CX-5 Buying Guide

Hi all, joined up as the CX-5 is high on my shortlist for a replacement car and I have a few questions for those who know the car.

The model I am looking at is the 2017-2019/20 2.0 (petrol) Sport Nav+ auto (UK version). I am interested in the following:

I appreciate the engine is NA but I have been used to turbo's for many years so how does this perform with the auto gearbox?
I believe the cams are chain driven - correct?
I believe the auto 'box is of the torque converter type (Aisin Warner?) - correct?
Is the Infotainment /sat nav system good (mainly the sat nav as I only tend to use the radio otherwise)?
Are map updates easily available or is it an expensive dealer thing?
Is there a Buying Guide anywhere?
Any regular faults or problems to look out for?
Is highish mileage (say 50-60k) likely to bring any problems? (I only do about 5k pa so was not too worried provided it does not lead to any problems).

Thanks for any info and advice available.

The model I am looking at is the 2017-2019/20 2.0 (petrol) Sport Nav+ auto (UK version). I am interested in the following:

Thanks for any info and advice available.

We have a 2019 CX-5 NA NA (both Normally Aspirated AND North America :) )

>I appreciate the engine is NA but I have been used to turbo's for many years so how does this perform with the auto gearbox?
A: It works VERY well and intuitively with the gearbox. Very pleased.

> I believe the cams are chain driven - correct?
A: Correct

> I believe the auto 'box is of the torque converter type (Aisin Warner?) - correct?
A: Yes, it has a torque converter, but with a lockup clutch. I believe Mazda makes it themselves. There's a great informational teardown of the box in a thread here somewhere. I'll update with a link if I can find it,

> Is the Infotainment /sat nav system good (mainly the sat nav as I only tend to use the radio otherwise)?
A: It's great for me, though I don't use Satellite radio. But I'm guessing the US radio is different from yours.

> Are map updates easily available or is it an expensive dealer thing?
A: In the US, you get three years of updates for free, and you update the SDcard yourself on your PC. Don't know if that follows in UK though. There are replacement (updated) cards available online cheaply too.

> Is highish mileage (say 50-60k) likely to bring any problems? (I only do about 5k pa so was not too worried provided it does not lead to any problems).
A: Recent Mazdas have been very reliable as a whole. We now have three in our family, the oldest being a 2014 CX-5 with 220k miles and still running :)

UPDATE: Here is a link for the autobox from just one of @sinistriel@ threads: Skyactiv Drive internal walkthrough If you look through his youtube account, you'll find more

Last edited:
Back