Blown engine & turbo

twiztedjeckel

:
'04 SVT Focus
on november 17th i started experiancing some techincal difficulties with my car. while out driving on my lunch break after a short while i noticed a "moooing" noise that started happening while accelerating. i'm figuring "s***,i've got a boost leak". that i can check out once i get home, not a real big deal.

so, upon deceleration i started hearing this metal on metal "chattering, clanking" noise. now i knew things were starting to get a little worse. noticing the noise only happened while taking my foot off the gas i figured it was the turbo. not good.

so i made a stop, got back in the car hoping it was just a fluke and that the noises i heard would go away:rolleyes: and got going again. things went from bad to worse in a hurry. once i got going again the car started bucking and jerking under acceleration and started stalling on me while driving. i had to keep my foot on the gas to keep the RPM's up so it wouldn't die on me. i decided to pull into a parking lot and see if there was anything i could see physically wrong with the car. upon entering the parking lot the car stalled on me again which was alot of fun seeing as the steering went out and sent me on a collision course towards another car. luckily quick thinking and not panicing allowed me to start the car and reef on the stearing wheel to avoid the buick i was about to trade paint with.

once i got the car parked and let it idle which it did surprisingly without stalling the car would just about die out then jerk back to life and the RPM's would come up again the engine was shaking violently. i was going to leave the severely ****** up car sitting in the parking lot and get a ride back to work but couldn't get ahold of anybody so i limped it back. called my dealership who said i shouldn't drive the car anymore and had me call mazda's roadside assistance who came with a flatbed and towed the car back to the dealership where i got the news on the 18th that they diagnosed the car with a blown engine and turbo.

apparently there was extra metal that was left on the block from the casting process that was never properly taken care of which caught in the AGR valve casusing it to stumble and buck. they also found oil in the top of the #3 cylinder. while further inspection was done they actually found damage to all the cylinders.

so 25 days and a bad free neon rental later i got my car back with a laundry list of new parts including the rear bushings that were ordered a week before this all took place.

below is the list of stuff replaced UNDER WARRENTY. the car is unmodded for the exception of a K+N cone filter

1 Turbine inlet gasket
1 Turbine outlet gasket
1 boost control assembly
1 turbo charger assembly
1 oil pipe gasket
1 MAF snsr-to-cmpsrin duct
1 oil pump
1 o-ring
1 gasket
1engine gasket set
1 cylinder head
8 exhaust valves
8 inlet valves
1 o-ring
1 hose clamp
1 oil filter
4 valvoline oil
13 different adjusting disc's
2 anti freeze
1 short block
1 head
1 turbo
total hours worked-19.1

obviously there's some duplicates in there but thats that way it came off on the print out

God Damn thats a lot. Props to mazda for taking care of it. Nonetheless it should never have happened. I'm sorry it had to be you that went through it. :(

better now then at 50,000 miles... you basically have a new engine, literally... so take it easy on it for a while...

congrats on geting it fixed (thumb)

instylz said:
Nonetheless it should never have happened

and this is the exact reason i've got a 2 paged typed complaint letter that i'm working on thats not yet finished that'll be on its way to mazda and the BBB and probably the attorney general.

RyanJayG said:
better now then at 50,000 miles... you basically have a new engine, literally... so take it easy on it for a while...

i forgot to mention. the car went in with 19,900 miles on it. i'm going through the normal breakin procedure even though they never mentioned anything about it. taking it easy on the car is a must anyway with the snow and ice thats been set it all around me.

Gosh I'm surprised it lasted almost 20k miles with that manufacturing flaw. Be glad it went sooner rather than later I guess. On the bright side, maybe this new engine will run better!

Its pretty sad when we start to give props to Mazda to fix a problem that they are already obligated to fix, no offense to your comment though instylz.

tell me this, twizted, have they prolonged your worranty because of this?
since most of the important parts in the power train have been replaced, they should have extended the worranty on them, if not the whole car.

Last edited:
twiztedjeckel said:
and this is the exact reason i've got a 2 paged typed complaint letter that i'm working on thats not yet finished that'll be on its way to mazda and the BBB and probably the attorney general.

i hate to say this, but what point is there in writing the BBB and attempting to send a letter to the AG?

Mazda took care of you- you had a car, albeit wasn't the best, but you got one nonetheless. Mazda paid for your engine. i can't imagine you had to pay anything.
You now have a new engine. Go and enjoy it rather than spending all this time writing letters to the BBB and AG. Afterall, all they will see is Mazda USA corrected the problem free and even gave you a rental car- also towed your car free.

What is there to b**** about?

Stop writing letters and enjoy the car!! :D

(thumb) ;)

WTF??

twiztedjeckel said:

I understand that you are upset, but I'm starting to think that you are overreacting. They fixed it, s*** happens. What's with some Americans. You are always trying to sue someone or get extra compensation for something. They fixed it, they even gave you a rental car while you were out. Get over it man.

Sorry to the Moderator of this thread. Move it to flamewars if it gets too hot. I just think that the quote was really ignorant.

(canada)

The reason he's writing is because they car should of never needed a new engine in the first place, and like most msp's its probably not the first problem he's had with it. Id be ******* pissed if I paid 20k for a car, for it to blow up on me in less than 20k miles. The msp is a problem filled car, and mazda doesn't really seem to give a s***.

yeah i thought that was dumb too. they fixed you car...what do you want, a mazda authorized chick to accompany you now and give you road head ?

pdhaudio said:
are you attempting to say that only americans do this... ?

don't start please.

No, Just making a statement about "Some Amricans"

Relax,

Free James Brown... Oops. He's out isn't he?(stopwar)

there are better ways to comment than make a statement like you did however. I don't think just americans are sue happy. although we do have an unproportional amount of them :D

MP3skaterNC said:
The reason he's writing is because they car should of never needed a new engine in the first place, and like most msp's its probably not the first problem he's had with it. Id be ******* pissed if I paid 20k for a car, for it to blow up on me in less than 20k miles. The msp is a problem filled car, and mazda doesn't really seem to give a s***.

Oh God Not Another One??(friday)

Back