 100s of 1000s of dollars by the Feds, they figure they better implement something.

Their proposal of the $20/month avg is based on sf of impervious property, i.e.: your roof, driveway, shed, porch, rock landscape(?), etc.. At one of her committee meetings, she inquired about the landscape and was told that rock was considered impervious as the stormwater can not soak into the ground. Um, it is rock, the water will flow through the cracks/crevices. I intend on fighting this if needed as we replaced the ~$500 of rubber mulch that was washed away in a flood with large river rock.

Based on the above, commercial properties will pay a higher monthly fee. The biggest warehouse in our township is estimated to pay $14,000/mo, malls/strip malls would be around $300/mo and fast food restaurants around $140/mo. When asked why ours is so high at $20/mo as neighboring townships are $6.75/mo to $12.00/mo, we were told it is because they waited so long to do anything and they estimate to need 5 million dollars in the first 5yrs to get a good foot hold on things. Several neighborhoods in our township have no storm drain systems at all, the water just runs down the street, eventually puddling/flooding low spots.

My wife was pissed when we got the letter in the mail, that was sent to all residents. It gave a very brief overview of the $20 fee and said that it was voted on by the committee members which were made up of the residents peers. She said they never voted on anything as they were told that the engineers came up with the $20 fee at the first meeting.

*FEE The main basis of their slideshow was that this is a FEE and not a TAX. Since it is a FEE, more of the burden is placed on the commercial properties who have a larger sf area of impervious property and churches and schools would NOT be exempt. Two things wrong with this. The first, at one of the meetings, a school district official commented how they do not have this in the budget and would simply raise school taxes. Now the homeowner is paying for their household and the schools. The second, a few weeks prior to our meeting it was announced on the local news that West Chester University filed an appeal in regards to the same FEES in their city. The Supreme Court of the Commonwealth of PA ruled that this is not a FEE but a TAX and that the University was exempt. So now the precedent has been set statewide for other schools and churches to appeal, placing a large percentage of burden on the homeowners.

To top it all off, the letter announced that the first resident meeting to go over the proposal and answer questions was September 7th. It was 'leaked' on Facebook that the Board approved the policy at the monthly meeting on September 5th, citing that no residents were in attendance to vote against.

Thanks for letting me vent, I will now step down from my soap box.

Speaking about the energy, the utility expenses are up through the roof too. My electricity bill in July was $480 for a 2,650 sq ft single family home! Granted this summer in Dallas area was hot; but the highest electricity bill we’d ever paid was $230 that was last year!

The water bill from the city is getting much higher too with our sprinkler system watering the lawn. We paid $190 in July that’s the highest ever too. It used to be just over $100 in heavy-watering month in July!

Just learned our SSI check will have 3.2% increase next year for cost-of-living adjustment. That’s way off from our real-world experience!
The power company here is charging 12 cents per kilowatt. Fortunately, in this state we have the option of shopping around for power and I was lucky enough to lock in a 8.8 cents per kilowatt rate for the next 12 months. Much better than the 14 cents I was paying last year.

Y'all don't shop around? Forget being loyal to these bastards. I've switched insurance carriers every year for the past 3.
Had Progressive 3 years ago. Had them for over 10 years. Zero complaints. Price went up significantly 3 years ago..pre-all-the-bulls***-inflation. Called, asked why: "Oh we raised rates for everyone in Ohio this year"!
Left them and paid even less with Cincinnati Insurance. Both home and auto because Hippo's home insurance went up almost $500 for the year. Actually called Cincy about getting some help with something and the customer service was SO bad. So we left them this year, saved another couple $100 on home while my Auto went up $50 for a net savings with AllState.
Home owners insurance on a half million dollar 3300 sq ft home: $1200 annually.
Shop around.

The insurance on my '21 Ford Ranger went up ~$50/yr, to $600. I don't think that's too bad. The car we replaced the CX-5 with, a Tesla Model Y Long Range, went up ~$200/yr vs the CX-5, so $850/yr. That money is easily made up in gas savings. Only needing to charge at home, it comes out to 2.7c/mile. Our insurance rate is based on our driving habits, which is less than 7,500 miles/yr on each vehicle. Actually, my Ranger only has 7k miles in the 2 1/2 years I've owned it. I've been with the same State Farm agent for 40 years.

The money is made up in saving from an EV? Seriously? Shop. A. Round.
Don't be loyal to an insurance company. They aren't loyal to you. I was with Progressive for 28byrars. I was a platinum member. Y'know what I got for that? Less hold time when I called im. Really?
Shop. Around.

