Bolt Up Replacement Turbocharger Upgrade

I will be on the dyno with the BNR stage 2 turbo next monday , for now the turbo pull very hard at only 15 psi .

292 AWHP and 311 AW torque at only 18 psi . I want to keep the boost at this level because i don't want to be in the BOOM club !

Last edited:
those are very nice numbers! please remember to give us details. a little more to chew on please. i would love to see the curves and maybe a little bit of tuning data. Not all the secrets of course!

From what I`ve learned so far, you can set the ECU to demand full power only at rpm ranges you select. If you ask for it only in the highest rpm range, you can set a higher boost level and save the engine from a beating at low rpm loads.

I think the biggest problem with trying to force a smoking turbo fix from Mazda is most of the vehicles smoking are not stock. You would be hard pressed to find a large enough sample of stock, smoking vehicles to consider a macro recall of turbos from gen 1 MS3's.

Wht about all the cx-7's ? not a big mod happy crew there

went to my dealership last week for some warranty work. he said he was seeing 1-4 cx7s per day with smoking turbos

From what I`ve learned so far, you can set the ECU to demand full power only at rpm ranges you select. If you ask for it only in the highest rpm range, you can set a higher boost level and save the engine from a beating at low rpm loads.
We have set my boost by rpms but did not get much driving done this fall. The clutch was feeling the strain of more boost and was actually slower in the quarter mile ( stock turbo, CPE managed) I look forward to playing and learning some more with it this spring before i go with a little bigger/better BB turbo too. My tuner son was bringing in the boost gradually till he asked for 21lbs at 5250 till 6200. I think that is just hot air at that point so we have much to do yet. Also i do not have the program loaded on my home computer so can not send any data maps out yet. Everything is on one of his laptops. But these dyno pull numbers are pretty big i think and something for us to shoot for. well done, but you know you gotta back it up mister! Keep us updated, please and enjoy the Mazda Speedemon, Black widow.
ps What dyno was the car on for those nice #s? thanks

Last edited:
merry chrismax to everyone. One question: what meens ''not enough backpressure to equilize crank case pressure''? I want to understant

merry chrismax to everyone. One question: what meens ''not enough backpressure to equilize crank case pressure''? I want to understant

Basically, when swapping out the stock downpipe for a less restrictive aftermarket piece, this causes lower pressure downstream of the turbo on the exhaust side. This becomes a problem because the stock pcv system does not provide adequate venting or an area with low enough pressure to vent to. This issue coupled with poor turbo seals causes the oil cooling and lubricating your turbo to take the path of least resistance and the oil bypasses the turbo seal and exits into the exhaust stream.

Very interesting about the smoking turbos and I have been reading these forums intently and with much anxiousness about my car. I have a 2009 and am also interested in finding out if they have the new PCV setup. With 19K miles on it, and TONS of spirited driving and autocrosses, i have yet to have any smoking. Only the unrelated, small puff of black smoke when stepping on the gas for the first time during an outing.

Does anyone know if the 2009s have that "PCV setup"? I also wonder how much of this can be effected by the type of oil that is used. I use Castrol Edge

Back