2024 CX-5 GS Ride Quality and Noise Levels

No.
65% from 225 vs 70% from 235.
less than an inch is about right. Even that its enough more sidewall. Are you looking for more cushioned ride?
Its not only the sidewall but its also about the rubber and tire construction. But 235 70 16 should be a bit better for comfort. Unless using some cheap chinese replica tires :)
Hm more cushion.isnt 65 vs 70 aspect ratio going to help too? 17 to 16 diameter also?

Hm more cushion.isnt 65 vs 70 aspect ratio going to help too? 17 to 16 diameter also?
I just did the math for you using the ratio as a % that's how it's calculated. If you can get 235/70/16 combined with slightly lower pressure 30-32 PSI that should help cushion the ride.

225/65 sidewall is 146.25 MM or about 5.8"
225/70 sidewall is 157.5 MM or about 6.2 "
235/70 sidewall is 164.5 MM or about 6.5 "

I just did the math for you using the ratio as a % that's how it's calculated. If you can get 235/70/16 combined with slightly lower pressure 30-32 PSI that should help cushion the ride.

225/65 sidewall is 146.25 MM or about 5.8"
225/70 sidewall is 157.5 MM or about 6.2 "
235/70 sidewall is 164.5 MM or about 6.5 "
Darn it dude thanks I'll get the Michelin X-Ice Snow 235/70R16 and steel rims 16x6.5", 40 to 50 offset and 67.1 bore 😴, 5x114.3 🥺😊😋

Weird how do they manage that.

I was talking to Parts engine.ca and they gave me alloys that were 16x6.5 to fit 235. Said it's fine....

🫥
The stock tire at 225/55/19 is 2 inches wider than the stock 7" wheel. You want to stay within 1-2". If you're going down to 6.5", I would stay at 215-225 on tire width.

The stock tire at 225/55/19 is 2 inches wider than the stock 7" wheel. You want to stay within 1-2". If you're going down to 6.5", I would stay at 215-225 on tire width.
Hm can I use 16x7 at least?

7.5 is limited choices especially no steel rims which I prefer for winter ❄️ 🥶

Hm can I use 16x7 at least?

7.5 is limited choices especially no steel rims which I prefer for winter ❄️ 🥶
I'm looking for the section width but Tire Rack doesn't have the tire in that size. Are you sure that's a real size offered for that tire?

At this point I'm convinced the answer is to swap to Koni FSD shocks (Special Active). The problem is Koni does not make them for 2nd gen!

We have to either find an equivalent model for another car or bug the hell out of Koni to make them.

At this point I'm convinced the answer is to swap to Koni FSD shocks (Special Active). The problem is Koni does not make them for 2nd gen!

We have to either find an equivalent model for another car or bug the hell out of Koni to make them.
Or convince Mazda and aftermarket to make comfort springs or adaptive suspension 😐 🙊 😅

This is a good summary.

Unfortunately they aren't meant for lowering springs.

You'll also see talk of them on Tesla and BMW forums.

Last edited:
Or convince Mazda and aftermarket to make comfort springs or adaptive suspension 😐 🙊 😅
Mazda makes fun to drive daily cars. The CX-5 is a crossover. It's already as comfortable as a Mazda can be. If you want softer, there are other companies out there such as Lexus which likely use a similar chassis, but have it tuned for better comfort.

I think you'll only be happy with your ride once you change it to something which actually provides you with the additional ride comfort you're looking for. Mazda's are fairly firm and designed to be precise and engaging around turns.

I totally forgot to mention, your gripes with the ride comfort on your car could be something as simple as slightly overinflated tires.

Check the inside of the drivers door jamb for a sticker with the recommended tire pressure. (For example, mine is 36PSI.) That's the cold tire pressure. Have a little pressure gauge handy. I got a decent analog one from Canadian Tire. Check your tire pressures in the morning, after your car has sat for several hours, and before sunlight gets a chance to beam onto your tire's sidewalls and warm them up. You won't get an accurate reading.

I find that, the recommended tire pressure (36psi) is a bit rough over the worst of roads here. I inflate somewhere around 35-36psi, no lower or higher than that.

Keep in mind, every ~5c fluctuation in outdoor temp will cause a roughly 1psi variation in pressure onto your tires. On sunny days where the sun is exposed onto your sidewalls, again, this will cause pressure to increase inside the tires as well.

If I am aiming for a 35-36PSI cold tire temperature, I find roughly 38-39PSI warm temp seems to work well.

I highly recommend you tinker with the cold and warm tire pressures thoroughly first before deciding that there is something you need to change with your car or it's tires.

FWIW, I like a firmer ride, and sharp handling. I am willing to make some sacrifice over rough road surfaces to maintain the handling response i'm looking for. However, this is still a sedan (in your case, a crossover,) which ultimately is designed to be a comfortable car.

I totally forgot to mention, your gripes with the ride comfort on your car could be something as simple as slightly overinflated tires.

Check the inside of the drivers door jamb for a sticker with the recommended tire pressure. (For example, mine is 36PSI.) That's the cold tire pressure. Have a little pressure gauge handy. I got a decent analog one from Canadian Tire. Check your tire pressures in the morning, after your car has sat for several hours, and before sunlight gets a chance to beam onto your tire's sidewalls and warm them up. You won't get an accurate reading.

I find that, the recommended tire pressure (36psi) is a bit rough over the worst of roads here. I inflate somewhere around 35-36psi, no lower or higher than that.

Keep in mind, every ~5c fluctuation in outdoor temp will cause a roughly 1psi variation in pressure onto your tires. On sunny days where the sun is exposed onto your sidewalls, again, this will cause pressure to increase inside the tires as well.

If I am aiming for a 35-36PSI cold tire temperature, I find roughly 38-39PSI warm temp seems to work well.

I highly recommend you tinker with the cold and warm tire pressures thoroughly first before deciding that there is something you need to change with your car or it's tires.

FWIW, I like a firmer ride, and sharp handling. I am willing to make some sacrifice over rough road surfaces to maintain the handling response i'm looking for. However, this is still a sedan (in your case, a crossover,) which ultimately is designed to be a comfortable car.
I might lower tire pressure 😕 idk.
Or I will get winter tires soon. 235/70R16 Michelin X-Ice or VikingContact7 on 5x114.3 6.5x16 steelies.

Going to be unstoppable 🤪🥹🙊😭

Back