Any 450 to 500hp Mazdaspeed proteges out there?

hwkspeed

:
YELLOW MAZDASPEED 2003.5 Production number 3
anyone have a 450 to 500hp speed please give me some info on your block and internals, turbo and ur set up, i am currintly saving to build one myself. and any tricks hints or anything to gain power is good.

hwkspeed said:
anyone have a 450 to 500hp speed please give me some info on your block and internals, turbo and ur set up, i am currintly saving to build one myself. and any tricks hints or anything to gain power is good.

Just go to the SEARCH button up top and type in what u want to find. You'll find a few Protege's in the 400-500 whp range......and its okay if there not "Mazdaspeed" Protege's, its basically the same set-up if your looking to do a full build.

Good Luck

hwkspeed said:

i dont see why anyone would want to spend the money on a 500whp protege. traction is in issue with 300whp...

yeah, no kidding. And no, there aren't any 500hp Mazdaspeed's on here. If there are, they're on a racing team with the SCCA. Sorry. Get another platform, it's not worth spending the est. $7k to get it to those numbers.

Try more like a minimum of $10k+ if u find crazy deals on parts and hook-ups on professional tuning.......

...and thats if everything goes right the first time (smoke)

Well worth the build in my opinion, i love my baby :)

Last edited:
whatever

im doing it because no one has don it yet im reasearching like crazy and saving all my money for this so will see what happens

laracroft said:
yeah, no kidding. And no, there aren't any 500hp Mazdaspeed's on here. If there are, they're on a racing team with the SCCA. Sorry. Get another platform, it's not worth spending the est. $7k to get it to those numbers.

(cryhard)

You think you can get 500hp for 7k?

7K won't even get you the built motor and trans you'll need to handle all of that power.

Good luck! But coming from a strong MSP owner, traction will be an issue. I would look at wider wheels, better suspension, motor mounts, etc. 500whp would be rediculous in this car. Neat to see though. If you want an idea on price of the build go look and see how much Daedulus spent on his and what numbers he was at.

I heard a couple of stories about the fd block just splitting in two over 400whp. I said "Heard" people (no bashing please). I guess they just didn't prepared the block properly. But you'll definitely need a crazy build to be able to get your fs block to handle the heat and stress.

Before starting I suggess you to spend less than $30 and get a copy of Corky Bell's "Maximum Boost" so you can get a better grasp of what you need to do. Also, do a search on this forum for "Crankwalk".

SpeedBeaver said:
I heard a couple of stories about the fd block just splitting in two over 400whp. I said "Heard" people (no bashing please). I guess they just didn't prepared the block properly. But you'll definitely need a crazy build to be able to get your fs block to handle the heat and stress.

Before starting I suggess you to spend less than $30 and get a copy of Corky Bell's "Maximum Boost" so you can get a better grasp of what you need to do. Also, do a search on this forum for "Crankwalk".

well said

Kooldino said:
(cryhard)

You think you can get 500hp for 7k?

7K won't even get you the built motor and trans you'll need to handle all of that power.

Seriously. And beyond that to even get up past 300 whp you're looking at a hell of a lot more than just a motor build, you're looking at dumping at least another 7k into the transmission. What's the hp and torque ceiling on our stock transmissions--260 bhp? With the ridiculous ammount of money you'd spend to get your protege in upwards of 350 whp why not just buy a much nicer car? If you want a car that's fast, buy a car that's fast. Beyond 350 whp on a protege, I'm not even sure if you could call that remotely reliable anyway, certainly not for a daily driver.

why not support him if that what he wants to do, i say look into the MAM thumper kit and built block, about tranny i don't know where to look

YellowSpeedInNY said:
why not support him if that what he wants to do, i say look into the MAM thumper kit and built block, about tranny i don't know where to look

That's also what I mean... little is offered for our trannys for handling those kind of numbers. When you break into that realm of power you really have to know your stuff with regard to transmissions and possible fabrication? A great example illustrating my previous point: the discustingly forceful clutch and pplate you'd need to grip at those numbers would make driving anywhere but the track an absolute chore-- and you want to talk about completely relearning how to clutch again.

Last edited:
I duno, I think between 250-320 is a great number for the protege. Power that you can actully have fun with.

YellowSpeedInNY said:

I'm not NOT supporting him here, but honestly his story is a bit tired.

I've lost count of how many times I've seen an inexperienced tuner, usually from NJ want 500hp out of his protege, and end up with half that. They end up not wanting to put their money where their mouth is.

I've had such n00bies talk down to me about my "weak" setup, and how theirs will be so much better and faster. Their minds change when they ride in my car, and I still have the faster machine.

Anyway, hopefully this guy is different from the rest, and he actually does make a lot of power. I've been itching to see how much power I could make out of one of these cars at someone else's expense. If he's as serious as he sounds, maybe we could build one hell of a car. But 500hp? Not on the street.

Back