Berty's Cosmo

Berty

:
Eunos Cosmo
I have been putting this off for ages but I thought that I would share my Cosmo with other enthusiasts.

My Cosmo is a 1994 Series 2 ECCS with the "Black Forest" paint. It rolled off the production line on the 24th or March, 1994 (Thanks DMRH) and was brought into Australia circa 2000 as an import.

When i got it, the only modifications where a pod filter and a set of Series 6 RX7 alloys. It had about 72,000KM on the clock and the 20B engine had been rebuilt at about 40,000Km and given a mild port job by Ben Hunt at Rotary Motorsport.

Soon after I got the car, I started doing subtle modifications starting with a set of JIC Magic Coilovers. A friend of mine did most of the install work and we got the job done in about 3 hours. These where second hand from YAJ and have 16KG front springs and 7KG rear springs, which does make the extremely firm.

The next step was to add a Carbing front strut brace which improved the turn-in significantly. Rear wheel grip was a problem, so I castored in the rears to about 3 degrees.

Here are some pictures of the car shortly after this stage of mods...

3321603738e0abe091af.jpg

The next modification was to improve the intercooler. To do this, I followed the extremely useful instructions featured on Grant's page. I purchased an RX7 Reverse V-Mount Intercooler, two 90 degree bends, two 45 degree bends, 30cm of 2.5" intercoooler piping and 10 V-Band clamps. The beauty of doing his mod is that I didn't even need to remove the front bar. There was heaps of room in the front. With plenty of help from my mates, the job was done in about an hour and a half!

cosmocooler.jpg

The car is currently running a Greddy Emanage Ultimate and Blitz Spec R DSBC however the car has busted its second turbo, so a full a upgrade is currently underway. The car is going to be majorly overhauled in the coming year and should be fairly lively once I get it all done.

The car is soon to be running a HKS T51R Kai! ill post updates once it happens!

Last edited:
Very cool & Very cleanl! Glad to see you finally posted about your ride...I love reading about other Cosmos on the forums...(2thumbs)

You've got quite a few interesting mods going on there...I've got some questions if you don't mind:

* Have you had it dynoed yet? If so...With which mods?

* Were the JIC Magic Coilovers designed for a specific car...Was it difficult to adapt them to the EC? Is the ride tolerable over long distances?

* I'd love to see pics of your RX7 Reverse V-Mount Intercooler setup...How much did the IC run ya?

I'm thinking of going with a custom ARC setup in the future.

* How was the Greddy Emanage Ultimate tuned...On the Dyno or Street or both? How does it run with this setup...100% Streetable?

I'm thinking of going with some sort of EMS in the future but I want to retain full drivability & streetablilty.

As for boost control...I'm currently running a Blitz SBC i-D III Spec R (dual solenoid).

* Second turbo...Why did it go bust? Age? Too much boost?

Thanks in advance man!

Definitely keep us updated...Keep on lookin' clean & mean! (2thumbs)

cosmocooler.jpg

You've got quite a few interesting mods going on there...I've got some questions if you don't mind:

* Have you had it dynoed yet? If so...With which mods?

No Dyno results as of yet, mainly due to the busted turbo which has been making me paranoid.

* Were the JIC Magic Coilovers designed for a specific car...Was it difficult to adapt them to the EC? Is the ride tolerable over long distances?

They are specifically for the JC Cosmo which is good!
Australian roads are pretty crap so the coilovers do feel pretty rough, however I would imagine that the roads in Japan are a lot better. If you do go with the JIC's then get helper springs for the front and rear. I have got linear springs.

Despite sacrificing comfort, the car is a different beast with them. Much more stable during high speed cornering and better brake feel.

* I'd love to see pics of your RX7 Reverse V-Mount Intercooler setup...How much did the IC run ya?

