Any 450 to 500hp Mazdaspeed proteges out there?

Thats amazing

igdrasil said:
Well...whoever said 400-500whp is difficult or impossible with less than 7K is wrong.

Here in PR we have a couple FSDE engines running over 600whp, 1 of them was a daily use Protege5 and they only have Pauter rods, Wiseco/JE pistons, ported head (no valve job), regrind cams, balanced crankshaft and modified transmission.

That is not all, right now in this moment, while I build my FSDE, my builder is already working on an auto trans to support 800+whp that his engine is now pushing. The GTX gears are not holding that much power.

The 800+whp FSDE does have a lot of custom job, new cams, larger valves, springs, retainers, crankshaft, pistons, rods, etc.

So far, it has been proven that with the right parts, this engine with STOCK head, some porting on it and on the Intake Mani, can do 600whp.

What kind of wheels/tires do you use with that? Or do those cars just hover

igdrasil said:
Well...whoever said 400-500whp is difficult or impossible with less than 7K is wrong.

Here in PR we have a couple FSDE engines running over 600whp, 1 of them was a daily use Protege5 and they only have Pauter rods, Wiseco/JE pistons, ported head (no valve job), regrind cams, balanced crankshaft and modified transmission.

That is not all, right now in this moment, while I build my FSDE, my builder is already working on an auto trans to support 800+whp that his engine is now pushing. The GTX gears are not holding that much power.

The 800+whp FSDE does have a lot of custom job, new cams, larger valves, springs, retainers, crankshaft, pistons, rods, etc.

So far, it has been proven that with the right parts, this engine with STOCK head, some porting on it and on the Intake Mani, can do 600whp.

Are they on Drag radials for the daily 600hwhp protege. What kind of tires/rims?

you know, hover, like a hovercraft, because of lack of traction, i don't know. don't make me explain a bad joke. but yeah, what is the size of tires that are used, what kind are they, what kind of wheels, etc.

JOMO said:
Are they on Drag radials for the daily 600hwhp protege. What kind of tires/rims?

That car is not running anymore...he dropped from the proyect, sold the protege5 and kept the engine. No clue whats going to do...

I think I have a video around of that protege5, but on that pass he broke an axle.

Right now AFAIK, 2 of the FSDE powered 323s, one is not for daily use anymore, the 2nd one havent seen the tracks yet, was already running a 1.8L w/ over 600whp...was streetable, but not used daily, just a hobby, a toy and I dont think hes going to use it in the streets anymore. Both are shooting for 8s cars and need to pass an NHRA certification I think.

On street tires, 600whp would spin 4th gear like running over soap.

JDM Sam said:
Did you not leave the stock ecu to control the a/c and alternator loads?
The stock ECU is still controlling that aspect. The master tuner that Ghost knows will be able to program this as well on the Haltech though.

build date

im looking for this build to take a little while not to long though im looking to be completely finished before next summer, and started this fall/winter *just still saving money

I can totally attest to this..heh..i drove his car just last week...my GAWD>>>.(ughdance) (omg)

Kooldino said:
Could a good tuner tune more power out of your setup? Certainly. But if you stick to 15psi on a disco, you're probably not going to get more than another 10-15% out of it. We're not talking night and day here. 250whp is far from awful.

I've seen people with your mods do far worse.

What people with your mods are doing THAT much better? Most people with discos don't break 280whp.

Then again, we can't forget that you can't exactly compare different dynos to one another. 250whp on one dyno could be 310whp on another.

@16psi on my dinosaur T3, restrictive mani, and baby intercooler, I put 274whp down. I run as high as 19psi (which is much more powerful) depending on the weather.

igdrasil said:

Find me a single shop in the states that will build you a 500hp Protege for $7K that won't break within 2 months time.

igdrasil said:
I think I have a video around of that protege5, but on that pass he broke an axle.

My point exactly. Unless you put the money into upgrading everything, things (like axles, gears, etc etc) are going to break constantly.

There is still no doubt in my mind that she should be making a lot more power. If she can get her boost to stabalize, that would be a great starting point.
My car, very very similar mods made 243 whp on 10 pounds of boost. I believe it made a little over 300 at 15, but have yet to see a dyno graph for that one. It started detonating at 15, which is why we turned it back down to 10 until we can get the timing right at 15.

Jeph said:
There is still no doubt in my mind that she should be making a lot more power. If she can get her boost to stabalize, that would be a great starting point.
My car, very very similar mods made 243 whp on 10 pounds of boost. I believe it made a little over 300 at 15, but have yet to see a dyno graph for that one. It started detonating at 15, which is why we turned it back down to 10 until we can get the timing right at 15.

What compression ratio were you running?

I heard a couple of stories about the fd block just splitting in two over 400whp. I said "Heard" people (no bashing please). I guess they just didn't prepared the block properly. But you'll definitely need a crazy build to be able to get your fs block to handle the heat and stress.

Before starting I suggess you to spend less than $30 and get a copy of Corky Bell's "Maximum Boost" so you can get a better grasp of what you need to do. Also, do a search on this forum for "Crankwalk".
?!!! What.!!!!!! Guys…. Get the engines on the dyno. Your wrong….. you can machine each cylinder to hold a few more squirter‘s to suppress some of that heat that transfers to the block…….

That's also what I mean... little is offered for our trannys for handling those kind of numbers. When you break into that realm of power you really have to know your stuff with regard to transmissions and possible fabrication? A great example illustrating my previous point: the discustingly forceful clutch and pplate you'd need to grip at those numbers would make driving anywhere but the track an absolute chore-- and you want to talk about completely relearning how to clutch again.
The excedy 3 puck would prob hold it for a bit….

Back