The money is made up in saving from an EV? Seriously? Shop. A. Round.
Don't be loyal to an insurance company. They aren't loyal to you. I was with Progressive for 28byrars. I was a platinum member. Y'know what I got for that? Less hold time when I called im. Really?
Shop. Around.
I wasn't making an excuse for SF raising my rate, if that's what you were eluding to. It costs more to insure an EV, this is a fact. It was also $15k more expensive than our 2019 CX-5 was.

I did shop around several years ago when we moved. No one could come close to what State Farm offered with the same limits. Geico was almost 2x higher! Farmer's was the closest, but still higher. YMMV

Y'all don't shop around? Forget being loyal to these bastards. I've switched insurance carriers every year for the past 3.
Had Progressive 3 years ago. Had them for over 10 years. Zero complaints. Price went up significantly 3 years ago..pre-all-the-bulls***-inflation. Called, asked why: "Oh we raised rates for everyone in Ohio this year"!
Left them and paid even less with Cincinnati Insurance. Both home and auto because Hippo's home insurance went up almost $500 for the year. Actually called Cincy about getting some help with something and the customer service was SO bad. So we left them this year, saved another couple $100 on home while my Auto went up $50 for a net savings with AllState.
Shop around.
Yes I believe most of us are indeed have been shopping around including me! I even have an insurance agent doing the shopping for me. Your area must have a lot less severe weather happening hence your home and auto insurance are much lower.

I compare my home insurance between Dallas and San Jose, and Dallas home now is 3X higher! My home insurance in Dallas was under $1,000 per year 10 years ago, now is $2,700 this year and next year will be around $4,500! I have gone through at least 5 different insurance companies for all these years after the comparison! Auto insurance is similar.

As to my record high electricity bill yes we can choose different electricity provider in Texas. I switched Gexa from TXU in Sep. 2022 for a one-year contract but at the time the lowest rate for my average monthly usage around 500 kWh, ended up pretty high if my usage is over 2,000 kWh at 22.9¢/kWh from 15.4¢/kWh. Worse, I didn’t expect I’d use 2,034 kWh in July with the AC on. In the past 1,500 kWh is my average usage in July, and the highest bill I’ve ever paid in July was $200. And $470.27 / 2,034 kWh in July and $388.94 / 1,679 kWh in August this year (was in California to escape the hot temp in Texas in 2nd half of the Aug. the thermostat was set higher) are the highest utility bills I’ve ever paid in my life, and they’re doubled than my previous highs! 🤬

Shop around.
Oh but I do. And they are all the same out here. Equally screwing me.

It all started with these hail storms in 2018 where the insurance companies paid out something like $2.2B in claims, and ever since then they really started jacking the rates on everyone. More recently it seems to be around the huge population growth coming from various states not usually known for good driving, accidents going up, theft massively up, etc.

Yes, all insurances are going up like crazy nowadays! My yearly auto insurance premium now is over $2,000 that’s with $1,000 deductible comprehensive on 2 newer cars and liability-only on 2 old cars! Homeowner insurance is worse. Although my premium is $2,700 per year paid last April, but my agent has warned me the premium will be over $4,500 per year next April! That’s of course having no claims in past 5 years!

The price on Mazda OEM parts has also been skyrocketed after the pandemic. Just a couple of days ago I went to my Mazda dealer for a driver side rear outer LED tail light assembly on our CX-5 as wife accidentally hit a wooden fence and broke the lens while backing out in a hurry. It cost me $536.46 (MSRP) before tax! Heck even the Costco can’t keep the rising prices in the bay. I just paid $119.99 before tax on an Interstate Group 35 battery for my 2018 Toyota Yaris iA and that comes with a worse 36-month pro-rated warranty instead of 36-month replacement / 60-month pro-rated warranty and $78.89 price in 2020!

Go to the grocery stores or restaurants we see the price doubled or even tripled!

Yes the inflation is the worst I’ve ever seen, even worse than energy crisis in 1970s!
It's absolutely horrific and the delusional Fed thinks inflation is only at 3.7% . Bidenomics and alternate reality. Literally. It's absolutely insane that they have no connection with the real world and what real consumers are paying for everyday items.

Oh but I do. And they are all the same out here. Equally screwing me.
Not just you, they’re screwing everybody!

It all started with these hail storms in 2018 where the insurance companies paid out something like $2.2B in claims, and ever since then they really started jacking the rates on everyone.
The same in Dallas / North Texas area!

More recently it seems to be around the huge population growth coming from various states not usually known for good driving, accidents going up, theft massively up, etc.
It isn’t just happening in Colorado, it’s happening the worst in California; Texas isn’t too far behind!

Back