New to the forum...Looking at a 2020 CX-5 Touring NA

Thanks for the add to the forum. I have been a Toyota guy all my life and now looking to buy a Mazda. Just sold my wife's Toyota 4Runner and she is wanting another car. We have been looking at the Rav4's but those seem to have a lot of transmission issues. Started looking at several different cars and saw the CX-5. Looks like a decent car and seems to have a lot more features and better quality than the Rav4. Looking at a used 2020 CX-5 Touring NA with 92K on the clock. My questions is what are the goods and bads and what should I be looking out for? Any common issues I should know about before diving into these? From my internet search this car seems to be pretty reliable and good for many miles. Any years better than others? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

The 2018 to 2024 CX5's are not that great in terms of reliability. Do not go with the consumer reports or JD power. They are full of crap.
I don't know whether the 2020 CX5 Touring is a turbo or not, but if its a naturally aspirated engine, then prepare your mind for an anticipated/might have crack at position 3 of the cylinder block.
That car ran out of warranty, so create a corpus of an additional $7k to $10k if the issue crops up.
If I were you, I would prefer a used turbo or pre 2018 models. Good luck.

The 2018 to 2024 CX5's are not that great in terms of reliability.
nonsense
Do not go with the consumer reports or JD power. They are full of crap.
true
I don't know whether the 2020 CX5 Touring is a turbo or not,
but if its a naturally aspirated engine, then prepare your mind for an anticipated/might have crack at position 3 of the cylinder block.
Nonsense
That car ran out of warranty, so create a corpus of an additional $7k to $10k if the issue crops up.
If I were you, I would prefer a used turbo or pre 2018 models. Good luck.

There are a plethora of Mazda Skyactiv owners who have well over 300,000KM on their vehicles, some with upwards of 600,000km on original drivetrain and no issues.

My 307,000KM Mazda 6 with the same drivetrain as the CX-5 (Non-Turbo) still has many of its original parts intact working strong. It is fully tuned for 91 octane. I average almost 50MPG with it if I try. These are some of the most well built cars you will find on the market.

Try to go for a Japanese built CX-5 if you can. Pay attention for excessive soot run off on the exhaust tips. They should be mostly clean.

Thanks for the add to the forum. I have been a Toyota guy all my life and now looking to buy a Mazda. Just sold my wife's Toyota 4Runner and she is wanting another car. We have been looking at the Rav4's but those seem to have a lot of transmission issues. Started looking at several different cars and saw the CX-5. Looks like a decent car and seems to have a lot more features and better quality than the Rav4. Looking at a used 2020 CX-5 Touring NA with 92K on the clock. My questions is what are the goods and bads and what should I be looking out for? Any common issues I should know about before diving into these? From my internet search this car seems to be pretty reliable and good for many miles. Any years better than others? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
I would look for a 2021, if possible. Much better infotainment and backup camer. Just my 2 cent.

Don't listen to the guys who wrote the words "hogwash" and "non-sense". They couldn't add anything valuable apart from using those words.

There is a whole thread on this forum which is filled with information on cracked cylinder head issues for the models ranging from 2018. Below is the link

Not saying that you will face it, but be prepared if the worst comes.

I have two CX5s.
'17 2.5NA (no CD), and '22 2.5T (Turbo == noCD)
Both have been very reliable.

2020 CX-5 Touring NA with 92K on the clock
The advantage of getting a used car is that all its issues are well known
ALL cars have recalls, and if you look around - Mazda recalls are so minor compared to some others
Yes the bigger issue 2020 non-turbo had were those engine issues, but many of them happened at around 20-30k and had been addressed
If a 92k mi car runs fine there's a good chance cylinder head has been replaced already, or is not from the bad batch who knows
Check service history
Just IMO

ALSO check if rear brake pads are worn unevenly :)

Last edited:
Yes, the Mazda with the 2.5l sky, active engine, more precisely with cylinder deactivation solenoid causing engines Fail. But as mentioned above, these type of issues tend to show themselves within 20k to 40k miles, which is still under the factory warranty.

I understand Mazda produced a couple of Mazda cx-5 without C/D four-cylinder minus the cylinder deactivation. got a double check the forms to see what years we are four-cylinder without C/D.

Other than that, the car has been foolproof ( have two Mazda, CX five relatively new both with four cylinder deactivation and neither has C/D fail and caused to be replaced Both have over 40 K miles with no engine issues.

Now for me I test drove four-cylinder and I felt it was anemic and so I test drove the Mazda CX five turbo, regular gas it was a wrap.

Just FYI, the four-cylinder gets better, gas mileage, but not by much compared to the four cylinder turbo as long as you can stay out of boost.

My car is really in good shape and haven’t had any issues. That again I purchased my car CPO, which is good till hundred thousand miles and if you’re that concerned about the C/D failure might be a good idea to get certified preowned to protect yourself.

A Mazda cx-5 four-cylinder with 90+ thousand mileage, it seems that it’s not being affected by C/D.

Last edited:
Mine is a 2020 CX-5 Grand Touring, premium package. 2.5 L NA. Knock on wood but never had any major issues. The infotainment restarts once in a while but I guess that's because of the extreme heat, touchscreen ghosting issues and the folding mirrors will stop working properly after some time. I learned to cope with these problems and I am not really bothered anymore. I would buy the same car if I had to do it again.

Back