Blizzak WS-90 thoughts after 3 seasons

ColoradoDriver

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD - 132k miles
Contributor
:
Denver, CO
Hey all, so getting ready to purchase a new set of winter tires in 225/65/R17 for my 2014 CX-5 Touring probably towards the end of this month. I previously had on the Blizzak WS-90 and here are my thoughts after 3 seasons.

With 3 seasons, they lasted longer than my previous WS-80's did which were done with the winter compound after 2 seasons. One of the biggest issues with Colorado winters is that there can be large stretches of no snow and even fairly decent temperatures between major snow events and so the WS-80's definitely wore out pretty fast during those times. The WS-90's on the other hand were able to hold up an additional season, but I did notice last year that they were certainly degraded from the previous two season's performance. I didn't get stuck or anything, but definitely encountered situations where I would slip. Not like with an all-season at all, just not as good as when it was new.

Overall, I thought they were slightly worse at the snow/ice grip than my WS-80s. Given how last year we had more snow and freezing temps then the previous two years I am now contemplating if I should switch to the DM-V2 or something else that is better with the grip, but worse for longevity if we get clear stretches, decent temps at times.

All a balancing act, but those are my thoughts on the WS-90's.

My primary experience with winter tires was on a large, heavy, rear-drive BMW (Yokohama Ice-Gaurd IG52c) - I was exceedingly happy with them. Designed to perform well in a variety of typical winter conditions (drive, wet, particularly in slush, smooth and quiet for a winter tire when there was no snow,) , performed great in everything but the deepest of snow you'd typically see, and the best bet was the compound. They seemed to not wear! A buddy of mine had a very similar set of tires, i remember year after year, there was zero noticeable wear on them whatsoever.

My last few winter tire sets were Blizzaks.

WS-80 on my '12 Mazda3. Awesome in snow but were done after 2 winter seasons.

WS-90 on my '20 CX-5 (FWD). Equally awesome in snow as the WS-80's. After 2 winter seasons they still had enough tread left for one more, but unfortunately the car was totalled while the tires were still installed.

My current '22 CX-5 (AWD) has completed 1 winter season on WS-90's, and I am hoping they will last for 2 more.

In Upstate NY I've been very happy with Nokian WRG4 year round. Only had them on for 7 months so I do not know their life expectancy but so far happy with them. i do not miss the tire change over twice a year!

I've had Blizzaks in the past, lasted 3 years. My current ones are Continental Winter Contacts, had for 6 years. Currently ready to pull the plug on a set of General Altimax Arctic 12s:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=General&tireModel=Altimax+Arctic+12&partnum=265TR7AA12XL&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Mazda&autoYear=2016&autoModel=CX-5 AWD&autoModClar=Touring&cameFrom=WinterSection
How did you like the Continentals, and what pushed you to the Generals?

How did you like the Continentals, and what pushed you to the Generals?
They got me through some pretty tough storms and wore long, but now they're 6 years old and that's old enough for a tire before it starts dry rotting. I liked the price on the Generals and had a similar set of them on an older Toyota years ago, also a good gripping tire.

We've had the Blizzak DM-v2 on our 2016.5 touring. We like them very much.

I've had the General Altimax Arctic on a few Mazda 3's and like them very much as well. No complaints.

Our winters in southwest Ohio are mostly mild so the majority of the time our winter tires are driven on dry pavement. I think between the two (Blizzak DM-V2 / General Altimax Arctic) that the Blizzak has worn a little more even where the General gets a bit louder with wear. ... A bit of a growl / whomp whomp whompin' sound for the Generals.

In Upstate NY I've been very happy with Nokian WRG4 year round. Only had them on for 7 months so I do not know their life expectancy but so far happy with them. i do not miss the tire change over twice a year!
In Western Canada - also have WRG4s on two CX-5s year round. We don't get a ton of snow here, but they've been great on ice. I was able to side-by-side test one with, and one without, and the difference on ice was amazing.
We're snowbirds, so no real way to switch back and forth between winter tires.
Because we're snowbirds, the vast majority of the miles have been on dry pavement. I've had them on the one CX-5 for 30 months now - 16,000 miles (not a lot, I know), and still at 8/32 tread - that vehicle did go through one and a half winters due to Covid making us stay home.

