Blizzard hitting Mid-Atlantic..CX5 is ready

Congratulations on your 27th anniversary!!

I'm only at my 18th.

My parents recently celebrated their 54th .

Took my wife to dinner in Boston Saturday night for our 27th Anniversary. Boston had 6 inches of snow but you had to watch out for the drifted parts because of the wind. My snow tires have not arrived yet so we went with the OEM Toyo's still on. I am SO impressed with the handling of the CX-5! I passed two Subaru's creeping on the way in..the car was solid all the way in and all the way back. We had to valet park and the kid who took it told me after he brought it out that it was really cool to drive...
Can't wait to get my Blizzak's on..!!
Well done, Mazda!

Nice, frigid 27th. @ Boston. Hope dinner was good. Dude - I'm sure you're thinking - this is PEANUTS, if only you saw us last year!! Was in Boston last year - FEMA should re-write the laws, the amount of snow you folks saw, it was really a FEMA case to step in.

It was mandatory with the old bias-ply tires to deflate them in the cold and snow. Radials have a much softer sidewall construction for a more effective contact patch and do not benefit as much (if at all). Take them too low and the traction gets worse because of the way the contact patch deforms. In the summer and winter I run about 2 psi. above the door sticker. If you need more traction on snow you can bring them down to the door sticker pressure or a bit below. I wouldn't go more than 2-4 psi below and do not drive fast on under-inflated tires. Different model tires will respond a bit differently to under-inflation but, since I run winter tires I've never needed the additional traction. When I've lowered them below spec on my 17" equipped CX-5 (just for testing purposes) I could feel the traction become worse, not better, at just a few pounds under the door sticker. On a CX-5 equipped with 19" wheels there is less leeway for lowering pressure unless you don't care about your rims.

I had mine at 39 psi, just checked now. It's 32 - 33 psi. He didn't deflate it too much.

Took my wife to dinner in Boston Saturday night for our 27th Anniversary. Boston had 6 inches of snow but you had to watch out for the drifted parts because of the wind. My snow tires have not arrived yet so we went with the OEM Toyo's still on. I am SO impressed with the handling of the CX-5! I passed two Subaru's creeping on the way in..the car was solid all the way in and all the way back. We had to valet park and the kid who took it told me after he brought it out that it was really cool to drive...
Can't wait to get my Blizzak's on..!!
Well done, Mazda!
How could you not pass Subarus. Last time I was in Boston there were at least two Subarus per block. I could not believe how many Subarus drive around the Boston suburbs. It seemed that the worst drivers bought a Subaru.

Interesting... I do seem to encounter an unusual number of challenged Audi and Subaru drivers in the passes. Last weekend I encountered a total idiot in a G class Mercedes with dealer plates. He could hardly keep it on the road. Perhaps Mercedes needs to concentrate on the autonomous tech on this expensive line.

2016-G-CLASS-SUV-CH01-D.jpg

Last edited:
Here in Arizona I'm ready for the winter. Had to wear 2 layers of T-shirts and wipe the dust off my windshield.

Here in the frozen tundra of Minnesota we just emerged from 40+ hours of sub-zero temps. Not all that much snow. In fact, we're about 17" below normal this year. Today it got up to 30 above and will be above normal temps the rest of this week.

I've driven the CX-5 in moderate snow and ice w/19" rims and stock M&S Toyo tires. It does just fine but we don't have than many hills. Wife's FWD Camry Hybrid has winter tires and we use that for most of our commuting and road trips.

Biggest complaint I have re: the CX-5 is that it is a bit slow to warm up the cabin. Five below is not fifteen above. The seat heaters are far weaker than those on the Camry. I don't start to feel cabin heat until 3-4 miles down the road.

physics behind it is really quite simple ....bigger/softer patch of contact with the road

I disagree. The actual answer will vary depending upon the specific condition being measured and, IME, it's typical that the conditions encountered on a single day vary widely vs. being consistent everywhere. Of course I'm most often driving in the mountains through multiple elevation ranges and on different aspect exposure (with regard to compass points). This means the pressure I choose has to work well in all conditions. Conditions are more consistent in a flat place like Eastern Montana. If you're an ice racer, do whatever ice racers do. But don't expect it to be a good idea to run 20-25 psi on public roads with the same tires you depend upon to get you where you are going every day.

