Bad experiene with Mazda CX-5

True. I have known people who never got their oil changed. They did not know you needed to do that.

I might have told this story before, but I worked with a guy that never changed the oil in his Company car.
Eventually the engine blew, and the dealer (and the Company) refused to pay for the repair.
He had to pay for a new engine out of his own pocket. No sympathy there. Hopefully lesson learned.

OP is talking about the SkyActiv-D diesel. In fact we have had quite a few posts mentioned this no-warning over-heating problem from several countries especially in the hot and humid regions. Mazda hasnt figured out how to resolve the issue and has stopped selling the popular CX-5 diesel such as in Taiwan. The main problem to Mazda is why theres no overheating warning until its too late. And yes for gen-1 CX-5 theres no coolant temperature gauge but just a warning light.

2.2 diesel head gasket ?

Blown head gasket for CX-5 Diesel

Blown radiator, head, head gasket

This is the interwebs. You cannot believe everything you read. A lot of drive by posters can come on and complain about anything to make it sound like the vehicles are junk.

One posters experience is not indicative of a huge problem yet that is how its perceived.

Ireland/UK is not a hot climate, and cracked engine block is not usually a result of overheating. Head issues from overheating.

OP says no indication of overheating alert, so maybe poor coolant maintenance and it froze and cracked block?

Ireland/UK is not a hot climate, and cracked engine block is not usually a result of overheating. Head issues from overheating.

OP says no indication of overheating alert, so maybe poor coolant maintenance and it froze and cracked block?

Seems we can speculate all day, OP will let us know who they think is right next year.

Hello all. I'm the person who put up the original post on the CX-5 engine cracking problem. Yes it was posted out of bitterness of course as anyone would be bitter having to replace the entire engine of a modern car just 5 years old and 72km on the clock. Also I don't have a lot of time to log back into forums to follow up on posts as I run my own engineering business and have recently built my own house. The post was completely accurate and true and put up just to inform others as a conscious consumer. So just to answer some of the queries posted.
1. Is it a common issue with Diesel Skyactive engines - Yes certainly just google cracked skyactive engines. There is a local garage here in my city of Cork (not a huge city 400k people) the garage just rebuilds 7-8 Skyactive engines a week and has a waiting list of some weeks.
2. My CX-5 had a full up to date service history from my local Mazda dealer - That engine was well looked after
3. I drove both long and short distances routinely so it was not a purging cycle related
4. Ireland is a temperate climate it's never too hot nor too cold so coolant was not the issue
5. Mazda UK or Ireland were not helpful in good will after warranty - Head in the sand was pretty much the response
My bad luck was extended as the local mazda dealer advised it was better to get a replacement engine from a Mazda taken off the road for damage then to try and rebuild the current engine and all the parts so we did that. 6 months later that engine cracked again. I got a light warning this time alright I was driving only at 90km on a motorway. This is how I came across this other local guy (Not a Mazda dealer) that is rebuilding 7/8 of these engines a week. His view is the engines are just not designed to handle the stresses they have tuned them for. Period.
I hope this answers some of the remarks. I'll check back again at some point to follow up if anybody has anything else they'd like to know.
Regards

Back