Blizzard hitting Mid-Atlantic..CX5 is ready

In the past, I have tried getting my vehicles stuck before just to see how hard it would be to get out (luckily I lived out in the country so not bothering anyone). With enough persistence and some thinking you can definitely get out on your own.

As for the CX-5 going through a foot of snow, if it is fresh powder I do not see why it couldn't. If it is frozen over and packed, then no haha.

Hey russiankid, where are you in Pa.? We're currently looking for a house in the northern of York.

I wonder why Mike hasn't pitched in yet. He has zillion experience in snow and I have never seen him away from topics related to snow or driving in snow for (LOL) anything concerning 2.0 engine..:)

Pfffftttt! You guys crack me up with the snow. (just kidding)
In the early 00s, I got caught in a snow storm in my Jag XJS convertible. I was all over the road but I made it back home. Oh and another time, I got caught in a snow shower on my bike. It was early Nov. Thank God it was just a short one (1/2" at the most) and I was only 15 miles from home, but I could have killed myself ........... or died of hypothermia.
Since then, I've learned to drive the right vehicle during the bad season and I think I'm all set with the CX-5 AWD. Bring it on!

Last edited:
Pfffftttt! You guys crack me up with the snow. (just kidding)
In the early 00s, I got caught in a snow storm in my Jag XJS convertible. I was all over the road but I made it back home. Oh and another time, I got caught in a snow shower on my bike. It was early Nov. Thank God it was just a short one (1/2" at the most) and I was only 15 miles from home, but I could have killed myself ........... or died of hypothermia.
Since then, I've learned to drive the right vehicle during the bad season and I think I'm all set with the CX-5 AWD. Bring it on!

No one is scared or worried here lol We're excited, just like it appears you are. Especially since we have some nice vehicles that are equipped for this weather. 2 feet may be too much though.

As long as the CX-5 brings me down to where I will be snowmobiling in this storm without any issues I am excited. Now if I can't make it there, I will be very upset. I think the roads will be plowed enough for me to make it (25 mile trek), or at least make it out there early Saturday before the bulk of the storm. Also, hopefully roads and car will allow for some AWD snow drifting.

As long as the CX-5 brings me down to where I will be snowmobiling in this storm without any issues I am excited. Now if I can't make it there, I will be very upset. I think the roads will be plowed enough for me to make it (25 mile trek), or at least make it out there early Saturday before the bulk of the storm. Also, hopefully roads and car will allow for some AWD snow drifting.

Wot is snow drifting?

Sliding around in the snow in a controlled fashion? You've never gone out in the snow and messed around? I do it every year, I like to go to vacant areas and learn my vehicles capabilities with causing danger to anyone else.

Hearing 24-30" now . . . and it's supposed to be heavy wet snow, not the fluffy stuff.

I just hope we don't loose power in the house because of wind and heavy snow.

They downgraded us to 6 to 10" now. Hope it's more towards the 6...

At least this one missed us in Reno. Lake Tahoe has been getting their share if -3 footers though. Always amazed me how a 2 foot snow storm destroys the East Coast, while places like Lake Tahoe, just keep on rippen

Totally agree. I remember waking up one morning in Tahoe City with over 3' of snow from overnight. Threw the truck in 4wd and drove to breakfast and realized as I drove down N. Lake Blvd with a solid foot on it there were many people out driving around.

Yeah my parents house a nice steep driveway to test the ability. My house also has a nice hill around it as well. Should be interesting. I'm running the stock tires. But I've always done that in all my cars. Never used winter tires.
well...than you are not really ready for real winter conditions ...are you? 2 or all paws slipping ...doesn't matter. This thing has to stop and corner. Once you go winter tires, you will lough at yourself driving on all seasons in the past

well...than you are not really ready for real winter conditions ...are you? 2 or all paws slipping ...doesn't matter. This thing has to stop and corner. Once you go winter tires, you will lough at yourself driving on all seasons in the past

I live in Maryland. I'm not gonna run winter tires for the 2-4 snow storms we get a year lol Certainly one of this caliber is very rare and will most likely not happen again. Not gonna get into a discussion of winters/awd/etc. I think my CX5 will do just fine for what I'm gonna try and get out of it. Not doing serious snow driving here.

I live in Maryland. I'm not gonna run winter tires for the 2-4 snow storms we get a year lol Certainly one of this caliber is very rare and will most likely not happen again. Not gonna get into a discussion of winters/awd/etc. I think my CX5 will do just fine for what I'm gonna try and get out of it. Not doing serious snow driving here.

I agree. Being in PA I experience pretty much the same weather conditions as you do. Sure we have the occasional big storm, but for the most part out winters are just very cold. Setting aside funds specifically for winter tires is not worth while. I have got around just fine with good all-season. Just have to know your vehicles and be very cautious.

I agree. Being in PA I experience pretty much the same weather conditions as you do. Sure we have the occasional big storm, but for the most part out winters are just very cold. Setting aside funds specifically for winter tires is not worth while. I have got around just fine with good all-season. Just have to know your vehicles and be very cautious.

Couldn't agree more. I'm out now and every store is just packed lol pretty funny

Back