Anyone with a CX-5 turbo see any real difference between primo and regular gas?

87 octane fuel will cause detonation under conditions where 91/93 will not so its use can reduce power. This doesn’t happen only at WOT but can happen any time you quickly demand more power at low rpm, even at part throttle. This means during passing, pulling away from a light, etc.

I’ve run back-to-back tanks of 87 and 91 twice in my turbo CE to compare, and I can feel the difference during normal (not WOT) driving at rpm well under 4000 rpm.
Well put. I didn't want to get too technical. ;-)

And yeah, I too definitely feel the difference (particular torque response) with on-demand load, even below 4000RPM.

I found it was more important to make sure I was running a top tier fuel than what the octane was. The dealer put in absolutely crap gas and using top tier gas made a massive difference. As long as 93 is a reasonable price I will probably use it, it seems to make it easier to get better gas mileage, but I'm not tracking that other that what the dash says.

That’s true only so far, since he’s talking about WOT power on the dyno, not real-world driving. The engine doesn’t know what fuel you put in, only that if it detects detonation it cuts back ignition timing/power. 87 octane fuel will cause detonation under conditions where 91/93 will not so its use can reduce power. This doesn’t happen only at WOT but can happen any time you quickly demand more power at low rpm, even at part throttle. This means during passing, pulling away from a light, etc.

I’ve run back-to-back tanks of 87 and 91 twice in my turbo CE to compare, and I can feel the difference during normal (not WOT) driving at rpm well under 4000 rpm. Disclaimer, this was done in hot weather and I do use a bit more throttle than many do, but there was a subtle, noticeable difference. Whether someone else will feel this, whether it happens in the base engine, or whether it is worth it to others is up to them to decide. But regardless, running 91/93 fuel will not prolong the life of you CX‘s 2.5 engine.
The engine absolutely does know what fuel you are putting in it. The cpu adjusts everything to make 93 octane run more power, otherwise the difference would be far smaller. These modern engines have dozens of different sensors sending real time info back to the computers so they can adjust everything.

I found it was more important to make sure I was running a top tier fuel than what the octane was. The dealer put in absolutely crap gas and using top tier gas made a massive difference.
Since all of are here because we know at least a little, I'm guessing/hoping you all know that Costco it top tier. Chevron is too expensive for even my limited miles.

Since all of are here because we know at least a little, I'm guessing/hoping you all know that Costco it top tier. Chevron is too expensive for even my limited miles.
Never even seen a Costco. I suspect many here also have not. Its regional. You probably don't even know bout that whataburger.

Never even seen a Costco. I suspect many here also have not. Its regional. You probably don't even know bout that whataburger.
There are 2 Costco's in the town I live in. I'm surprised you don't pass one on your 100+ mile commute.

I've been to Whataburger in TX. I didn't see that they sold gas, though. ;)

I think the point was that if you have a Costco nearby (and a membership), you can go there for top tier gas, enjoy the slightly lower $ per L/g, and enjoy the same benefits as someone who normally fuels up at Shell/Chevron.

I'm guessing/hoping you all know that Costco it top tier. Chevron is too expensive for even my limited miles.
I suggest doing some research into "Top Tier" fuel before wasting your time/money chasing after this branded gas.

There are only 4 states without a Costco - Maine, RI, West Virginia and Wyoming. Texas has 35 of them!

My experience shows that my 2018 CX5 behaves better with 91 from Shell and best with Chevron 91.
Costco may be top tier but I have always have weird experience with their fuel in the summer heat in Arizona. Not that its bad its just the car feels a bit slugish with Costco 91.
It is the cheapest fuel around here though.

The engine doesn’t know what fuel you put in, only that if it detects detonation it cuts back ignition timing/power.

The engine absolutely does know what fuel you are putting in it.

Both are essentially saying the same thing, that the ECU retards/control ignition upon knock detection, whether if it's WOT or not.

CarpeDiem likely means that engine doesn't care what kind of fuel because all it does it adjust/optimize for knock.

crayonbreak likely means that engine does know by inference because it can detect knock based on which octane you put in.

More accurately though, I lean towards CarpeDiem's messaging because the engine really doesn't know if it's 87 gas, 93 gas, diesel, lpg, cng, hydrogen, etc. It just goes by its programming.

For the CX-5, I do feel a difference. In the CX-9, not so much, both 2021 models with the 2.5T. The CX-5 is noticeably punchier and quicker when you stomp the gas. The CX-9 is just heavier and the feel is more refined.

Also, you will notice it more when you go from 93 to 87 as compared to going from 87 to 93.

Last edited:
Back