I am ironically making the opposite switch- from DM-V2 to WS-90 later on this month. I believe it’s newer than the DM-V2 compound. I do lots of trips through lake effect snow in the upper peninsula, so I will report back how they compare in a month (😉)

I am ironically making the opposite switch- from DM-V2 to WS-90 later on this month. I believe it’s newer than the DM-V2 compound. I do lots of trips through lake effect snow in the upper peninsula, so I will report back how they compare in a month (😉)
Yeah would be very curious!

Those are what I have on the 2016 CX-5 AWD. In a couple of months, I'll have completed three full years usage in all weather (year-'round).

They're nobody's "summer" tire, by any stretch. With a soft enough compound to decently handle wintry weather and wet conditions. Have driven them in temps from -15ºF to 100ºF. Have been in ice, slush, slight dusting of snow in extremely cold weather, a good foot of snow, heavy rain, and warm/dry conditions. Occasionally fording a stream over lots of smaller rocks. Has plenty of grip in all conditions, with the possible exception of ice (but then, ice is nasty).

I've had a handful of extremely hard braking (in dry-ish conditions). Handles it fine, but again not as well as the average "summer" tire would. The compound's good enough for fairly severe winter weather. Yet it's capable enough in the dry and wet for the rest of the year.

Tread life is a bit more than one-third down from peak, as a guess. (With ~1000mi/month usage.) A few examples around the tire exist of the winter-sipes merging together, but there aren't many. I suspect somewhere in the fifth full year I'll need to look at replacement, assuming the grip begins to wane at that point.

Two thumbs up, from me. Very good tires, if one is looking for an all-year, year-'round tire that'll last, desiring to avoid the dance with two sets of tires.

My other thought due to the periods of dry weather between storms was looking at the Michelin X-Ice Snow. Anyone tried these yet?

I also noticed how much more tires cost these days vs the last time I bought snow tires.

My other thought due to the periods of dry weather between storms was looking at the Michelin X-Ice Snow. Anyone tried these yet?

I also noticed how much more tires cost these days vs the last time I bought snow tires.
I had them on my current CX-5 after having older gen Blizzak on previous vehicles (WS70 and DM-V1). I think they are the best all around tires on snow, ice, wet and dry conditions. The steering feel is just like all season tires so better than the Blizzak I had. You may add other top rated tires to your list like Nokian R5 and Conti Viking Contact 7. Nokian is not sold everywhere (Tire Rack doesn't sell them) but you may want to check Consumer Reports for their ratings. Also you'll notice that speed and load ratings vary from one tire to the other. My Michelin have a T speed rating and 106 XL load rating (same for Conti) while DM-V2 have S and 102 and WS-90 have H and 102. Have fun shopping :)

I had them on my current CX-5 after having older gen Blizzak on previous vehicles (WS70 and DM-V1). I think they are the best all around tires on snow, ice, wet and dry conditions. The steering feel is just like all season tires so better than the Blizzak I had. You may add other top rated tires to your list like Nokian R5 and Conti Viking Contact 7. Nokian is not sold everywhere (Tire Rack doesn't sell them) but you may want to check Consumer Reports for their ratings. Also you'll notice that speed and load ratings vary from one tire to the other. My Michelin have a T speed rating and 106 XL load rating (same for Conti) while DM-V2 have S and 102 and WS-90 have H and 102. Have fun shopping :)
Thanks for the reply! I saw Discount Tire running a $110 off Michelin promotion, so thought about going down that path.

The Nokian tires I found around here were a bit more than I wanted to pay to be honest at closer to $260/tire for 225/65R17. Contrast that to $160/tire for WS90's or DM-V2's and $185/tire for the X-Ice Snow. Heard about the Viking Contact, will check those out. Thanks for the suggestion.

At this time, probably leaning toward the X-Ice Snow.

EDIT: General Altimax Arctic also on the list at only $148/tire, but no idea its wear properties/longevity.

Last edited:
Another to add to the list, anyone have experience with Continental Viking Contact 7's?

Thanks for the reply! I saw Discount Tire running a $110 off Michelin promotion, so thought about going down that path.

The Nokian tires I found around here were a bit more than I wanted to pay to be honest at closer to $260/tire for 225/65R17. Contrast that to $160/tire for WS90's or DM-V2's and $185/tire for the X-Ice Snow. Heard about the Viking Contact, will check those out. Thanks for the suggestion.

At this time, probably leaning toward the X-Ice Snow.

EDIT: General Altimax Arctic also on the list at only $148/tire, but no idea its wear properties/longevity.
Altimax Artic is a studdable tire. Without studs, it will not perform well on ice. Not in the same category as the others.

Latest posts

Back