Are there any non Mazda brands of oil filter for the newer CX-5 with turbo?

Will try and use the Mazda brand if I can, but are there any others that are the correct fit for the Turbo?
We've got plenty of Oreily's , Advanced Auto, etc around here, but I think they list the turbo and non turbo as using the same filter.
Oh, I plan on using Mobil 1 5w30, which is easy to find.

I’d stick with OEM. I’m personally ok using filters rated for multiple vehicles, but I wouldn’t risk it with a turbo. Here is our most informative thread: Oil filter won't fit

Im fine using the Mobil and Fram Ultra on the 2.0 and 2.5 liter (I’ve been using Bosch Premium filters that I scored for like $3 a pop years ago), but something gives me the creeps with using that on the turbo. I disagree with Yrwei somewhat regarding the Mazda 2 and Mazda CX-5 warning, but there’s some wisdom there. You shouldn’t use the filter that was designed for the Mazda 2 on a Mazda with a larger engine, that is obvious and that makes sense. But it should work fine in reverse imo as a filter for a larger engine won’t restrict the needs of a smaller engine. Closest analogy I can think of is a revolver. You can’t shoot 357 Magnum in a 38 Special revolver, but you can shoot 38 Special in the larger 357 Magnum. The larger caliber is designed for higher pressures. But how different are the turbo filter specs? I don’t know if the one size fits all filters are too restrictive for turbo applications.

Last edited:
Will try and use the Mazda brand if I can, but are there any others that are the correct fit for the Turbo?
We've got plenty of Oreily's , Advanced Auto, etc around here, but I think they list the turbo and non turbo as using the same filter.
Oh, I plan on using Mobil 1 5w30, which is easy to find.
Other than it fits correctly with correct specs, the MSRP on OEM 1WPY-14-302 oil filter is only $8.93 which is not much more expensive than any after-market oil filters. And many Mazda dealers offer 20% off on parts and give you a free drain plug aluminum washer with the oil filter purchase. There’s no reason not to use OEM oil filter.

most dealer parts depth these days mark up 20-30% from list price. I used to get 30% off for MB parts, then they changed.
now they add 30%, then give me some repeat customer discount - list price is their best, wtf. now I buy everything online.

If you have the patience and time to keep receipts of OEM filter purchases and write down the mileage on them then keep in a file folder you have good evidence when selling the car that you properly maintained the vehicle. Down the line when you are selling the car you will have a better chance at getting more money for it. At least from my experiences. A few dollars every oil change could be worth hundreds or more when selling later down the line.

Who wouldn't want to buy a used car with a file folder full of proof that the proper oil and filter was used at every oil change? Could Literally be the best investment vs future payoff you ever do with a newer vehicle. Hardly anyone keeps a car for long periods and I can't imagine you investing $5-20 in anything in life and making a better return on investment after X years whether that's 1 year or 5 years.

Skip a junk food meal between every oil change if you can't handle the upfront cost lol

Back