Bolt Up Replacement Turbocharger Upgrade

ive never understood why starving a journal bearing to stop smoking is a solution. IMO that reduces the life of the turbo drastically since it needs oil not only for lubrication, but cooling as well. metal fatigue will eventually cause droop, misshapen turbine blades and eventually imbalance and big failure. sure it may work short term but in the long run its still a bandaid fix and could cause major issues a couple thousand miles down the road...not to mention that now that your choking off oil, oil pressure before the restrictor pill has now been increased, and that cant be good either

That makes so much sense. Reducing the oil pressure to a turbo sounds like a poor solution to get rid of the smoke, something that should not happen to begin with.

Its not bolt in Garrett replacement. I have these CHRA's custom built using a bearing housing that is custom made for me by Garrett. They can't sell it to anyone else. I had it custom made for other applications which is very similar to these K04 builds. The turbo end housings endure lots of change to accept what I am putting in them. But they are even better quality than when they came new :D.

I didn`t say yours was. I know nothing about your units. I don`t know where to find the "other thread" mentioned by another poster. I was merely pointing out to my fellow members that there may be other options.
The piece in question is designed so that (assuming your car is supported - a big question) the turbo is disassembled and both housings are put onto the replacement center section. The POS factory center section gets replaced with one that (hopefully) is better built and has a more aggressive turbine design.

I didn`t say yours was. I know nothing about your units. I don`t know where to find the "other thread" mentioned by another poster. I was merely pointing out to my fellow members that there may be other options.
The piece in question is designed so that (assuming your car is supported - a big question) the turbo is disassembled and both housings are put onto the replacement center section. The POS factory center section gets replaced with one that (hopefully) is better built and has a more aggressive turbine design.

yup. Thats the way it goes... There is extensive modification to both housings to make fit properly. The CHRA is an off the shelf part that has a 1 year warranty covered through Garrett. I have used these CHRA's with great luck for the past 6-7 years. If Mazda is going to cover the stock turbo under warranty, why not replace it with a better/more quality part?

I am getting my Mazda mail going out at the end of this month so maybe they will offer it to their customers...

Last edited:
When you restrict oil flow to a turbo that spins 220K RPM, that is very risky.

ive never understood why starving a journal bearing to stop smoking is a solution. IMO that reduces the life of the turbo drastically since it needs oil not only for lubrication, but cooling as well. metal fatigue will eventually cause droop, misshapen turbine blades and eventually imbalance and big failure. sure it may work short term but in the long run its still a bandaid fix and could cause major issues a couple thousand miles down the road...not to mention that now that your choking off oil, oil pressure before the restrictor pill has now been increased, and that cant be good either

Not to argue, just to discuss: I dont run one of these restrictors, nor did I make them. from what I understand the guy who does make them had a huge smoking problem with his car. he tried everything possible to stop it but had no success. He did his homework along with a bunch of testing and found that mazda runs the turbo at a higher oil pressure than what the turbo manufacturer actually recommends, so he did calculations when making his banjo bolt and found a restrictor size that makes the pressure in the turbo correct to manufacturer specs and stops the smoking. So, its not starving the journal bearing, and the turbo gets the cooling it needs. It's not a bandaid fix or anything thats risky at all.

You bring up a good point. I have lots of experience with restrictors with the RX7's. Since the turbocharger gets full engine oil pressure at all times, it needs a restriction to cut down the volume of oil when you bump up the oil pressure. FC rx7's they run about 60 psi oil pressure. They sometimes don't need the restriction. But what many people do is when they open the engines up, they replace the oil pressure regulator and the bypass springs to FD's which are well over 100 psi. Then they have to run a .060" restrictor. Anything more, they will smoke. Anything less, they burn up bearings quick and its time to buy a new turbo. Garrett suggests not to go below .085" on the orface on small shaft T4.

Comparing a K04 to a T4. Yes the bearings are smaller in the k04, but the journal bearing is a 2 in 1 journal bearing. That means the journal bearings aren't seperate like the T4's. That is more bearing surface area which needs additional lubrication. The thrust bearings in the K04's are 360 degrees, but the oil feed port for the bearing is .040" which is very small. You combine the restriction with 200K plus RPM, you are on the edge.

Funny thing about this is, with a total compressor seal, you don't need the restriction. But if you go with a dynamic seal, you have to run the restrictor. That right there tells you there is a distortion of flow by using the dynamic seal.

