Berty's Cosmo

the haltech cost me about 2500 over 2 years ago.
my fist car was the guinea pig for them to make the plug n play loom for the e8. another 20b went in after mine came out for the 20b plug n play for the e11. not sure if they are still available though...

in my old car i made 330hp at the wheels on 14psi through a big auto. slightly ported block, to4z turbo (1.15 rear), 1600cc secondary injectors. fairly basic setup, very easy to drive, still very streetable.

In my car now i just have the basic bolt ons from the previous car. std motor, intercooler, exhaust + the haltech made 200hp at thewheels (very tired motor) and my other car with the same basic mods made 210hp (also tired motor)

when the time comes to put my good motor back in ill makng a few slight changes like a smaller rear housing on th turbo(1.00), better positioning of turbo with a better manifold, and a smaller stall convertor + ALOT of heat sheilding!!!!!
then later down the track a big igition system and water injection + more boost.

330 at the wheels is impressive enough on the street I would be happy enough with that,, but a little more is always better lol

What sort of hp could you get out of a13b with a boost controller and basic exhaust mods and pod filter does anybody know ?

Theres never enough HP!!!!

A standard 13b with very basic mods, would make around about what i made. Depending on the state of the motor.
Both of mine were very tired (low compression)
without a computer id say <200hp at the wheels.

Okay, so I have had a crazy thought....

I can get some 18x13 wheels with 0 offset and some 18x11 with -25 offset. Just wondering if anybody has any pictures of Cosmo's running bolt on flares?

(confused)

yours will probably be the first.
i think this has universal type or rolled. probably already seen it.
what rims? theyd have some crazy width tires...
only consideration is that ridge that runs the length of the car.

Attachments

• l_8a73d0755d234ec285361e384f0dbfcc.jpg
    l_8a73d0755d234ec285361e384f0dbfcc.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 280
Last edited:
Thanks mate, I have seen that one before but thats not really the style I was thinking of.

I actually saw this Aussie owned Silvia on secretdrift and got inspired by it....

DSC00038.jpg

I don't suppose that anyone would be keen to photoshop this style of flare onto a Cosmo? (wink)

Have you guys seen this custom bodied EC? Absolutely insane!

<script type="text/javascript">Y.E.onDOMReady(show_notes_initially);</script>http://www.flickr.com/photos/michaelwardphotos/3366885838/in/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/michaelwardphotos/3366060883/in/photostream/

Not my style at all but you can't ignore the amount of work that must have gone into creating that completely custom body work!

Ps...Wide enough for 'ya? :p

http://www.flickr.com/photos/michaelwardphotos/3366054771/in/photostream/
spaceball.gif

Antoine,

This Cosmo lives in the U.K. I actullay saw this in the flesh so to speak last year,, it is a hell of a kit,, however the 2 main issues are the rear lights which for obvious reason can not be extended to fit correctly as they wrap around the rear fenders so it has a metal grille arrangement which up close is not that appealing,, and IMO the front looks awful with that grille arrangement

nice colour though lol

they do look better bigger and carbon fibre if you like.. i had a image of a corolla 86' have too look through some mags.
the wide bodies look good but it would be so much work. and thought design wise.

Attachments

• DSC01441.jpg
    DSC01441.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 402
I'm getting my Cosmo painted and get rid of all the minor imperfection in next 3-4 months.. And while I'm doing that, I'm going to fabricate my spare hood and put some vents in like this IS300..

IShoodvents.jpg

I'm also going to retrofit a projection style HIDs in the Cosmo housing vs. just HID bulb replacement. I'll let you guys know how that goes.

I'm getting my Cosmo painted and get rid of all the minor imperfection in next 3-4 months.. And while I'm doing that, I'm going to fabricate my spare hood and put some vents in like this IS300..

I'm also going to retrofit a projection style HIDs in the Cosmo housing vs. just HID bulb replacement. I'll let you guys know how that goes.

A hood mod like that looks mean(burn)
projection style HIDs...glad to see those crystal ball lights!

Antoine,

This Cosmo lives in the U.K. I actullay saw this in the flesh so to speak last year,, it is a hell of a kit,, however the 2 main issues are the rear lights which for obvious reason can not be extended to fit correctly as they wrap around the rear fenders so it has a metal grille arrangement which up close is not that appealing,, and IMO the front looks awful with that grille arrangement

nice colour though lol

I totally agree...While the kit is INSANE...It's also quite hideous...Especially in the front...:eek:

Have you seen this one before...This guy has put a tremendous amount of custom work & YEN into his EC...Talk about WILD!

p1.jpg

IShoodvents.jpg

(cool) Looking forward to those updates, Phil! Although the paint on my EC is in very good overall condition...When the time comes...I would like to do the same thing to my EC...Strip the paint, smooth out any imperfections and have the beaut repainted...How much do you estimate it will cost to smooth out the body and paint in your case?

As for the hood mod...That's definitely going to give the EC an aggressive look and help reduce under hood temps...Have you seen this one before?

04%5B1%5D.jpg

Why the HID switch? As you know, I went the modified housing route and glad I did even though it took a bit of planning, time & money to get the job done right...This is the set I went with...

I took the Cosmo out to a track day on the weekend. It wasnt anything too serious, just a fun morning sprint session with around 60 cars in two groups.

