30,000-mile service

Ever since I bought my 2019 CX-5 new in May of that year I have been aware of the dealer-recommended 30,000-mile service, as it is posted on a sign right inside the front door of the dealership. Up until recently, it was listed as being $499.95, but apparently now inflation has hit my dealership and they've raised the price $60. My CX-5 just hit 29K miles so this is on my mind now, and my first question is: How much of this is really necessary? I don't need the tire rotation, for one thing, because I get that done for free at BJ's, having replaced my OEM tires there; and they tell me I don't need an alignment. Even if I got both of those done, anyway, and everything else on their list (and even with the "Save $20!" offer), the price seems really, really high to me. I know my old mechanic would do all of this for much less -- probably hundreds less -- but would I risk voiding what's left of my 3/36K warranty? Is there any other reason I shouldn't go outside the dealership for this service? And do I really need to have all of this done? Some of it, at least, seems iffy to me.

I should note that my dealership has always tried to get me to change the oil every 5K miles, rather than the 7.5K it says in the manual, claiming that where we live (northern New England) is an "extreme climate zone." So, yeah...I kinda don't fully trust them already.

P.S. I just got the attached 30K reminder in the mail today; it saves me from having to type all that out. So there's that, at least.

Attachments

• Mazda 30,000 mile service.jpg
    Mazda 30,000 mile service.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 250
pretty much most of it is bollocks to me.
There is no 'specific' 30k service.

Only the usual oil change, rotation (if wanted) and air filters (engine and cabin) if they were never changed. The filters you can buy them on your own and change it.
Dont fall for those cheap tricks by the dealerships.
You can also service the car anywhete as long as you use zMazda recommended oil and oil filter and keep the receipts/records.

For extreme cold I would recommend to lube the door seals on your own to prevent freezing if car sits outside a lot.
Frequent oil change helps the car although it doesnt help the wallet but for me its ok. I also follow the 6mo/5k miles but I live in extreme hot and dusty area.
Battery can be tested for free at most Auto shops. I am guessing should be the same for where you live.

Last edited:
The owners manual doesn't specify all of these services.

You might be due for a new air filter and some people might say some kind of injector cleaner, like a $6.99 bottle of Techron, might be good.

Some people might consider a transmission ATF drain and fill.

The dealer is probably thinking it's about time for you to buy a whole new car, but they also make lots of money on "30,000 mile service".

Follow the scheduled maintenance in your Owner's Manual, according to the conditions the car is subject to (ie. Schedule 1, or Schedule 2).

If you DIY, keep all receipts for the parts purchased, and keep a detailed log that notes the date, mileage, parts replaced/inspected and type of service done.

If you have the car serviced at a shop or dealer, keep all invoices for work done, and ensure that the shop uses OEM parts (buy the OEM parts yourself and keep receipts for these parts if the shop doesn't supply them). Maintenance services should be done according to the Owner's Manual, not based on recommendations from the shop.

All of the extra stuff the dealer offers that isn't specified in the Owner's Manual is not required, and is generally just for profit generation.

Follow the scheduled maintenance in your Owner's Manual, according to the conditions the car is subject to (ie. Schedule 1, or Schedule 2).

All of the extra stuff the dealer offers that isn't specified in the Owner's Manual is not required, and is generally just for profit generation.
This 30k service stuff is nothing but a money grab.
90% of it is nothing more than "inspections", which means they take a cursory look at stuff, and then come up with all sorts of bogus "issues" that need to be addressed, at additional cost of course.
Some of the stuff on that list is laughable. Who comes up with this stuff anyway?
I can see them sitting in a conference room, brainstorming for ideas on what they can add to the list that some sucker will pay for.
I mean, throttle body service, fuel tank conditioner, BG fuel induction service (whatever that means), etc. Really?

To the OP, just do your regular maintenance as per the service schedule in your manual, and there should be no problem with the warranty. The rest of that stuff? Well, if you want to throw your money away, then OK. If not, say thanks but no thanks. Good luck.

Trust the owner's manual. Do what it says for 30k and your driving conditions.

Most of that you can do for yourself.
If you want to spoil the car, you can change the trans, diff and xfer case lube every 30k. It is called out if you are towing.
At some point you should change the brake fluid, but Mazda doesn't call for it, ever, and not at 2 years. I had the brake fluid changed in my Miata at 10 years.
Redline SI-1 every 10k will clean your injectors and keep them clean.
Filter changes are easy.
Fuel tank conditioner!?! Does it have split ends?
The 30k intake cleaning IS a good idea, but again, not recommended by Mazda. A good cleaning with this at 60k brought back about 3 mpg on the highway. https://www.autozone.com/fuel-and-e...tp-pro-series-intake-valve-cleaner/895149_0_0

Zenger,
Don't buy in to the XY-k mile services.
If you add up all the services listed, $540 is a decent price to pay.
However, as said above, many of those are not necessary.
You don't even know if they actually do the services....

Read the owner's manual and itemize what needs to be done.
Collect coupon for each before going to dealers.
Coupons can be found on dealers' website or MazdaUSA.com (under "Owner" tab).

At 30k miles, the only things you need are an oil change, tire rotation, and maybe the filter changes if they haven't already been done. All that "inspection" stuff is already done for free by Mazda dealers as part of their Full Circle Inspection they do for all vehicles that go into the service dept.
Getting the alignment checked at 30k isn't a bad idea though

Ever since I bought my 2019 CX-5 new in May of that year I have been aware of the dealer-recommended 30,000-mile service, as it is posted on a sign right inside the front door of the dealership. Up until recently, it was listed as being $499.95, but apparently now inflation has hit my dealership and they've raised the price $60. My CX-5 just hit 29K miles so this is on my mind now, and my first question is: How much of this is really necessary? I don't need the tire rotation, for one thing, because I get that done for free at BJ's, having replaced my OEM tires there; and they tell me I don't need an alignment. Even if I got both of those done, anyway, and everything else on their list (and even with the "Save $20!" offer), the price seems really, really high to me. I know my old mechanic would do all of this for much less -- probably hundreds less -- but would I risk voiding what's left of my 3/36K warranty? Is there any other reason I shouldn't go outside the dealership for this service? And do I really need to have all of this done? Some of it, at least, seems iffy to me.

I should note that my dealership has always tried to get me to change the oil every 5K miles, rather than the 7.5K it says in the manual, claiming that where we live (northern New England) is an "extreme climate zone." So, yeah...I kinda don't fully trust them already.

P.S. I just got the attached 30K reminder in the mail today; it saves me from having to type all that out. So there's that, at least.
There is another thread with good information on this. 30,000 Mile Maintenance Quote

As noted in earlier posts, , the consensus is that the 30,000 service offering is an unnecessary money grab. I scheduled “35,000 mile” service - basically a synthetic oil and filter change and tire rotation - on my dealer’s website and had the work done today. It was about $100 (I forgot my coupon) and also included a full circle inspection report. The report showed excellent conditions for my air filter, cabin filter, and wiper blades, because I recently changed them myself. So glad I didn’t spend 4 times as much for 30,000 service, even though my 2018 CX-5 is at approximately 30,000 miles.

Back