A barrel of oil currently at $125. Should we stock up on motor oil?

:
2018 CX-5 Sport
I bought a couple 5 quart bottles in November when oil was on sale. Now with the war and the government banning Russian oil, do you think it is prudent to stock up on motor oil before the prices go up? It's a double whammy, transporting it in trucks will make it go up and the base oil price will make it go up. I am thinking of purchasing some extra oil now but it is not on sale.

I bought a couple 5 quart bottles in November when oil was on sale. Now with the war and the government banning Russian oil, do you think it is prudent to stock up on motor oil before the prices go up? It's a double whammy, transporting it in trucks will make it go up and the base oil price will make it go up. I am thinking of purchasing some extra oil now but it is not on sale.
We use full synthetic oil that should be less affected by crude oil price?

Although the crude oil price hasn’t been the all time high, but somehow the gas price is right now in the US. $3.89 / gal regular at the Shell gas station nearby. It was $3.21 when I pumped the gas for my CX-5 last week!

$3.89/gal?
That is cheap.

Just saw a gas station in Santa Clara... $6.99/gal.
That is outrageous, but my nearby gas station has it at $5.89/gal (87 octane).

⋯ Just saw a gas station in Santa Clara... $6.99/gal. That is outrageous, but my nearby gas station has it at $5.89/gal (87 octane).
There’s a reason why Costco gas stations in Bay Area, actually in entire state of California, always have super long lines waiting for gas!

Interesting point OP. I notice my specific 0w20 are harder to come by due to covid/inventory issues ect.

I could be wrong but Shell's Pennzoil Platinum line of oils are made from natural gas......not sure how much crude oil they use?

This September the new engine oil specification is due out (G3 will replace G2) and is a fairly big jump in engine protection.

Filled up yesterday at Marathon in Miami, FL - $4.19/gallon for 87. I've the prices range from 4.09 to 4.39 when I drive.

I think I'll be using my work car, a Chevy Volt, for my day to day more often.

One of the problems with stocking up is all of a sudden supply is quickly depleted....further fueling (no pun) price increases.

10 quarts could be as much as 30k miles. I'd smile smugly at my good fortune and wait for prices to recover.

I'm not a petroleum engineer, but I know that different types of oil are used for different refining purposes. Is the crude used in synthetics (yes, synthetics still use crude) the same as that is used to be refined in to gasoline?

Back