The specific condition I tested my Goodyear UltraGrip Ice tires at a pressure of about 32 psi one day was ~25F with fresh packed powder on the roadway. They had noticeably less traction than at 36 psi. I could not accelerate or brake as effectively and cornering traction was reduced as well. Also unsettling was there was less feedback and thus it was harder to judge how close I was to the traction limit. Just a vague steering and braking response. I used a 12v portable pump to adjust pressures. Every tire has a pressure where it's contour matches it's design contour. This pressure will be higher when the load is higher (heavier vehicle or more gear/passengers). Too far below this pressure and the treads footprint is no longer evenly loaded. My Goodyear hit their sweetspot on hardpack roads at about 34-35 psi with a light load. If I were going to winter rally on hardback snow, this is where I would run them. But they don't give up much at 37 psi so that is where I set them. I also achieve better feedback and better steering response at the slightly higher pressure and have more leeway for taking on passengers and gear. I'm not about to adjust my tire pressure because I have two more passengers!

I will air down 2 psi to optimum (35 psi) when traveling over snow covered backcountry roads where there is zero traffic, no cellular coverage and slow speeds. If conditions deteriorated due to solar radiation or warm rain, causing excessive softness and sinking too deep into sloppy snowpack, I would air them down as low as 28 psi if necessary to get back to civilization. But I recently went through deep, sloppy, melting conditions at about 35 psi (I haven't checked my pressure for about a month and they lose less than 1 psi/month) and the setup performed admirably.

I will say this, any improvement you see by adjusting pressures higher or lower will be miniscule compared to the difference of all-season radial vs. winter radial!

On Friday night I was pulling my snowmobile trailer down to a buddies property. Total trip was roughly 25 miles, and the time when I was pulling there was already a decent amount of snow on the ground. The CX5 had no problem pulling the ~1400lbs trailer through the snow. It also had no issues getting going again on a hill at a red light, it spun all four trying, but it didn't struggle much at all. Overall, I am very impressed with the car, it did even better without the trailer of course. This is all on stock Yoko all-seasons.

On Friday night I was pulling my snowmobile trailer down to a buddies property. Total trip was roughly 25 miles, and the time when I was pulling there was already a decent amount of snow on the ground. The CX5 had no problem pulling the ~1400lbs trailer through the snow. It also had no issues getting going again on a hill at a red light, it spun all four trying, but it didn't struggle much at all. Overall, I am very impressed with the car, it did even better without the trailer of course. This is all on stock Yoko all-seasons.

Beregiz Avtomobil......:)

geeeezzz it's like talking to a bunch of kids at the playground.....yeh I get it ....it's doable and you are all so impressed with best in the world mazda's AWD that turns pedestrian compact CUV into a snow plow ...even on all season tires. I get it, I get. Now what you DON'T get is the fact that all that would be STILL doable only 3x more enjoyable and 4x safer for EVERYONE ON THE ROAD on winter tires.

UNDERSTAND kids that winter tire in all but super dry 25F+ conditions will give you vastly improved everything. You are rationalizing use of all season tires because it's enough and it just works ...Yeh I know ....until you end up in that ONE situation where it won't work. It might cost you inconvenience, scratch on a bumper, new headlight ...or maybe your health....or maybe my health.

UNDERSTAND that we are not talking about marginal improvement in performance all season vs. winter tires. With any amount of snow coverage we are talking 100% more grip at a VERY MINIMUM. In hardcore conditions we are talking 2 or even 3x more grip and stopping power. Sorry for a rant but it's an enthusiast forum (?) not a soccer mom convention right ???

Get a frickin' 5+ year old winter tires on Craigslist for $150 for a set, put them on your super duper mazda cx 5, drive in a first snow you can find and be amazed how much better the most mediocre, worn to hell winter tires are compared to your brand new Toyo;s or whatever all season $hit you are rolling on right now. My 1st winter tires were 8 year old Nokians. Yes, 8 seasons with 50% of meat left. I was the 3rd owner of these. I got them for a $100 from a friend. They were SO MUCH better than my close to new at that time all seasons. Following year, I bought brand new Blizzaks and that's when the actual fun began.

