Best tire installer to avoid damaged rims

Jack Rabbit

Banned
:
18 Mazda CX5 AW
Does anyone have a preferred national tire shop that uses the latest tire changing machines and doesn't scuff/chip the rims ?

Really don't want to get my powder-coat rims messed up on the first install. Never had my stock or aftermarket rims messed up by the local shop. But don't want to take the chance. Heard some powder-coat chips off easier on tire changer versus factory painted wheels.

Does anyone have a preferred national tire shop that uses the latest tire changing machines and doesn't scuff/chip the rims ?

Really don't want to get my powder-coat rims messed up on the first install. Never had my stock or aftermarket rims messed up by the local shop. But don't want to take the chance. Heard some powder-coat chips off easier on tire changer versus factory painted wheels.
Powder coating if applied correctly (this also mean the prep work) is more durable than most paints.
It hard to compare factory powder coating to having it done, it all has to do with budgets. This goes for factory wheels as well. The same MAZDA wheel is manufactured in about 3 different countries. On my MAZDA 3 wheels are from Mexico and one from China all where on the car new from the dealer.

As for a company that changes tires, IMHO I would simply ask the manager or shop manager who is your best tire tech. Explain to him/her your concerns about your really nice wheels. If they even smirk let alone go into a defensive mode about how well all their people are.... IMHO PASS go to another shop.
Its not the equipment so much as it is slowing down and doing the job correctly. Also make sure they use the nylon cover for the breaker bar and use plenty of installation lube (not just water). You can and should remind them of this. If they take offence pass on them go to another shop.

I would prep the wheels in advance by removing all the wheel weights and meticulously cleaning the wheel both front and back.
I would hang out at the traditional YELLOW plastic chain at the end of the garage door that say employees only and watch the complete procedure. If you see something that you question shout out and POLITELY ask. A real professional will be happy to explain or answer your concerns and questions.

Before you load them up to take home or before they lower your vehicle down ask if you can look over the completed work. Look for any accidental damage or scratches. If they are bad or can be seen as in the front of the wheel address this now. Once you leave no one can really argue the prof where that damage happened.

You will be surprised but many shops have a person who will fit the requirements. I would also tip them like a 5 or 10 even if that shop does not allow tips to the service bay techs its the thought that counts and will be remembered next time you need your wheel done.

Upvote 0
I had a very bad experience with a large chain store. Long story short.. Tech was very careless. So it doesn't matter what requirement they use if they don't give a crap at all.

Make sure you take pictures to document the condition in case you need to make any claims.

Upvote 0
I had a very bad experience with a large chain store. Long story short.. Tech was very careless. So it doesn't matter what requirement they use if they don't give a crap at all.

Make sure you take pictures to document the condition in case you need to make any claims.
I would really simply have the manager of the store, or the service manager look over the wheels carefully while expressing your value about them and noting that there is no damage. This would actually be a strong supportive information should it end in small claims court. Unfortunately, unless you take detailed pictures when they are on the property of the installer out of your possession but before any work is done on them and then after pictures are subjective at best.
I speak from direct experience with customers dropping off damaged parts that we documented and even took pictures to cover our arse. Just in case!
I

Upvote 0

A lot depends on the person in the shop and their attitude, not so much who the national chain is. You could have a great shop but have that guy who doesn't have the right attitude screw things up. Some people aren't trainable. My pet peeve is improper lug nut torque, some people torque them, some don't, doesn't matter about the shop. Before and after pictures are your best insurance, and I always check lug nut torque when I get my car back, always.

Upvote 0
Technically speaking you should check the wheel torque again anyway between 100-500 miles on a street driven daily driver after the wheels have been removed and re-installed.
In my past shop I had 2 bays for installing tire and wheel packages. On the finished release that needed to be signed it stated please retorque after 50 miles, or stop by for a courtesy wheel torque and tire &wheel inspection. (Something like that its been 30+years now. :rolleyes:) Also as an added custom benefit only myself (manager)or my assistant manager could initial the finish work after we did the final wheel torquing.

Upvote 0
A lot depends on the person in the shop and their attitude, not so much who the national chain is. You could have a great shop but have that guy who doesn't have the right attitude screw things up. Some people aren't trainable. My pet peeve is improper lug nut torque, some people torque them, some don't, doesn't matter about the shop. Before and after pictures are your best insurance, and I always check lug nut torque when I get my car back, always.
My biggest problem is they just seem to grab the impact gun and drive the lug nuts home. I have yet to see anyone properly torque. They managed to break off one of my wheel hub screws while reattaching a lug nut last time.

Upvote 0
My biggest problem is they just seem to grab the impact gun and drive the lug nuts home. I have yet to see anyone properly torque. They managed to break off one of my wheel hub screws while reattaching a lug nut last time.
Yep. Two reasons. One is called laziness. The other is overworked.

Impact guns main use is to break loose any high torque bolts or frozen/rusted bolts.

Lugs should be hand threaded on and wrench tightened but everyone's too lazy to do that nowadays. Gun it on and back to their cellphone and social media.

The other ones who work in large volume shops are overworked and trying to get the job done as quick as possible.

Both are the shop owner/managers fault.

Upvote 0
Decided to sacrifice my lugnuts and the safety of the Mazda oem lugwrench to save the wheels as much as possible.

Instead of OEM 13/16(21mm) black lugs, am going with the 3/4 (19 mm) black bulge lugs and try to keep my 4(four) way wrench in the vehicle since the OEM wrench will be useless.

The bulge nuts will prevent tech from stripping the rim face
And buying sleeved 3/4 inch sockets to hand to the tire tech during install.

Hopefully should keep any wheel damage to a minimum. Just need to remember to put the 4(four) way back in vehicle or buy another one.

Upvote 0
I got lucky with Discount Tire back in Florida. They actually used a torque wrench at the right specs. My new local Discount Tire in Alabama uses torque sticks on their impact wrench to keep it from tightening too much. It creeped me out a bit the first time I saw it but thankfully they’ve never been overtorqued. I really wish they’d follow up with a digital or click torque wrench after that but they don’t. Filled my mother in laws RV tires to max 80 PSI when the van sticker said 58 🤦‍♂️, but lug nuts weren’t screwed up lol

Last edited:
Upvote 0
McGard 3/4 inch bulge nuts arrived today.

Even thought McGard uses sae, the 19 mm socket fit the nuts like a glove. Ordering a 19 mm sleeved socket.

Upvote 0
This is why I rotate my own tires. About torque, I just had my C8 lowered about a month ago. Great shop that I trust, but in rechecking the lugs some were way too loose. The C8 spec is 140ftlbs, much higher than most, but they were loose. I have had good luck with Discount Tire when I have had to have tires mounted. They put all seasons on my C8 rims with no damage. They have even mounted drag radials for me, and skinny front tires for drag racing with no issues.

Upvote 0
Back