Bolt Up Replacement Turbocharger Upgrade

wow thanks for the post up of this and i have a cobb ap and i have been boosting 20.3 psi and the car feels strong and runs good. i hope it holds because i dont want to buy a new motor

im starting to get annoyed with it as well. i know why they dont.. but i agree its time to let it go!!!! its the internet, and its practically posted right above me anyways..everyone knows what that site is and most people are members on all 3 sites... the fued was 2 years ago.. end (rant).. well back to topic..ive had a chance to read everything over there and im pretty impressed, and may consider going this route if it wasent so expensive..i think that if the price came down a good 250-350 dollars.. it would become more competitve with other companies and ud see more business.

You get what you pay for. You buy a $600 hybrid still using a K04 CHRA, you will be buying another or replacing it in a short amount of time. Then you are out everything b/c your foundation is as stong as the turbos weakest link. Which there is more than 1 weak link to the K04 unit. The shaft is 4.5mm, minimal bearing surface area on both the journals and thrust bearing.

The shaft is key for strength. Just as important is the bearing surface area... I can post pics comparing the 2 if you'd like...

Bryan@BNR
205 640 1193

You get what you pay for. You buy a $600 hybrid still using a K04 CHRA, you will be buying another or replacing it in a short amount of time. Then you are out everything b/c your foundation is as stong as the turbos weakest link. Which there is more than 1 weak link to the K04 unit. The shaft is 4.5mm, minimal bearing surface area on both the journals and thrust bearing.

The shaft is key for strength. Just as important is the bearing surface area... I can post pics comparing the 2 if you'd like...

Bryan@BNR
205 640 1193
Please do....

here are some pics!

The pics of the bearings on the left. You don't notice the oil feed hole in the K04 bearing but it is .040" and the contact area for the thrust collar to bearing is .0850".

The feed hole for the thrust in the GT28 is .0825" and the bearing/collar contact is .1250" all the way around. These holes are located in the center of the bearing at the 12 o clock position.

Measurements: K04 BNR GT28

Compressor Inducer 45.1mm 47.21mm
Compressor Exducer 56.0mm 60.00mm
Turbine Inducer 50.00mm 52.80mm
Turbine Exducer 44.47mm 46.82mm
Shaft journal dimension 6.96mm 9.15mm
Shaft end (most important!) 4.56mm 5.97mm

Attachments

• MS367bearings.JPG
    MS367bearings.JPG
    17.7 KB · Views: 313
  • MS367comppic.JPG
    MS367comppic.JPG
    26.7 KB · Views: 309
  • MS367shaftpic1.JPG
    MS367shaftpic1.JPG
    23.8 KB · Views: 304
Last edited:
Pictures of the 100% bolt up stage 1 upgrade.

Attachments

• MS367pic8.JPG
    MS367pic8.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 286
  • MS367pic3.JPG
    MS367pic3.JPG
    37.1 KB · Views: 299
Last edited:
Pics of the BNR GT28 CHRA's on the VSR balancing machine. Balanced to 140K RPM!

Attachments

• VSRpic2.JPG
    VSRpic2.JPG
    74.4 KB · Views: 242
  • VSRpic1.JPG
    VSRpic1.JPG
    81.8 KB · Views: 265
Last edited:
Here are a few pics of a turbo I did today. This is a Stage 2 with a stock diameter inlet.

I have in the works a weld on adapter to the compresssor outlet. This will make the stage 2 100% bolt up with no fabrication required. Stock intercooler pipe and couplers will be a direct fit.

Attachments

• M367stage2stockinletpic1.JPG
    M367stage2stockinletpic1.JPG
    38.6 KB · Views: 244
  • M367stage2stockinletpic2.JPG
    M367stage2stockinletpic2.JPG
    41.3 KB · Views: 227
  • M367stage2stockinletpic3.JPG
    M367stage2stockinletpic3.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 236
  • M367stage2stockinletpic4.JPG
    M367stage2stockinletpic4.JPG
    55.9 KB · Views: 231
Here are a few pics of a turbo I did today. This is a Stage 2 with a stock diameter inlet.

I have in the works a weld on adapter to the compresssor outlet. This will make the stage 2 100% bolt up with no fabrication required. Stock intercooler pipe and couplers will be a direct fit.

This is my turbo (alright)

This is a good looking project still. I think that everything needed to mechanically bolt on to; a stock top mounted intercooler, air intake location, and the manifolds would be great. looks like a much improved, over stock unit for sure. Size does matter.
BlackWidow, how is the car running?

Got a fuel pump issue , so i received my car yesterday so i didn't push the car yet but the engine seem to pull very hard . Dyno will fallow in a few weeks !

Mass recall

well its not a recall because not everybody has the issue and our car has two cats that will clean it up. many that do have an issue have modded their cars past factory warranty before they find out(DP/RP exhaust s***) so thats not mazdas fault, the best mazda can do is just do a warranty replacement if you take it into the dealer in stock trim and replicate the problem. mazda techs and corporate are not the sharpest tool in the shed IMO so dealing with them sucks.
sorry to resurect...

Interesting points here

lets say the car is stock, has a well controlled smoke problem that only manifests visually in extreme circumstances. And its stable, the journals are getting fed.

Down the road, has not Mazda caused a pollution problem?? this known to them issue will directly shorten cat life, correct??

I think this is the way to force a fix retro style, if they made a correction that fixes a known gen 1 problem, is emmisions related, well, come on they give a s*** about us individually, but a letter from the EPA would get their undivided attention.

from the states that test emmisions : anyone with a smoky problem fail the test ???

Last edited:
I think the biggest problem with trying to force a smoking turbo fix from Mazda is most of the vehicles smoking are not stock. You would be hard pressed to find a large enough sample of stock, smoking vehicles to consider a macro recall of turbos from gen 1 MS3's.

Back