Last edited:
Not to argue, just to discuss: I dont run one of these restrictors, nor did I make them. from what I understand the guy who does make them had a huge smoking problem with his car. he tried everything possible to stop it but had no success. He did his homework along with a bunch of testing and found that mazda runs the turbo at a higher oil pressure than what the turbo manufacturer actually recommends, so he did calculations when making his banjo bolt and found a restrictor size that makes the pressure in the turbo correct to manufacturer specs and stops the smoking. So, its not starving the journal bearing, and the turbo gets the cooling it needs. It's not a bandaid fix or anything thats risky at all.

if the turbo is being pressurized beyond factory specs, then a huge lawsuit should be put in motion since this is a major issue that will effect all ms3/ms6 and possibly cx-7's and should be a recall. I find it hard to believe that mazda competely missed something that huge when designing these engines. no arguement, just a discussion

If you remember the MS miatas came with a dual ball bearing Garrett turbo in its first models. Garrett had bad reliability problems with the BB units. So Mazda dropped Garrett and went to KKK. Now problems with the KKK and now they are doing V6's instead of turbo 4's in the new models.

If you remember the MS miatas came with a dual ball bearing Garrett turbo in its first models. Garrett had bad reliability problems with the BB units. So Mazda dropped Garrett and went to KKK. Now problems with the KKK and now they are doing V6's instead of turbo 4's in the new models.

then why did they just release the 2010 MS3 with the same engine? its basically all carryover. If there were issues, the past 4 years would have shown that and mazda would move in another direction. not arguing but trying to understand. mazda could just be a bunch of ignorant assholes too

then why did they just release the 2010 MS3 with the same engine? its basically all carryover. If there were issues, the past 4 years would have shown that and mazda would move in another direction. not arguing but trying to understand. mazda could just be a bunch of ignorant assholes too

they've corrected.. or think they have the problems with the turbos.. the new 2010 MS3's have the latest revision of the K04... and the new PCV setup as well i believe.

they've corrected.. or think they have the problems with the turbos.. the new 2010 MS3's have the latest revision of the K04... and the new PCV setup as well i believe.

but then this should be a recall. if there is a factory defect and it is documented then by law they are required to remedy it, especially since it causes all sorts of smog issues in which case the epa would be all over it. but the rest of us are just supposed to sit here and wait for our turbos to go?

I just dont like the fact that i need to shell out a grand to remedy a problem that should be covered by warranty. especially since it has been documented and prevented in newer models

Last edited:
well its not a recall because not everybody has the issue and our car has two cats that will clean it up. many that do have an issue have modded their cars past factory warranty before they find out(DP/RP exhaust s***) so thats not mazdas fault, the best mazda can do is just do a warranty replacement if you take it into the dealer in stock trim and replicate the problem. mazda techs and corporate are not the sharpest tool in the shed IMO so dealing with them sucks.

well its not a recall because not everybody has the issue and our car has two cats that will clean it up. many that do have an issue have modded their cars past factory warranty before they find out(DP/RP exhaust s***) so thats not mazdas fault, the best mazda can do is just do a warranty replacement if you take it into the dealer in stock trim and replicate the problem. mazda techs and corporate are not the sharpest tool in the shed IMO so dealing with them sucks.

definetly right about not being the sharpest tools in the shed. quick question.

I get a puff of blue smoke at startup. now i know that its most likely caused by a crap tune i had on the car a few months back with afr's in the 9's at 20psi, and i get that nice catless smell on occasion when driving "spirited" so, since im not heavily modded can the blown cats and puff of smoke at idle be good grounds for a turbo replacement. I havnt thrown the cat inefficiency code, but that was defeated in cobb's latest revision so i dont think im gonna get it anyways...but the cats should at least be replaced right? and i could potentially argue that oil seeping through the seals ruined the cats...

im just hoping they pull the downpipe out and see oil seeping from the seals and i can get them both taken care of at once.

I little puff at startup isnt anything to worry about, but thats strange you smell the cattless smell occasionally. Running 9's for afr's can foul a cat but I dont think yours need replaced, it would have to be puffing smoke all the time and smell bad for it to be fouled and have mazda give you any help. Put your car to stock and let the dealer check it out maybe you will be lucky. Otherwise, get this turbo setup and do a review with pics hahahaha

Would you elaborate on stage 1? Is it just a seal replacement, or is it also an improved chra replacement?

Last edited:
Back