C&D: 2010 Mazdaspeed 3 vs. 2010 Volkswagen GTI - Comparison Tests

Holy CRAP! How could I have not realized that! The GTI is only a TWO-door verses the MS3 4-door! Thus, no comparison... at all.

I bought the MS3 as a mini-family hauler / utility vehicle. I have a baby-seat in the rear. A 2-door GTI would have never worked for me.

The way I see it, it makes no sense to compare an MS3 to a GTI. The MS3 is WAY more flexible from an ergonomics point of view, and is FASTER. Done, period, finished, end of story.

If anything, why don't we see comparisons of the MS3 verses the WRX? This would make more sense. At least the WRX is a 4-door and is a good performer with AWD. I know there have been such comparisons in the past, but I have not seen any yet for 2010. Though after checking both out first-hand, I preferred the MS3 anyway. But I wouldn't rule out a WRX if I needed to replace the MS3 for some reason.

The GTI is just a "different" type of car that will appeal to those with different desires and needs. It's not really a "hot" hatch, as well it's not even a 4-door. So, I'm sure it's just fine for those who are less interested in high performance and don't need to carry lots of stuff including infants etc.

I wanted a car that was inexpensive, FAST, could carry lots of stuff and was generally very flexible... and I got one.... the 2010 MS3. Perhaps it's not a "better" car than a GTI, but it's just "different" type of car. Why they are being compared I have no idea. VW marketing is really stretching things here, trying to muscle in on MS3 territory... sorry VW, no comparison.

You said it best... But I like to think the comparo as something more towards the difference between a Glock and a single stack 1911 (the essence is rounds before reload). But still, with this Glock (MS3) I'm shooting .45 ACP, while the 1911 (GTI) only has 9mm chambered. I prefer the Glock. Wouldn't you?

Holy CRAP! How could I have not realized that! The GTI is only a TWO-door verses the MS3 4-door! Thus, no comparison... at all.

I bought the MS3 as a mini-family hauler / utility vehicle. I have a baby-seat in the rear. A 2-door GTI would have never worked for me.

The way I see it, it makes no sense to compare an MS3 to a GTI. The MS3 is WAY more flexible from an ergonomics point of view, and is FASTER. Done, period, finished, end of story.

If anything, why don't we see comparisons of the MS3 verses the WRX? This would make more sense. At least the WRX is a 4-door and is a good performer with AWD. I know there have been such comparisons in the past, but I have not seen any yet for 2010. Though after checking both out first-hand, I preferred the MS3 anyway. But I wouldn't rule out a WRX if I needed to replace the MS3 for some reason.

The GTI is just a "different" type of car that will appeal to those with different desires and needs. It's not really a "hot" hatch, as well it's not even a 4-door. So, I'm sure it's just fine for those who are less interested in high performance and don't need to carry lots of stuff including infants etc.

I wanted a car that was inexpensive, FAST, could carry lots of stuff and was generally very flexible... and I got one.... the 2010 MS3. Perhaps it's not a "better" car than a GTI, but it's just "different" type of car. Why they are being compared I have no idea. VW marketing is really stretching things here, trying to muscle in on MS3 territory... sorry VW, no comparison.

Sorry but these cars are comparable. And yes, the GTI is a hot hatch. It's just more balanced than the MS3, which means some people will perceive it as less of a performance car. I drove it and it felt more connected to the road than the MS3. The GTI is also dynoing 201WHP, whereas the MS3 is dynoing 230-240WHP, so there is a power difference for sure, but not a huge one.

You may be in love with your MS3, that's fine. But everyone has different tastes. For me, it's GTI all the way.

Comparing new model for new model, I would take the GTI hands down any day of the week. And that's not just because I have a Passat. The new generation of 3's are ugly as hell in my opinion. Stack the new GTI up against the previous MS3 and it would be a much tougher decision for me.

Seconded. If I were buying now, the GTI would be an easy choice. But I was buying back in June, when Speed3's were beautiful and GTI's were fugly. Funny the difference a few months makes?