It's actually mounted as a regular front-mount. The way the intercooler's end tanks are set-up made it very very easy to install. I followed the instructions on Grant's Cosmo page and with the help of a mate, it was very very easy to install. Here is a picture of the exact intercooler i used from Grant's page..

intercooler1.JPG

The first improvement i noticed was better cruising. The car seemed to be able to maintain rev's better when going up hill etc. I also noticed some boost spikes after installation, so you'll need to re-tune your boost controller somewhat.

If I had the cash, I would get a better quality cooler in the future as this one is a little heavy (7KG)

* How was the Greddy Emanage Ultimate tuned...On the Dyno or Street or both? How does it run with this setup...100% Streetable?

Its installed but not tuned yet. I managed to get a plug and play harness from Boomslang fabrication in the USA. It's a piggy back system so cold start etc will all remain intact.

* Second turbo...Why did it go bust? Age? Too much boost?

From what I can tell, the previous owner had something pierce their air filter and get sent into the turbine wheels. The turbo facing the front of the car has a bent fin and the rear one just smokes when it comes online. The car is still driveable at the moment, it just isn't getting more that 6psi at the moment. :(

While I am waiting for the T51R I am going to put another set of factory units on it (lucky i bought spares!)

I have been looking for some aftermarket under car braces for the Cosmo. I came across these on a yahoo japan image search but I cannot find who the manufacturer is...

cosmoundercarbrace.jpg

Does anyone have any clues? Im thinking Auto-Exe but I can't find anything on there page.

I have been looking for some aftermarket under car braces for the Cosmo. I came across these on a yahoo japan image search but I cannot find who the manufacturer is...

cosmoundercarbrace.jpg

Does anyone have any clues? Im thinking Auto-Exe but I can't find anything on there page.

It does look like AutoEXE braces.. I'll ask someone I know about this.. He deals with AutoEXE.

Berty,

I've contacted Paul from Mazmart (official AutoEXE dealer here in USA) and he's going to check it out. I'll find out what the price is and I'm sure they could ship it to you as it will have to come from japan.

depending on the price im also interested in the braces.

Do they have anything in regards to upgraded suspension??
preferably not coilovers, also any sway bars etc?

anything at all.

Thanks

Big Thanks for responding to all my questions...(2thumbs)

Berty said:
They are specifically for the JC Cosmo which is good!
Australian roads are pretty crap so the coilovers do feel pretty rough, however I would imagine that the roads in Japan are a lot better. If you do go with the JIC's then get helper springs for the front and rear. I have got linear springs.

Despite sacrificing comfort, the car is a different beast with them. Much more stable during high speed cornering and better brake feel.

(cool)...Yeah, I've heard the EC benefits big time from coilovers...I've got an SX with Autoexe springs at the moment and it does provide a nice blend between handling & comfort...However, I would like to tighten up the suspension a bit for mountain runs and highspeed highway cruising etc.

I'll keep the JICs in mind but if I come across a set of new Autoexe EC coilovers somewhere...I'll probably go with those for their balance between ride comfort & handling (I've heard)...I'd imagine the JICs are designed more for pure handling than anything else.

Will see...;)

Berty said:
It's actually mounted as a regular front-mount. The way the intercooler's end tanks are set-up made it very very easy to install. I followed the instructions on Grant's Cosmo page and with the help of a mate, it was very very easy to install. Here is a picture of the exact intercooler i used from Grant's page..

intercooler1.JPG

The first improvement i noticed was better cruising. The car seemed to be able to maintain rev's better when going up hill etc. I also noticed some boost spikes after installation, so you'll need to re-tune your boost controller somewhat.

If I had the cash, I would get a better quality cooler in the future as this one is a little heavy (7KG)

Nice...I've frequented Grant's site plenty of times...Seems like a great quick and easy way to upgrade the FMIC...Thanks for the feedback on the mod...I've been looking into going with an ARC FMIC but now I may have a better option via my Mazda Dealer friend...He knows of a local/regional radiator shop that the Dealer uses that can make high quality hand fabricated aluminum cooling setups for a reasonable price.

