Are stock tires really that bad...and if so, your solution?

I realize that there are a zillion threads about tires in this joint, but I'd like to hear some current input. I just bought an '03 P5 with 40K or so on the odometer, and the stock tires are still showing decent tread. I live in Florida, where it doesn't just rain - it gushes. In fact, I'm staring out my office window right now at a downpour adding to an already flooded parking lot. My wife and kids will be in the car most of the time, so I ask you: are the bad reviews of the stock tires overstated, or do they really suck that bad? If so, can you give me 1) a testimonial about their suckiness and 2) your recommendations on a great, reasonably priced rain tire in 205/50/16 trim? I'd especially appreciate insight from folks in rain-sodden locales.

Thanks much.

Last edited:
Baton Rouge, Louisiana here. I didn't think the stock Dunlops were that bad until I replaced them with some Kumho Ecsta ASX tires. It made a huge difference in rain driving and overall handling. Get the Kumhos. They are cheap and you won't be disappointed.

No personal experience with the stockers as my car had Toyo Proxy TPT's when I bought it, but I have read the many, many, many complaints on them.

I know you are in FL but are you looking for a dedicated summer tire or an all-season?

I currently have Kumho AST's (all-season) and they have been great in the dry/wet weather for me since the day I bought them. They suck in the snow, which shouldn't be a problem for you.

I am currently looking at the General Exclaim UHP's (summer) as I bought some winter tires back in the spring. I have read a lot of good reviews on these and there are a few members here running them on their pro's. Plus the prices wont break the bank.

1) your tires are about 5 years old now. That alone is almost cause for replacement. Couple in that they have 40,000 miles on them and it's definitely time to replace them. Tires can wear out one of two ways, and sometimes a combination of the 2- 1) age: tires dry out, especially those exposed to the elements. That Florida sun you guys have down there isn't exactly very forgiving. Over time, the tread becomes harder and harder due to exposure to heat and sunlight. A hard tire is really the last thing you want since a tire is your only link to the ground when driving. A hard tire will handle especially bad in rain and snow. 2) wear. I don't think I really need to expand any further on this.

2) I currently have the General Exclaim UHP tires that CTt3P5 mentioned in the MSP 215/45-17 size on my ES. Rain traction has not been an issue at all with these tires. They seem to be wearing really well too. And their dry grip has been really good too.

I'm trying to reply here, but I keep getting distracted by the galloping glowworm-llama hybrid in mordant's sig.

Thanks for the input. New tires it is.

Last edited:
Yeah, the dumlops should go. Enjoyed a few sets of Kumho ASX, but now spent a wee bit more on Toyo Proxes 4. Bit better grip in all conditions, bit smoother ride, same handling.

Get either, just chuck the 5000's.

(PS- NE Ohio rainforest review)

another good replacement that im now using are the falken fk-452. its a summer tire, but with amazing wet handling.

and yeah, the dunflops sucked. hydroplaned on the highway in the middle of a turn. almost wrecked. not fun

Kumho Tires

I was wondering how often everyone buys their Kumho Ecsta ASX tires? My wife has an 02 Mazda Protege LX and she seems to buy her Kumhos every year, as least two tires a year. She doesn't drive hard or do peel outs. Just wondering what the life of the tires are.

Back