This was the first time that I had been out to Lakeside Raceway and I have to say that it is a very fun track to drive, lots of height varation and great corner combinations which can be taken at high speeds without feeling boring or un-challenging.

I raced in the first group of cars, mainly Nissans and I have to say that the Cosmo was absolutely brilliant! I had no trouble keeping up with them in the corners, in fact, it felt like it had some much more left in it in terms of grip.

All of the harshness of my coilovers and body bracing was forgiven due to how bloody well it went on the track... no understeer and no oversteer. It felt very firm and confident in all of the corners, even the crap-tacular Cosmo brakes did well.

My new cooling system was very good. I had replaced the radiator previously and went to thermally controlled electric fans. I had a ton of over heating in regular traffic, but once I put the under-body tray back on, tempreture problems where a thing of the past.

Issues that I had, where that I kept on hitting boost cut on the main straight and my turbo eventually died and left plumes of smoke when on boost, BUT the Cosmo drove home without a fuss, Oh and I think that I ruptured a heater line. I had known about the turbo problems for a while, so it wasnt a big issue.

The track was 2.5 Km long (i think) and I did five laps back to back at about 75% speed. The car was above 3,500 RPM the whole time in manual mode and I only backed off a few times. I can see why the EST Fukayama Cosmo is such a mean track car now. I am looking forward to installing the new turbo, getting a tune and really pushing it!!

cosmotrack1.png

4468052347_6f4ab29963_o.jpg

(cool) Pics! Please tell me you've got vids to???

Fantastic Update, Berty! (2thumbs) It's great to see a fellow EC Owner actually take their Cosmo on the track to see what it can do...What sort of body bracing do you currently have..? I've only got a front Okuyama Strut Bar installed (the rear one is still in storage waiting to be installed).

I'm not surprised that your EC performed well on the track, the EC is definitely UNDERESTIMATED as a proper performance machine (especially when properly "enhanced")...When I ran with a bunch of RX-8s on a popular Mountain Run for the first time, I was pleasantly surprised that my EC was able to adapt and perform quite well to the extreme mountain roads...Even with just sport springs & craptastic brakes...lol...:p

It's also good to know you're happy with your current electric fan setup...I'm thinking of converting to electric fans eventually...Probably when I upgrade the radiator. Do you think you're saving a decent amount of horsepower with this setup...Vs the stock belt driven fan?

Lookin' forward to your next update...BTW...Love the stance! (rockon)

cosmotrack1.png

(cool) Looking forward to those updates, Phil! Although the paint on my EC is in very good overall condition...When the time comes...I would like to do the same thing to my EC...Strip the paint, smooth out any imperfections and have the beaut repainted...How much do you estimate it will cost to smooth out the body and paint in your case?

Its hard to say as I'm getting work done on the RX7 and the Comso..

As for the hood mod...That's definitely going to give the EC an aggressive look and help reduce under hood temps...Have you seen this one before?

04%5B1%5D.jpg

I was initially going to go with those until I asked the body guy about fabbing up the hood like the IS hood.

Why the HID switch? As you know, I went the modified housing route and glad I did even though it took a bit of planning, time & money to get the job done right...This is the set I went with...

Antoine,

I might be wrong, but those look like they are still bulb replacements and not projector type.

Seems we're taking over Berty's thread here...:p...Sorry!

Yeah...The IS setup is definitely very clean compared to those bolt-on style ones.

As for the HID setup...I see what you mean now...Yeah, I've replaced the stock bulbs with an HID setup but I'm still using the stock headlight housings (bought a spare set for this mod).

I would be very interested to see how your Projector Style HID mod turns out...I've seen a set of what might be Projector Style HID Cosmo Headlights on some Japanese blog before...Seems this Cosmo might have them?

p1.jpg

It's also good to know you're happy with your current electric fan setup...I'm thinking of converting to electric fans eventually...Probably when I upgrade the radiator. Do you think you're saving a decent amount of horsepower with this setup...Vs the stock belt driven fan?

Lookin' forward to your next update...BTW...Love the stance! (rockon)

Thanks for the kind words. I have the same Okayama braces (front & rear) that you have. I was talking to pjman a couple of weeks ago and that is by far, the best bang for your buck upgrade that you can do to the Cosmo.

Under the car, their is the basic front steering arm brace and the transmission tunnel has got an X brace on it.

In terms of the thermo fan, i was sooo close to going back to clutch fans after the stuff around that I had. If I had my time again, I would run two 14" fans, and not the single 16 that I have. The reason for this is that you really need to keep the factory thermo in place as well as have the main thermo, otherwise, your aircon will take ages to get cold and will also get hot if sitting in traffic for ages. I am actually going to add a 14" pusher fan to the front of the air-con radiator.

My main thermo is wired with two relays; one that switches based on a Davies Craig temp probe in the upper radiator pipe, and the other relay is triggered by the A/C fan relay AND the factory overheat switch.

However, I have the wiring for the factory thermo still in place, so i am just going to connect another 14" thermo to that circuit.

Whatever you do, make sure that you run with the front under-tray... it really does make that much of a difference.

In terms of power savings I am a little undecided. I really didn't notice that much of a difference, however before the track day, I also disconnected my aircon and I did get a noticeable difference from doing that.

After the track day, I am seriously considering a louvered bonnet. I really like the IS200 that was posted earlier.

Back