Apparently, not only can they make a custom radiator for my Cosmo but an intercooler and tranny cooler as well...I may get all three done at the same time if they can offer a good deal!

Berty said:
Its installed but not tuned yet. I managed to get a plug and play harness from Boomslang fabrication in the USA. It's a piggy back system so cold start etc will all remain intact.

Cool...Keep us updated! (thumb)

cosmoundercarbrace.jpg

It does look like AutoEXE braces.. I'll ask someone I know about this.. He deals with AutoEXE.

Berty,

I've contacted Paul from Mazmart (official AutoEXE dealer here in USA) and he's going to check it out. I'll find out what the price is and I'm sure they could ship it to you as it will have to come from japan.

Nice find...I believe I may have seen these braces installed before on some Japanese Cosmo owner's site...I would love to have a set myself as I plan on tightening up the body & chassis one way or another...Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure Autoexe hardly offers, stocks or even makes EC parts anymore...Except for a few parts here & there (intake, battery etc).

Every year I look at the new Autoexe catalog at my Mazda Dealer and there are fewer & fewer parts available for the EC...Especially over the past couple years.

My Mazda Dealer sells and installs Autoexe goodies on a regular basis...I'll ask about these braces...They may not make them anymore but there may be some "old-new" stock out there via various vendors on the net.

anything at all.

Thanks

They may still offer springs but it doesn't seem like they offer much in the way of suspension upgrades these days...For the Cosmo that is...:(

Who knows though...If there is enough demand...They may bring some of these parts back into production...At least on a limited basis...:)

anything at all.

Thanks

I would be up for some swaybars also. Maybe because we are local, we could try and get a group deal for two sets to be made locally?

Big Thanks for responding to all my questions...(2thumbs)

(cool)...Yeah, I've heard the EC benefits big time from coilovers...I've got an SX with Autoexe springs at the moment and it does provide a nice blend between handling & comfort...However, I would like to tighten up the suspension a bit for mountain runs and highspeed highway cruising etc.

I'll keep the JICs in mind but if I come across a set of new Autoexe EC coilovers somewhere...I'll probably go with those for their balance between ride comfort & handling (I've heard)...I'd imagine the JICs are designed more for pure handling than anything else.

Will see...;)

I do think that the JIC's are too firm for most people. However as it is a large car, I think that 10KG springs in the front and 6KG in the rear would be a good compromise, but probably still too stiff for some. My Cosmo isn't daily driven and I intend doing rack work with it eventually, so that is why comfort isn't at the top of my list.

Nice...I've frequented Grant's site plenty of times...Seems like a great quick and easy way to upgrade the FMIC...Thanks for the feedback on the mod...I've been looking into going with an ARC FMIC but now I may have a better option via my Mazda Dealer friend...He knows of a local/regional radiator shop that the Dealer uses that can make high quality hand fabricated aluminum cooling setups for a reasonable price.

Apparently, not only can they make a custom radiator for my Cosmo but an intercooler and tranny cooler as well...I may get all three done at the same time if they can offer a good deal!

Cool...Keep us updated! (thumb)

The only thing that I wouldn't worry about is the large radiator. Simply because it will takes ages for the engine to get to operating temp if you retain the clutch fan. I would recommend if you are going to upgrade the radiator, remove the clutch fan and run twin thermo's which operate off a thermostat.

I have a friend that put a large radiator on his car and suffers from terrible fuel consumption as a result. The engine never reaches the right operating temps. This is mainly because he is still running the clutch fan....

Nice find...I believe I may have seen these braces installed before on some Japanese Cosmo owner's site...I would love to have a set myself as I plan on tightening up the body & chassis one way or another...Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure Autoexe hardly offers, stocks or even makes EC parts anymore...Except for a few parts here & there (intake, battery etc).

