Blizzard hitting Mid-Atlantic..CX5 is ready

Don't forget your Michelin Latitude X-Ice Xi2. I put those on my 2014 and they're excellent.

Here in Arizona I'm ready for the winter. Had to wear 2 layers of T-shirts and wipe the dust off my windshield.

Don't forget your Michelin Latitude X-Ice Xi2. I put those on my 2014 and they're excellent.

I have a little before I need tires but will have to keep them in mind. Here in Maryland, a great all season works.

Here in Arizona I'm ready for the winter. Had to wear 2 layers of T-shirts and wipe the dust off my windshield.

Hey, bit better than snow lol

I am just outside DC (Rockville, Montgomery County). We're forcasted for 24-30". That would definitely be the most snow I've ever seen, and I lived through the Blizzard of '96 and Snowmageddon 2010.

As for the CX-5: Got an oil change yesterday and full tank of gas. That said I will be staying put, inside, unless absolutely necessary. :) My snowblower is primed and ready to go, though. I'll probably blow once tomorrow morning, and again after the storm is done.

Flakes just started coming down here at 3:45. It's Howdy Dooty time.

Most of my family lives in Maryland, so I'll be eyeing this thread to see how bad things get. In fact I'll be visiting them next week so I'm hoping the snow is way less than predicted.

I'm here in Maryland! We have a couple inches right now, but it's gonna go all night and through to Saturday at noon. I'm itching to go out and see how my CX5 handles in this, but we've been advised to stay off the roads right now as the plows are out. Hopefully tomorrow I can give it a go!

Yeah coming down well here! I will be posting pics tomorrow, and hopefully everyone else can throw up some pics from their area affected. I'm sure come tomorrow, my cx5 won't even be visible lol. But I plan to shoot a video of me going up my parents relatively steep driveway. Curious to see how itll do. This is also my 7 month German shepherds first snow, so that'll be exciting!

Darn, I'm missing all the fun here. Last winter we had just one night of the unplowed roads, covered with 10" or so, and I had to drive through that. Nothing this year. At least not yet. So much fun missing. Could you guys send some of that stuff our way? Southern Ontario, Canada, thank you...
Last year I had a chance to drive both mine Tahoe and my wife's CX-5 in as much snow as I saw in 15 years here. Both vehicles had winter tires on. And I think CX-5 was more fun to drive, as you have to always watch the "honest" 4wd in Tahoe in turns. Even in Auto4WD...

The beginning... My dad's 16 Miata is all nestled up inside lol

25jkz7c.jpg

Last edited:
Just back. 45 min in NJ. Still snowing heavily. OEM Toyo tires 19". About 9" snow. Plough thru no issues. Had an incline climbed with no issues. Stop and climbed. No issues. CX5 did control traction. Used low gears. Then did a sharp turn again possible.

About 12" in Northern Delaware and still coming down. CX-5 is safely tucked in the garage and won't be going.

About 18" here. Just got in from snowblowing. Resting for this evening. Wouldn't even attempt to drive anywhere.

(rofl2)

Here in the bay-area, more rain than usual but so far, no floods I know of. The creek next to us was not even close to being high.
However, plenty of snow in the Sierra, after 4 years of below average or severely below average snow fall. In fact, this is the first winter with this car, after 2.5 years of ownership, where I was actually able to really drive on snow.

Last edited:
They increased our totals to 12 to 18" with blizzard warnings in effect. NOT liking this. Used to think it was fun.

Run #2. IMMENSE snow now, about 18" I think. Backed out fine, initially CX5 got stuck, light gas, manual in 1st. gear and then it started move forward. Could literally hear and feel the rear wheels engaging, slipping, engaging and then starting moving. Picked up speed a bit and in front could see snow flying on both sides while my car is literally plowing thru the snow. Lots and lots of time there's slipping but car's traction control kicks in in an AWESOME manner, absolutely less than few inches of left - right swerving. Dion't know what DSC does but if it's managing the AWD system I can constantly feel it.
The only problem I had for few seconds was in the parking lot. I stopped, went to the store and when back in car and tried to back out it was a bit tough. Could feel the wheels spinning, etc., etc. and then slowly inched back.
Here's the kicker. When returning back a Honda CRV AWD 2015/2016 stuck in the middle followed by a Jeep GRAND CHEROKEE!, also 2015 model! Jeep was completely stuck as the driver was trying to move and all its wheel were spinning and the car was lurching back and forth, side to side but nada. I did stop to help both families but they both had AAA and were waiting for them. Left the Jeep guy with some water bottles and 2 thermal reflective blankets I carry with me ($1 each). Never realize why but the guy had his 2 year old child in the back-seat ... needed the blankets, water. WTF?? Why venture in this weather with a CHILD!! Dunno, didn't think wise to ask.

Last edited:
I'm north of Baltimore and about an hour ago I measured 22 inches in the middle of my parking area. It's still snowing.
Last evening there wasn't enough snow to test the wife's Equinox AWD and today there is just too much. Window of opportunity was over night.

I live in Maryland. I'm not gonna run winter tires for the 2-4 snow storms we get a year lol Certainly one of this caliber is very rare and will most likely not happen again. Not gonna get into a discussion of winters/awd/etc. I think my CX5 will do just fine for what I'm gonna try and get out of it. Not doing serious snow driving here.

I agree. Being in PA I experience pretty much the same weather conditions as you do. Sure we have the occasional big storm, but for the most part out winters are just very cold. Setting aside funds specifically for winter tires is not worth while. I have got around just fine with good all-season. Just have to know your vehicles and be very cautious.

I understand that but not sure if you guys are aware that winter rubber is designed to ride on snow and in COLD. All season tires are stone hard in anything under 20F and are much less safe/fun/comfortable than winter tires. If you consider that you are driving your car for couple years, you can buy 2 sets of all season tires in the life of vehicle or you can run 1 set of summer tires and 1 set of winters. In that case only added cost is cheap wheels themselves. Yes, it's 200-300 added cost over the life of the vehicle.....is it really that much for ultimate safety and comfort for both summer and winter ? Again, it's one of those cases where people rationalize their choices but once they try winter tires, they would never go back. I had this discussion with my friend couple years ago. I just found out few weeks ago she had an accident. Subaru which has very good AWD to begin with lost grip on slick surface, she crossed 3 lanes of traffic, missed couple cars and ended up in a ditch ...no one hurt, all is good. Could be easily prevented. You only need one situation in your life to thank yourself for having proper rubber. If you ask me I would make winter rubber mandatory in any state with real winter and cold temperatures. It would safe many lives. When you skid on slick surface you become a 3,500LBS worth of lethal weapon.

We're over 2 feet!!! a far cry from the 6 to 10" which was originally forecast.

Back