Awesome 3rd. party summary of why CX5 (way back in 2013/2014)

bmninada

Contributor
:
2016 CX-5 AWD GT+iActive Soul Red
I really wanted to share this. It's an honest to Earth comment.

Actual review: http://www.caranddriver.com/compari...ng-performance-data-and-complete-specs-page-5

Comments section of the review:

My girlfriend was recently looking for a new crossover. She had a 1998 Forester which she had bought new. She drives around 20,000 miles a year and lives in Massachusetts. And AWD compact crossover is her only choice.
Her 1998 Forester had 235,000 miles on it and was still doing well...but it was time. We went to the Subaru dealer to buy a 2014 Forester and do the perfunctory test drive. Both of us drove the Forester and we were clearly underwhelmed...especially because of the CVT.

She thanked the salesman and didn't buy a Forester that day. Then she started doing additional research. What she learned was that she didn't want a CVT. She obviously keeps her cars a long time, and felt that she didn't want to be a guinea pig for CVT reliability. She spoke with three Subaru service departments, who gave her an average of $7800 to replace the CVT. She then crossed the Forester off of her list...and she went in with the idea of buying the Forester.

She is still driving her 1998 Forester but has now driven the Mazda CX-5, Honda CRV and Toyota RAV4. She loves the comfort of the CRV, but is not a fan of the road manners. She crossed the RAV4 off of her list. It didn't thrill her. She does love the Mazda CX-5 and at this point, will probably replace her Forester with the Mazda.

What she doesn't like a about the CX-5 is the road noise, which she thinks is a little too pronounced. She said she would be willing to chop a few MPGs off of the Mazda for better insulation and thicker laminated windows. But she loves the road manners, handling, and seat comfort.

The compact crossover market is all about compromises. She definitely would have bought the Subaru if hit had come with a 4, 5, or 6-speed slushbox. The car companies don't care about longevity and obviously want to simply make it through the warranty period. For somebody who is looking for longevity and reliability, the CVT won't cut it. Just look at Ford and Nissan's mess with CVT's. Nissan extended the CVT warranty to 120,000 miles on previous-generation CVT's, but are running a shell game, according to the many forums about Nissan not honoring claims. Not good.

Resale is an unimportant factor for my girlfriend because she will keep the car for 15 years. The CX-5 Touring is about $25,000. It really doesn't matter how much she gets for it in 15 years and 200,000-plus miles later. What matters is that she isn't hit with an $8,000 CVT replacement bill.

Subaru, you have made a huge mistake going to CVT.

AFAIK, Subaru doesn't have issues with their CVT's. Not to mention, it's not a $8000 replacement. I see around $1500 on eBay.

ew, I have transmission problem with 2015 cx5 touring right now. I will be going to dealership next week for it and the recall. When I shift from R to D there are 2-3 seconds delay which led to when I kindly push the gas the car will jerk forward. Also, when you are about 25 miles per hour, the gears shift is really hard like you hit brake or someone hits you from back. I do found few cases here and on the internet, and they all got transmission replaced and problem gone. I like Mazda, they really care about out issues during warranty. I agree with your wife, poor sound insulation(wind noise is crazy), lots gap in car interior. I know it is not a expensive car, but they really do need to work on it.

ew, I have transmission problem with 2015 cx5 touring right now. I will be going to dealership next week for it and the recall. When I shift from R to D there are 2-3 seconds delay which led to when I kindly push the gas the car will jerk forward. Also, when you are about 25 miles per hour, the gears shift is really hard like you hit brake or someone hits you from back. I do found few cases here and on the internet, and they all got transmission replaced and problem gone. I like Mazda, they really care about out issues during warranty. I agree with your wife, poor sound insulation(wind noise is crazy), lots gap in car interior. I know it is not a expensive car, but they really do need to work on it.

The CX-5 has virtually no sound insulation except for 2016, which got a paltry 9 pounds. Some rather myopic people (I say this, because really, the CX-5 is a joke performance-wise, but it does make a nice little commuter) opine than 30-40# of sound deadening would just KILL the car's "performance", but I personally think Mazda handed Honda and Toyota a fair amount of customers for no reason by not including it.

Your transmission issue sounds like a tuning/adjustment of software problem, not necessarily a bad transmission. Dealer should handle up on it in short order though.

The CX-5 has virtually no sound insulation except for 2016, which got a paltry 9 pounds. Some rather myopic people (I say this, because really, the CX-5 is a joke performance-wise, but it does make a nice little commuter) opine than 30-40# of sound deadening would just KILL the car's "performance", but I personally think Mazda handed Honda and Toyota a fair amount of customers for no reason by not including it.

Your transmission issue sounds like a tuning/adjustment of software problem, not necessarily a bad transmission. Dealer should handle up on it in short order though.

Not sure but my 2016 is definitely quiet! I have driven back to back a RAV4, brand new and my car which is +3 months old. I felt CX5 to be quieter and the lady who bought the RAV4 said so, too. I did hear that CRV is even more quieter but I seriously doubt it. The issue here is the tires (OEM) really sucks .. these TOYO 19". All I hear is the horrible tire noise.
I remember doing extensive research on this since in my family I have a problem with 1 person who wakes up due to even small noise. Anyways, I distinctly remember I found CX5 to be second only in comparison to the X5 and Macan which had a $3000 sound insulation package/glass or something ... (which i drove purely for assessment).

