Anyone with a CX-5 turbo see any real difference between primo and regular gas?

I've tried both and have not noticed anything.
I use mainly premo thinking it may prolong the life of the car, but does it?

The 93 octane gains are [virtually] all north of 4000 RPM according to Dave Coleman, Mazda NA's engineer/racer guy.

You rarely will feel it in regular driving and if you have it in non-Sport mode. You either need to be in Sport mode or shift manually.

There are other more technical videos, but you get the gist from Dave Coleman starting at 1:19. 2019 Mazda CX5 2.5 Turbo CUV – More than just more Turbo power - FIRST DRIVE REVIEW

Last edited:
We have not, but it really only makes a difference above 4k RPM. Certainly not worth the extra 60 cents a gal in our area.
Yes. And the premium gas is 70 ~ 80¢ more per gallon on Shell gas I’m using in our area.

I've tried both and have not noticed anything.
I use mainly premo thinking it may prolong the life of the car, but does it?
In official power rating curves, Mazda says it's an "unnecessary spending on premium fuel" by 2.5T owners if they drive mostly under 4,000 rpm, because the power curves are exactly the same between using 87 and 93 octan from 0~4,000 rpm.

AD898867-74FB-47A6-8A8C-F974D5552D33.png

The 93 octane gains are all north of 4000 RPM according to Dave Coleman, Mazda NA's engineer/racer guy….
That’s true only so far, since he’s talking about WOT power on the dyno, not real-world driving. The engine doesn’t know what fuel you put in, only that if it detects detonation it cuts back ignition timing/power. 87 octane fuel will cause detonation under conditions where 91/93 will not so its use can reduce power. This doesn’t happen only at WOT but can happen any time you quickly demand more power at low rpm, even at part throttle. This means during passing, pulling away from a light, etc.

I’ve run back-to-back tanks of 87 and 91 twice in my turbo CE to compare, and I can feel the difference during normal (not WOT) driving at rpm well under 4000 rpm. Disclaimer, this was done in hot weather and I do use a bit more throttle than many do, but there was a subtle, noticeable difference. Whether someone else will feel this, whether it happens in the base engine, or whether it is worth it to others is up to them to decide. But regardless, running 91/93 fuel will not prolong the life of you CX‘s 2.5 engine.

Last edited:
A more important comparison would be jose Cuervo silver vs 87 octane.

Tequila is cheaper than gas in our neck of the woods.

In all fairness, I did try a few tanks of high octane sporadically during first year driving. No discernible difference, feel or improvement. Save the money and buy better booze :)

I drove a 2018 Mazda6 2.5T and only filled it with premium.
I am only using regular in my 2020 CX5...in the usual day to day, I don't notice any difference. I am 95% highway.
During WOT is where you can really notice it. The engine runs out of steam in high RPMs and using regular gas simply amplifies that characteristic.

How's this for another can of worms - any gains from 91 octane over 87, or does it need to be the full enchilada, 93?

How's this for another can of worms - any gains from 91 octane over 87, or does it need to be the full enchilada, 93?

Yes, 91 gives some gains about 4k. I posted about this in an older thread that had the same topic. I only have 91 available to me, and compared tanks of 87 to tanks of 91. My daily commute lets the car see 4k+ at least twice each way. While it isn't "necessary" to run higher octane, I sure enjoy it, which is why I continue to fuel up with 91. It seems that since I can see some gains from 91, you'd also be able to get some gains from 89 vs 87 if you wanted to.

No idea if higher octane by itself results in better long term reliability. Maybe higher octane results in the driver pushing it a little harder, resulting in more "Italian tune-ups", compared to someone who drives like they have a basket of eggs in the front seat. Who knows.

20-80 times improved by something like 0.2 seconds in my testing. One magazine noted zero change in 0-60 times using 93 vs 87.

I have run nothing except 91 octane in my 2019 CX 5 GT Reserve since it was new. 91 octane is the highest available here in California. If I was making a daily freeway commute of a moderate distance each way, I'd probably run 87 octane.

However, I live in the mountains and other than short runs into town to pick up my mail or other errands, I frequently make trips down the highway to the closest large town and then back up again and I like having the maximum power available. Especially when I get behind some flatlander who is doing 25 MPH in a 55 zone and riding their brakes the whole time and I need to make a passing manoeuver. What sucks is our gas prices which are among the highest in the nation. Locally they are $4.99 a gallon and down the hill $4.89 a gallon for 91 octane.

As I said in my other thread over a year ago...it's coming. Profit!
It’s nice that now you have a gas-saving Toyota RAV4 Prime! I tried to find a Prius Prime but there’re very few available, with high markup of course!

It’s nice that now you have a gas-saving Toyota RAV4 Prime! I tried to find a Prius Prime but there’re very few available, with high markup of course!
I also invested in small cap oil stocks mid 2020 and got a healthy 300% return when I cashed out. All of this was foreseeable and is independent of the election outcome, whether people want to admit that or not.

I don't care what anyone says, My CX-5 loves high test. It runs smoother and I get a few more kms per tank. It's not amazing gains but it's noticeable. Especially the 94 Octane. It runs very well.

I don't care what anyone says, My CX-5 loves high test. It runs smoother and I get a few more kms per tank. It's not amazing gains but it's noticeable. Especially the 94 Octane. It runs very well.
Did you replace your 2017 with a 2019+ CX-5 with the turbo?

Back