Every year I look at the new Autoexe catalog at my Mazda Dealer and there are fewer & fewer parts available for the EC...Especially over the past couple years.

My Mazda Dealer sells and installs Autoexe goodies on a regular basis...I'll ask about these braces...They may not make them anymore but there may be some "old-new" stock out there via various vendors on the net.

I could get these made locally, but it would mean having the Cosmo off the road for a while. If the Autoexe ones are no longer available then I will look into this option seriously.

Berty said:
I do think that the JIC's are too firm for most people. However as it is a large car, I think that 10KG springs in the front and 6KG in the rear would be a good compromise, but probably still too stiff for some. My Cosmo isn't daily driven and I intend doing rack work with it eventually, so that is why comfort isn't at the top of my list.

Valuable input...I would expect that the JIC would be stiff for the street...I'm going for the "balanced" approach and I hear the AutoExe coilovers are designed for that balance between street and track...:) It all depends if I can find a set...:(

Berty said:
The only thing that I wouldn't worry about is the large radiator. Simply because it will takes ages for the engine to get to operating temp if you retain the clutch fan. I would recommend if you are going to upgrade the radiator, remove the clutch fan and run twin thermo's which operate off a thermostat.

I have a friend that put a large radiator on his car and suffers from terrible fuel consumption as a result. The engine never reaches the right operating temps. This is mainly because he is still running the clutch fan....

Thanks for the heads up...I know first hand that it takes a decent amount of time for the 20B to properly warm up...Especially in winter...In my case, an upgraded radiator would help in "around town" driving and in traffic...I mentioned your concern to my Dealer friend and he mentioned that the optimum temp range for the 20B should be around 90*c~110*c (194*f ~ 230*f) and that in his case...He would consider covering part of the radiator with some sort of temporary covering to acheive the optimum temp depending on the season.

This is definitely an important issue...The next time I see my friend...I'll discuss the idea of running "external" fans off the thermostat.

Berty said:
I could get these made locally, but it would mean having the Cosmo off the road for a while. If the Autoexe ones are no longer available then I will look into this option seriously.

I plan on bringing back the Cosmo to continue upgrades soon...I'll ask my Dealer friend if he can check on these braces...If they are no longer available, I would also consider an alternative set!

Keep us updated! :D

I got bored this weekend so I did some more work on the Cosmo.

I bought some original Ganador mirrors for the Cosmo a while back but had been too lazy to fit them. Also, a friend sold me some speakers so I decided to take the door cards off and kill two birds with one stone.

The speakers where a Kenwood 2 Way 5" system that where removed from the wreck of a JZX100 Chaser. Previous to this, I had already installed a new head unit and run proper gauge wires into the doors so most of the hard work had been done. I am still yet to do the rear speakers but they are most definitely an improvement on the tired factory units.

The Ganador mirrors where extremely easy to wire up and install. Three bolts attach the mirrors to the door and then two cables inside the door are used for mirror folding and movement. A note to others wanting to do this - make sure that you run the wires the right way around the window runners.

The Gandaors when installed cover part of the chrome stripping and they make the car definitely look less like a luxury car, but in a good way.

Anopther problems was found with the Cosmo; a white gunk had built up over the bonnet lining and the fron of the engine. I am pretty sure that it is the radiator cap which has been leaking under extreme pressure so I have decided to replace the 15 year old unit with a new Buddy Club 1.3Bar cap. I have my fingers crossed that it is not the radiators end tanks, but If it is it will just mean it is time to go to thermo fans and a Koyo radiator.

Next up was a complete flush of the automatic transmission. My trans had started to behave irrationally; sometimes holding gears for too long and other times not going back into first gear when coming to a full stop. Luckily, the car only does about 20Km's per month so I was able to fix the problem before it blew out of hand.

