Brake lights out...

typukatch

:
2000 Mazda 626 ES V6
So my three back brake lights are not working...

I've run a series of 12v test light tests, and I do not get power to the brake light sockets (but power does flow to turn and tail lights, etc), but I DO get power all the way to the red and blue wires on the brake light switch itself.

I have also recently replaced the brake light switch (to no avail), so I don't know if this is it.

Do I need to press the brake down and test a different wire?

As an aside, while we are getting power to the brake light switch, I noticed that one of the two "stop light" fuses are NOT getting power (the one under the hood [the one under the dash inside the car DOES get power]). I have, of course, replaced it with a new one, to no avail. Would this have anything to do with it?

It's the red one to the top right.

fuses.jpg

I have also been advised to check for a bad ground. It is not easy for me to check this because I only have a test light (which won't stretch to the positive terminal of the battery) and I don't have a voltmeter or spare battery nearby. Is there another way to test for ground?

Although I don't know if it would be the ground... all my wiring looks pretty new and intact. Also, if it were the ground, wouldn't the other back lights be affected too (tail, reverse, turn), since they use they presumably use the same ground wire?

A guy on JustAnswer thinks it could be the noise filter... where do I find this?

Lastly, my battery light IS on (varies in luminosity depending on acceleration), but my alternator was replaced about a month ago (with a used one w/ about 100k miles). Everything charges fine (and I don't have any loss of power to my lights, dash, etc), though. My car is already a bit older at 230k miles. Don't know if this would have anything to do with it.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Ty

I have a similar issue. I'm waiting on the brake light switch I ordered to arrive. Hopefully, that solves my brake light problem.

Got a code reader? The PCM may be throwing a code that might help you figure out whats wrong. Outside that, take it to an auto electrician.

Brake light switch didn't solve my issue. Changed out the fuses, even though they didn't appear to be blown. Not sure where to go from here. Did you have any luck Ty?

Took my car to an auto electrician. In my case, there is a junction box between the brake light switch and the lights. I had a wire that wasn't connecting properly. The electrician said the junction box might need replacement if his work to connect the wire doesn't work. It's working so far. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Back