Understand kids that you are driving 3,500 LBS worth of junk on 4 wheels. At the end of the day that's what it comes down to. Any force applied to all that mass, has EXPONENTIAL consequences on any aspect of driving with even a fraction of improved or impaired traction.

End of rant

geeeezzz it's like talking to a bunch of kids at the playground.....yeh I get it ....it's doable and you are all so impressed with best in the world mazda's AWD that turns pedestrian compact CUV into a snow plow ...even on all season tires. I get it, I get. Now what you DON'T get is the fact that all that would be STILL doable only 3x more enjoyable and 4x safer for EVERYONE ON THE ROAD on winter tires.

UNDERSTAND kids that winter tire in all but super dry 25F+ conditions will give you vastly improved everything. You are rationalizing use of all season tires because it's enough and it just works ...Yeh I know ....until you end up in that ONE situation where it won't work. It might cost you inconvenience, scratch on a bumper, new headlight ...or maybe your health....or maybe my health.

UNDERSTAND that we are not talking about marginal improvement in performance all season vs. winter tires. With any amount of snow coverage we are talking 100% more grip at a VERY MINIMUM. In hardcore conditions we are talking 2 or even 3x more grip and stopping power. Sorry for a rant but it's an enthusiast forum (?) not a soccer mom convention right ???

Get a frickin' 5+ year old winter tires on Craigslist for $150 for a set, put them on your super duper mazda cx 5, drive in a first snow you can find and be amazed how much better the most mediocre, worn to hell winter tires are compared to your brand new Toyo;s or whatever all season $hit you are rolling on right now. My 1st winter tires were 8 year old Nokians. Yes, 8 seasons with 50% of meat left. I was the 3rd owner of these. I got them for a $100 from a friend. They were SO MUCH better than my close to new at that time all seasons. Following year, I bought brand new Blizzaks and that's when the actual fun began.

Understand kids that you are driving 3,500 LBS worth of junk on 4 wheels. At the end of the day that's what it comes down to. Any force applied to all that mass, has EXPONENTIAL consequences on any aspect of driving with even a fraction of improved or impaired traction.

End of rant

Drogos - you didn't get it, I guess. No one, at least not me argues that winter tires are much, much better. ALL your points are true and completely 100% accurate. All I was sharing along with russiankid is that the AWD system in CX-5 is superb for slick/slippery/ice/snow. Along the way it just so happened that we are/were on all-seasons. Check my response: I did mention it'll be even better with winter tires.
The thing is CX-5 behaved and operated BEAUTIFULLY and would have been even better if there were winter tires installed. Finally, in comparison I saw revered Subaru and Jeep G Cherokee stuck....

got ya'. Point taken. Other cars being stuck and you driving often leads to so common confusion though: Correlation does not imply causation. There is many variables in this equation, tires being the most important one. I also prevailed on 4x4 trails in CO where according to forest service "many Jeeps have destroyed differentials ".....and ... "there is no way you will get through this in ....THIS ". My pedestrian, soccer dad Subaru outback did just fine ....oh dare I say on STOCK ALL SEASON tires too LOL!!! so should I draw a conclusion that my subaru has better AWD than those jeeps with broken diffs.??? HELL NO !!! Same with all those winter hero comments. Yah, u made it,,,, and u passed some AWD cars in the process.....bravo... but it means exactly nottinnnnnnnn' LOL

Put 2 cars with same driver on same rubber in same controlled environment and than we can do all out piss contest. Until then.....people start searching CL for winter tires and stop applauding mazda's AWD system based on braving stop sign to stop sign in couple of inches of snow.

got ya'. Point taken. Other cars being stuck and you driving often leads to so common confusion though: Correlation does not imply causation. There is many variables in this equation, tires being the most important one. I also prevailed on 4x4 trails in CO where according to forest service "many Jeeps have destroyed differentials ".....and ... "there is no way you will get through this in ....THIS ". My pedestrian, soccer dad Subaru outback did just fine ....oh dare I say on STOCK ALL SEASON tires too LOL!!! so should I draw a conclusion that my subaru has better AWD than those jeeps with broken diffs.??? HELL NO !!! Same with all those winter hero comments. Yah, u made it,,,, and u passed some AWD cars in the process.....bravo... but it means exactly nottinnnnnnnn' LOL

Put 2 cars with same driver on same rubber in same controlled environment and than we can do all out piss contest. Until then.....people start searching CL for winter tires and stop applauding mazda's AWD system based on braving stop sign to stop sign in couple of inches of snow.