Myself and a mate drained the cars transmission by disconnecting the auto hoses from the radiator and then starting the engine (Thanks DMRH). This spits out most of the fluid but you still need to run it up and down the gears to get out the rest. Turns out that the box only had about 7L of fluid in it and it was really bad. It was dark brown and full of contamination. I used about 14L of fluid to flush it and once done, it was so much smoother and more predictable.

On Sunday,the Cosmo and I where much happier! (cabpatch)

cosmoganadors.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the detailed update! (2thumbs)

I got bored this weekend so I did some more work on the Cosmo.

I bought some original Ganador mirrors for the Cosmo a while back but had been too lazy to fit them. Also, a friend sold me some speakers so I decided to take the door cards off and kill two birds with one stone.

(cool) I've seen those mirrors on Cosmos on the net before and I dig 'em...Nice to see them installed...Lookin' good! (thumb)

Berty said:
The Gandaors when installed cover part of the chrome stripping and they make the car definitely look less like a luxury car, but in a good way.

Interesting point...If you're going for that "sports car" look than I would agree...Those mirrors are a good match! :D

Berty said:
Anopther problems was found with the Cosmo; a white gunk had built up over the bonnet lining and the fron of the engine. I am pretty sure that it is the radiator cap which has been leaking under extreme pressure so I have decided to replace the 15 year old unit with a new Buddy Club 1.3Bar cap. I have my fingers crossed that it is not the radiators end tanks, but If it is it will just mean it is time to go to thermo fans and a Koyo radiator.

Good info...Keep an eye on those end tanks...One of the primary reasons I'm planning on upgrading to a full custom aluminum setup...The factory radiator has been working well so far but I don't want to worry about those tanks going...(eek2)

Berty said:
Next up was a complete flush of the automatic transmission.

Myself and a mate drained the cars transmission by disconnecting the auto hoses from the radiator and then starting the engine (Thanks DMRH). This spits out most of the fluid but you still need to run it up and down the gears to get out the rest. Turns out that the box only had about 7L of fluid in it and it was really bad. It was dark brown and full of contamination. I used about 14L of fluid to flush it and once done, it was so much smoother and more predictable.

Good call...That's one of the first things I had done when I picked up my EC and started driving it...Tranny fluid change...Your EC thanks you...(thumb)

Berty said:
On Sunday,the Cosmo and I where much happier! (cabpatch)

cosmoganadors.jpg

Lookin' sharp...(woowoo)

Berty your cosmo looks great, i like the series 6 wheels , they suit the car nicely.

(werd)

Nice! So, do they make Ganador mirrors specifically for the Cosmo?

Good question...I've seen them on Cosmos on the net quite a bit...If they did...Are they still available?

Berty your cosmo looks great, i like the series 6 wheels , they suit the car nicely.

Thanks mate!

The car is soon to have Works Gartmaier 18x10 and 18x9 rims put on. I am going to need to have the guards mildly rolled and flared though.

Nice! So, do they make Ganador mirrors specifically for the Cosmo?

Yes, and from what I know they are still available brand new. I believe that they are around the 44,000 YEN mark.

Thanks for the detailed update! (2thumbs)

(cool) I've seen those mirrors on Cosmos on the net before and I dig 'em...Nice to see them installed...Lookin' good! (thumb)

Interesting point...If you're going for that "sports car" look than I would agree...Those mirrors are a good match! :D

Thanks mate! You don't realize how tiny these mirrors are until you see them in comparison to the originals.

Good info...Keep an eye on those end tanks...One of the primary reasons I'm planning on upgrading to a full custom aluminum setup...The factory radiator has been working well so far but I don't want to worry about those tanks going...(eek2)

Just as I was reading this, my Buddy Club radiator cap arrived. Time to do some testing (shady)

Good question...I've seen them on Cosmos on the net quite a bit...If they did...Are they still available?

You can buy them brand new through Yahoo Japan. I am not usually a fan of improving looks before performance, however the pair I got where second hand and a very good price so I decided not to miss the opportunity.

Last edited:
Back