I'm not hung up on the HP difference either. The biggest deciding factor for me would be price. Adding a few options can put the GTI into low-mileage BMW territory real quick.

I have driven the gti and compared to my 08.5 ms3 its just to civilized. mabey when im 40 years old and get arthritis from the torque steer i will want to drive a gti dsg. then i could take a nap when im racing. vw's are over rated and have been for a long time.

lol

Remember, just chipping a GTi to get it in the same HP range as the MS3 will give it the same torque-steer 'bug-a-boos' as the MS3. And the GTi doesn't have a LSD or any of the other things Mazda engineered into the MS3 to help it deal with the high HP. There's a reason VW stopped at 200hp. That's why when the the new VW 'R' version comes out it will be 270 hp but with AWD like previous R's.
And the MS3 is not dynoing at 230hp or so. I don't know where people are getting these numbers. It's true the GTi is underrated a little bit. It usually dyno's at between 201-206hp. However all the dyno's I've seen for the stock MS3 have been pretty close to the stock claimed figure of 263hp. Give or take 3 or 4 hp. The lowest stock one I have seen so far is 256HP. If your only getting 230 or 235hp out of your stock 2010 MS3 something is def wrong with your car.

Remember, just chipping a GTi to get it in the same HP range as the MS3 will give it the same torque-steer 'bug-a-boos' as the MS3. And the GTi doesn't have a LSD or any of the other things Mazda engineered into the MS3 to help it deal with the high HP. There's a reason VW stopped at 200hp. That's why when the the new VW 'R' version comes out it will be 270 hp but with AWD like previous R's.
And the MS3 is not dynoing at 230hp or so. I don't know where people are getting these numbers. It's true the GTi is underrated a little bit. It usually dyno's at between 201-206hp. However all the dyno's I've seen for the stock MS3 have been pretty close to the stock claimed figure of 263hp. Give or take 3 or 4 hp. The lowest stock one I have seen so far is 256HP. If your only getting 230 or 235hp out of your stock 2010 MS3 something is def wrong with your car.

Everyone I know is getting around 230-240WHP on a stock MS3. Maybe it has something to do with dynojet vs other dynos?

Different dynos make different numbers, not to mention the thousand other reasons dyno numbers are different. Mine did in the low 260s each of the 3 pulls i did at UTI on their dyno, stock.

Dyno numbers mean more when you mod. Like instead of saying you got 240 whp on an ms3 with a cai, its better to say your car went from 225 whp to 240 whp after your base pull then adding the cai

Compare both

Fuel trims are factored into the tuning - it would only be for stock when going to the dealer (to keep the warranty), and valet when valeting the car. I'll almost never change the modes anyway.

Also, I have driven both cars, so I do have a good sense of how they both drive. I was able to wring out the ms3 actually, I have a friend who works at a Mazda dealership.

Basically, for the 3k extra I would be paying for the GTI (28k including the tune) the main things I would be getting are:

- better interior
- better navigation
- better controls (gearbox/steering wheel/pedals, from my own opinion)
- better mpg
- hid's

Since i got both cars i can compare it
Jetta mk4 / new speed3

Both have their pros n cons

But here i made my preference

Veedubs for me now are fpr girls if you want a car n corrones get MS3, its amazing car for the money peiod

As of now, I feel that it's worth it - I'm only giving up a mechanical diff and fully defeatable traction control.

Jetta mk4 / new speed3

Veedubs for me now are for girls if you want a car with corrones get MS3, its amazing car for the money period

+1 on Speed3 over VW. I've owned 2 MK3 Jetta GLX's, 1 MK5 Golf, 1 MK4 Jetta, 1 New Beetle, 1 B5 Passat, and Eurovan. I will say though Jetta was safe in an accident, but all of them had very poor reliability. One of the worst experience was when my MK4 Jetta hit a protruding pothole and sheared the tranny mount off and damaged the tranny case. I believe VW still use this design sadly. I've made the switch to Mazda (currently own Mazda 5 and Speed3) and never looked back.
Jetta mk4 / new speed3

Veedubs for me now are for girls if you want a car with corrones get MS3, its amazing car for the money period

Back