I think you're self arguing. Let me put it this way: you agree all-seasons are bad. But here - you see not me only but quite a few commenting how good the CX5 behaved in all-seasons. Which means the AWD in CX5 is really good, since (as per you) even though it had these HORRIBLE all-season absolutely unfit for winter - still behaved wonderfully. Which means AWD in CX5 is good. Thus, I am applauding Mazda's AWD system. You can't bring in the DRIVER as a variable here. As there were multiple drivers and all reported same good handling in snow. The only thing common are the all-season (Bad, bad: as per you) and the AWD. So, simply put: AWD is good.

Last edited:
Until then.....people start searching CL for winter tires and stop applauding mazda's AWD system based on braving stop sign to stop sign in couple of inches of snow.

I think what you are seeing here is the result of previous unfounded speculation by a few forum members that Mazda's AWD was not as effective as Jeeps and Subaru's when driving on snow and ice. AWD owners are relieved to verify that this is not the case. The AWD performs admirably. In fact, the people denigrating Mazda's AWD had never even driven one in the snow/ice.

behaved wonderfully. .

Exactly what I am arguing .... lack of perspective and your perception of what 'wonderful snow handling means'. Let's agree to disagree on all fronts. Driver was/is/will be the primary variable in any driving scenario. I can guarantee you that my old mazda 6 on winter tires with FWD and no LSD would do circles around any AWD car on regular all seasons.

I think what you are seeing here is the result of previous unfounded speculation by a few forum members that Mazda's AWD was not as effective as Jeeps and Subaru's when driving on snow and ice. AWD owners are relieved to verify that this is not the case. The AWD performs admirably. In fact, the people denigrating Mazda's AWD had never even driven one in the snow/ice.

I hear ya'. I will be the first one to say that Mazda's AWD or any non permanent AWD for that matter is more than enough for DD car. I am just trying to get across one simple point. TIRES before drivetrains by a MILE !!!

Drogos - you didn't get it, I guess. No one, at least not me argues that winter tires are much, much better. ALL your points are true and completely 100% accurate. All I was sharing along with russiankid is that the AWD system in CX-5 is superb for slick/slippery/ice/snow. Along the way it just so happened that we are/were on all-seasons. Check my response: I did mention it'll be even better with winter tires.
The thing is CX-5 behaved and operated BEAUTIFULLY and would have been even better if there were winter tires installed. Finally, in comparison I saw revered Subaru and Jeep G Cherokee stuck....

To add to this, I didn't drive the CX5 around in the storm. I was only pulling my trailer to a buddies house before the storm worsened. When I did have to make a run for some groceries, we took my buddies WRX with brand new Blizzaks on it, the CX5 remained parked until Sunday night when the roads were plowed. I understand what winter tires do, and I also take into consideration when driving that I am not on winter tires, I am on cheap stock all-seasons.

Here in the frozen tundra of Minnesota we just emerged from 40+ hours of sub-zero temps. Not all that much snow. In fact, we're about 17" below normal this year. Today it got up to 30 above and will be above normal temps the rest of this week.

I've driven the CX-5 in moderate snow and ice w/19" rims and stock M&S Toyo tires. It does just fine but we don't have than many hills. Wife's FWD Camry Hybrid has winter tires and we use that for most of our commuting and road trips.

Biggest complaint I have re: the CX-5 is that it is a bit slow to warm up the cabin. Five below is not fifteen above. The seat heaters are far weaker than those on the Camry. I don't start to feel cabin heat until 3-4 miles down the road.

Have you guys considered installing a remote starter for your cars? One thing that I would hate is to have to scrape ice off my windshield just to see.

Have you guys considered installing a remote starter for your cars? One thing that I would hate is to have to scrape ice off my windshield just to see.

Scraping ice vs. not scraping ice is not a question of remote start vs. manual start. If you want to waste fuel and add idle wear/tear to your engine, you don't need a remote start, you just need to push the Start button 10 minutes before you leave.

Personally, I like the way the engine warms up faster when being driven (vs. idling) and so I scrape the windshield while it's idling and then drive off. The activity of scraping is a good way to get your heart pumping so your body feels warm too. Win/win.

Back