Last edited:
We have both a 2015 CRV (her's) and 2016 CX5 (mine). Road noise is about the same, but not bad in either (my 2014 Mazda 3 was ridiculously loud). The Mazda seems to have a rattle in the rear, but the CRVs Windows rattle like crazy when partially down. Plus the CRV has the weird vibrations when the RPMs get below 700.

I also hate the seats in the CRV. It's like sitting on high school bleachers. Both get decent gas mileage. The CX5 feels much more secure in snow and slush, particularly on inclines. The CX5 on 19" rims actually has about the same ride feel as the CRV on 17"-ers. Only bad highway/bridge joints showcase the minor difference of the bigger rims.

The Honda wins as a more utilitarian vehicle. Whereas the CX5 wins as far as driving experience and mostly finer interior bits. The Hondas dash is hideous. The Mazda seems upscale, along with the sleek minimalist stereo/hvac controls.

Not sure but my 2016 is definitely quiet! I have driven back to back a RAV4, brand new and my car which is +3 months old. I felt CX5 to be quieter and the lady who bought the RAV4 said so, too. I did hear that CRV is even more quieter but I seriously doubt it. The issue here is the tires (OEM) really sucks .. these TOYO 19". All I hear is the horrible tire noise.
I remember doing extensive research on this since in my family I have a problem with 1 person who wakes up due to even small noise. Anyways, I distinctly remember I found CX5 to be second only in comparison to the X5 and Macan which had a $3000 sound insulation package/glass or something ... (which i drove purely for assessment).

Sounds like Mazda did a solid with that 9# of insulation, then! I don't have factory tires anymore, and yeah, they were loud.

Not sure but my 2016 is definitely quiet! I have driven back to back a RAV4, brand new and my car which is +3 months old. I felt CX5 to be quieter and the lady who bought the RAV4 said so, too. I did hear that CRV is even more quieter but I seriously doubt it. The issue here is the tires (OEM) really sucks .. these TOYO 19".

Tires are, no doubt, a big factor in how much road noise you notice. But don't discount other simple things like some nice thick rubber all-weather floor mats. I have the OEM ones along with the OEM 17" Geolanders on my 2013 AWD and I don't find the road noise loud vs. other cars. I think the 4 thick rubber floor mats really help (but I've never tested it without the mats in place).

I suppose I should/could have measured, but I thought a 2016 CR-V LX FWD Auto was noisier than my 2015 CX-5 GT AWD. The noise kicked the CR-V off my list.

our CX5 is noisy too (engine and cabin noise). I wonder what cars did you guys own before the CX5? .....

our CX5 is noisy too (engine and cabin noise). I wonder what cars did you guys own before the CX5? .....

I have a Volvo S80 T6. It's Volvo's top of the line 4 door sedan and it's a little quieter than the CX-5 but my CX-5 is by no means loud. Most cars in it's class are roughly comparable.

I'm guessing you have the 19" Toyo's and don't have the heavy rubber Mazda All-weather Floor Mats. And the 2.5L engine probably is slightly louder than the 2.0L.

My CX-5 replaced a '01 Ford Escape so it's easy to be quieter than a 15 year old vehicle. I don't find engine noise to be objectionable. For me, the tires are the weak link. I just switched back to my 19" Toyo's after spending the winter on Michelin Latitude X-Ice Xi2's. The Toyo's are definitely noisier. It surprised me that a winter tire would be quieter than an all-season one. Doesn't speak well for the Toyo's.

My CX-5 replaced a '01 Ford Escape so it's easy to be quieter than a 15 year old vehicle. I don't find engine noise to be objectionable. For me, the tires are the weak link. I just switched back to my 19" Toyo's after spending the winter on Michelin Latitude X-Ice Xi2's. The Toyo's are definitely noisier. It surprised me that a winter tire would be quieter than an all-season one. Doesn't speak well for the Toyo's.

Toyo sucks. I had them purged and N2 filled in Costco recently. Those guys @ Costco are decent folks and are Michelin trained. 1 look and they showed me how much trend is left. I had my tires over-inflated to 39 and even to me it was visible how much trend is missing from the middle section of the tires. This, after 4k miles.

Maybe we have different tolerance then. Yup the older car you have before and then jumping to CX5 will be quieter.

I have all season mats too because I'm in the midwest (guess everyone too) and it doesn't make a huge difference. Maybe Mike knows something we don't. Hehe. We can apply for sound insulation engineer on any car manufacturer and just tell them put all season mats because it decreases the noise! Oh yay!!!:D(naughty)

I have all season mats too because I'm in the midwest (guess everyone too) and it doesn't make a huge difference. Maybe Mike knows something we don't. Hehe. We can apply for sound insulation engineer on any car manufacturer and just tell them put all season mats because it decreases the noise! Oh yay!!!:D(naughty)

Actually, I just tested it today. Took a 65 mph run on asphalt, threw the 4 mats in the back and did the same section of road at the same speed. The All-weather mats definitely make the cabin significantly quieter. then I re-installed the mats and did it again. Considerably less road noise.

Of course this is not surprising considering most road noise comes from.... yup, the road under the car!

Actually, I just tested it today. Took a 65 mph run on asphalt, threw the 4 mats in the back and did the same section of road at the same speed. The All-weather mats definitely make the cabin significantly quieter. then I re-installed the mats and did it again. Considerably less road noise.

Define " the cabin significantly quieter" and "considerable less road noise". Did you calibrate a decibel meter and measure the difference? Did you have a Mazda engineer in the passenger seat? If anyone else posted that, this would have been you response to their subjectivity lol.

Back