Any 450 to 500hp Mazdaspeed proteges out there?

nvmsp said:
Make Manuel give you the F10x, let him tune it and see what happens. Maybe he'll do it , who knows.

I don't understand how they can tune Superprotege, and not yours.
I'm not downgrading to just fuel and letting the stock ECU handle the timing. I spent more money on it, so I'm just going to leave it the way it is until I get it tuned.

The reason why Superprotege's car runs so great, is that they gutted it, put slicks on the track and he's had the car in his shop for several weeks at a time. From what I hear, the guy has spent almost 20k on it so far. I don't have several more weeks to give my car up. He had it for several weeks before and here I am. So who knows, but I DO KNOW, I dont have many options.

There is however another tuner at Sou. FL. Performance that Mike knows. He can tune mine and get the A/C programmed as well which isn't on there now. He's a master tuner and prefers the Haltech to most any other system. He can also gaurantee that after 2 days, the Haltech will be running perfect or I get my money back. The only problem... his knowledge and expertise doesn't come cheap. It would cost me $500 and again...he's down in South Florida. :(

Last edited:
hello

i have decided after looking into block specs and tranny upgrades that im gonna shot for 400hp at high boost and around 325-350hp at low boost with NO nitrous. right now im looking into turbos for my build i think i might go with a garret gt 30, but from what i heard hear on the forums its that the new gt 28rs has better spool times and same hp rating.

laracroft said:
I know.... don't make me cry damnit. It's a problem that will hopefully get fixed in another month. If not, I'm burning the car to the ground and moving to Japan to get my Integra back.... (ughdance)

whatever happend to "ima keep this car till it dies" :), i went from an integra to the MSP too(first)

hwkspeed said:
i have decided after looking into block specs and tranny upgrades that im gonna shot for 400hp at high boost and around 325-350hp at low boost with NO nitrous. right now im looking into turbos for my build i think i might go with a garret gt 30, but from what i heard hear on the forums its that the new gt 28rs has better spool times and same hp rating.

(mswerd) the GT28RS is a great turbo for the protege.

Quick spool and it pulls harder in higher rpms than the stock turbo ever will. A msp with the right bolt ons and ems will put down nice numbers for the street (alright)

YellowSpeedInNY said:
whatever happend to "ima keep this car till it dies" :), i went from an integra to the MSP too(first)

i stepped up from a civic.....do they have a thread of pic's of speed owners previous rides?? that'd be kinda cool.

If you're looking to get 400whp i'd get a bigger turbo than the 28rs, because to hit that nimber, you're going to A) need to flow a lot more air at higher rpms, B) definitely need a built motor, C) build that motor with a little higher compression.

Duh, I can do this in 4 steps:

1: Buy MSP
2: Buy LS1 motor
3: ???
4: 500hp MSP

Still working on step 3.

pluto316 said:
Duh, I can do this in 4 steps:

1: Buy MSP
2: Buy LS1 motor
3: ???
4: 500hp MSP

Still working on step 3.

How about a 2JZ-GTE instead? Then step 4 would be more like 800+hp with stock internals!

laracroft said:
Its on the link on my signature @ HIN City.

Impressive list of mods. Its unfortunate that its not working out as of right now. You have a great setup thou :) when it comes down to it if you cant get it tuned and running properly your fuc***. I hope this other guy you were talking about can get your s*** running properly because you should defnaitly be @ 300whp

hwkspeed said:

gt 28rs is to small for 400 horse :D. What do you plan on doing with your car, is it just going to be for drags ect? If you want it streetable and to be able to have fun with it, you should lower that top hp goal to about 350 (which I still think is going to be impossible to manage that power /w out slicks)

What exactly are your goals with the car, what do you plan on doing with it and is it going to be a dialy driver still?

69RMSP said:
Impressive list of mods. Its unfortunate that its not working out as of right now. You have a great setup thou :) when it comes down to it if you cant get it tuned and running properly your fuc***. I hope this other guy you were talking about can get your s*** running properly because you should defnaitly be @ 300whp

gt 28rs is to small for 400 horse :D. What do you plan on doing with your car, is it just going to be for drags ect? If you want it streetable and to be able to have fun with it, you should lower that top hp goal to about 350 (which I still think is going to be impossible to manage that power /w out slicks)

What exactly are your goals with the car, what do you plan on doing with it and is it going to be a dialy driver still?
Hit it right on the nose. A good tune will get you some great numbers and right now, my tuning sucks. I might have to pay more money in the long run, but hopefully with a master tuner, it will be money well spent. I'm not looking to get huge gains. I just want enough to be happy, not worry about anything going BOOM and occasionally take it to the track every so often. And yes, trying to get anything to the wheels after 250whp or more is a challenge. If you want more hp and tq, get an awd car.

About the turbo: Myself and some others have the GT-28RS, yes, the spool timing is supposed to be quicker than the GT-25, but its still a small turbo overall. You can get to 350whp alot faster with a bigger turbo than the ones we have, plus you won't have to feel let down once it's tapered off. That thing will only give you so much "punch" until it reaches it's peak. And then once it does... you wonder why you didn't get something bigger for the same amount of money you'll be spending on the GT28.

Last edited:
MSP608 said:
read the lil hin profile thing.......running forged internals and only makin 247?? aaannnddd with a disco potato?

Since when is 247 bad?

hwkspeed said:

Now you're talking.

A GT30R is a good place to start. When you're ready to buy, drop me a line. You'll need a lot of other goodies to go with that.

247hp would be a bad thing when your shooting for 400hp. Oh and what would be needed to run a GT30 turbo, manifold, downpipe, injectors, an EMS and an front mount intercooler right?

Kooldino said:
Since when is 247 bad?
Its not bad... if you DON'T have my listed mods.

It's bad when you DO and other people are getting ALOT more on a good tune. Gimme a break. (RTM)

So how much are you making to the wheels again Dino?

orng1 said:
247hp would be a bad thing when your shooting for 400hp.

I don't think Lara was shooting for 400hp.

Oh and what would be needed to run a GT30 turbo, manifold, downpipe, injectors, an EMS and an front mount intercooler right?

Sure.

laracroft said:
Its not bad... if you DON'T have my listed mods.
Could a good tuner tune more power out of your setup? Certainly. But if you stick to 15psi on a disco, you're probably not going to get more than another 10-15% out of it. We're not talking night and day here. 250whp is far from awful.

I've seen people with your mods do far worse.

It's bad when you DO and other people are getting ALOT more on a good tune. Gimme a break. (RTM)
What people with your mods are doing THAT much better? Most people with discos don't break 280whp.

Then again, we can't forget that you can't exactly compare different dynos to one another. 250whp on one dyno could be 310whp on another.

So how much are you making to the wheels again Dino?
@16psi on my dinosaur T3, restrictive mani, and baby intercooler, I put 274whp down. I run as high as 19psi (which is much more powerful) depending on the weather.

Back