Calling all MS3 Owners with smoking Turbos...

I took my time reading most all posts on the issue of the smoking turbos!! I was interested on knowing if people that have changed to 5W40 noticed a positive outcome with the smoking issues?

Also, for those that are running with the PG K04's, have you had any issues with smoke out of the tailpipes? TXS

Has anyone with a smoking problem done this yet? It also reccomended by Cobb Tuning in one of their technical documents(got to page 3): http://www.accessecu.com/accessport/mazda/AP-MAZ-02/MS3-MS6 Service Bulletin v1.02.pdf

I'm still sitting on my brand new TurboXS DP and this kindof makes feel better about going thru with the install, but I'd still like to hear if anyone's got any experience here....
That was pretty darn good info. i read the whole thing anyways and learned a couple somethings. Thanks.

Couldn't you just quote the relevant text instead of requiring us to look at a 2.85MB PDF to figure out what you're asking?

I presume you're referring to the catch can setup? Several people have here with positive results.

I thought about that after I posted.... But then figured you all are smart enough to figure it out based off the post I quoted... Plus that document gives a how to on making the modification...maybe worth downloading and saving for some folks....

hey guys so its been about more than a week since my Dp was installed, and havent had a problem with the smoke for a couple a days but just tonight it started when i was just sitting there idleing and it started smoking. i recorded it on my gfs camera so it came out pretty crappy but let me know what you guys think.

on thursday im going to try and change the oil to mobile 1 5w-40?
you think that would help? thanks

ha see thats the thing it wont smoke when im driving. only when my car is just sitting there. hmmm it only bothers me when its noticable which has only happend a few times but thanks for the help guys.

thanks good idea. you have any suggestions on where i can get a catch can?

DO NOT get a OCC with a filter on it....you WILL run much leaner...for example, with the filter on, I had LTFT of 20+ at idle...after taking it off I am now around 5 at idle.

all turbos smoke bechause they have steel sealing rings and depend on the corked up exhaust to build back pressure aginst the oil pressure to balance out like me i put a tbe and got rid of the back pressure .but its a miute amount mine smokes if you sit long enughf. im not worried about it if i undersand how they work they will leak on a good new turbo bechause their metal to metal sealing rings

thanks good idea. you have any suggestions on where i can get a catch can?

Further back up this very thread is a link to the Cobb site with a good article on catch cans. There are lots of them listed on the web sites of our sponsors, all different variations on the same basic design. They all work well.

If you want the Ferrari or Rolls Royce or other description of excellence in catch cans go here:

http://www.conceptualpolymer.com/new_page_1.htm

I may upgrade to one of these, even though it would be expensive. I think this site and the links to related technical papers appropriately addresses the filtration issues raised by an earlier post.

i guess ill just live with the smoke!! Every time i start the car in the mornings it spits out lillte dots of oil? i went to mazda to see if i could use 5w 40 oil and they said they didnt have it and wouldnt recommend it? so i said the hell with it

I haven't checked my production date but I have a smoking '09 Speed3. Only got ~14k miles and it started smoking a couple thousand miles ago. Gonna call several Mazda dealerships nearby and see if any of them are willing to fix for free even though I pretty much completely voided my warranty already :(.

Back